UK set to view 86 million hours of TV this Christmas - news discussion

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
UK set to view 86 million hours of TV this Christmas | AVForums

A survey predicts the nation's festive viewing habits for Xmas 2013.

Will you be switching on at 10am like most on Christmas Day and how much of your viewing will be done through catch-up services?

Most importantly, what programming are you looking forward to this festive season? If any...

Emmerdale, Eastenders, Coronation Street and Home Alone is about it for Christmas Day.

According to the Mirror, 6 1/2 hours of Christmas Day TV will be repeats on BBC One and total 290 hours repeats over that week.

As I don't watch period dramas or kids programmes I will be watching Dr Who on Christmas Day and Still open all hours on Boxing Day and then hitting the blurays.

I live in the South West, so I guess everyone is out in the morning attending church or hunting defenceless animals before tuning into the Queen's speech. As an anti-bloodsports republican atheist I shall be doing none of those things but I probably won't watch much live TV either, apart from Doctor Who.

If the TV does go on at 10.00 am it'll be for DVD, Blue or any recordings we haven't watched. We'll be watching Dr Who, Mrs Brown's Boys and The Tractate Middoth but not necessarily on the day itself.

Bri

Just Open all hours and Dr Who for me. The films are the same every year now.

Channel 5 are showing a best Christmas film programme on Christmas Eve then repeating it on Christmas Day afternoon !!

The days when, as a kid, I would excitedly buy the Christmas issues of the Radio Times and TV Times and then plan out my entire Christmas holiday viewing are very much a thing of the past.

The days when, as a kid, I would excitedly buy the Christmas issues of the Radio Times and TV Times and then plan out my entire Christmas holiday viewing are very much a thing of the past.

Completely agree there Steve. I bought the Radio Times this weekend and one of my first thoughts was that ITV on Christmas Day afternoon looked no different than their normal weekday schedule.

The TV over Christmas is generally crap and has been for years. You get a few gems but far too many repeats of old programs.

i also used to look forward to the radio times / tv times xmas editions (back when they only covered their own channels) as a youngster. With sky, blu ray etc my kids don't know they are born etc

corrie and dr who about the only things i will be watching (and top of the pops on xmas day whilst snoozing from the xmas dinner)

I used to record on a dozen or so 4 hour tapes each year. I haven't done that for about for 20 years.

I want to watch my box set of Breaking Bad on blu ray from my wife - but probably not good viewing in front of my 7 year old daughter, mum and mother in law ...... Miss those dilemas of what to record on what tape nwgarratt, as now can record on multiple HDD, but as many others have said the magic of the radio times/tv times of yesteryear seem a dim and distant past, or maybe just getting too old...

+1. I remember doing that as well! I think I drew up a table for a few years. Those days are well and truly gone.

Organising the video recorder was my job too.

Emmerdale, Eastenders, Coronation Street and Home Alone is about it for Christmas Day.

Sounds like a nightmare!

That part sounds like a dream come true. Sadly I'll have to put up with the family again :laugh:.

I still scan through the radio times for anything unique by the terrestrial channels, but whereas I used to highlight it with a felt tip, I add it to the Sky planner instead. Progress for you.

Probably a lot less than usual tbh, christmas tv (or rather tv shows where they have to shoe horn christmas into) is generally awful, a lot weaker than it usually is.

I used to record on a dozen or so 4 hour tapes each year. I haven't done that for about for 20 years.
I used to do the same but used 3 hour tapes. I really don't know why I bothered because i never got round to watching the stuff I recorded. I used to tape over everything the following Christmas.

I used to do the same but used 3 hour tapes. I really don't know why I bothered because i never got round to watching the stuff I recorded. I used to tape over everything the following Christmas.

By the time I got around to catching up with everything, it felt pretty weird to watch a rotating Christmas pudding before the BBC programmes started.....in March, :)

Apart from Home Alone for the 100th time (KEVIN!!!!), I couldn't think of anything worse. But, that's what will be on at the mother in laws where I will be. :(

Will just take my iPad round with a couple of films on it.

Blimey, Radio and TV Times. That takes me back, my mum used to buy them, what? 2 weeks before Christmas?

Loved looking at what was on, and getting the video's ready for a bit of LP action so I could fit more on to never get round to watching!

But got to love the EPG now.

Probably a lot less than usual tbh, christmas tv (or rather tv shows where they have to shoe horn christmas into) is generally awful, a lot weaker than it usually is.
I agree, can't say I’ll be watching anything differently on the 25th December, not sure why there is such a fixation with this time of the year?

Sounds like a nightmare!
I've got that used to watching soaps over the years it doesn't bother me anymore. There's nothing like watching Eastenders to depress you on Christmas day. There is the occasional gem of a storyline, Cameron in Emmerdale was one.

I'm beyond help.

That part sounds like a dream come true.
Sure is. Never get tired of watching Home Alone. I watched Home Alone 5 the other day and to say it was poor would be an understatement.

I have been saving Person of Interest and Arrow for over Christmas so I wont be watching anything on standard channels just playing from my computer.

I watched Home Alone 5 the other day and to say it was poor would be an understatement.

I liked it, was a lot better than #4 but found the hacking and police response times to be funny lol.

Not to mention
After the police macing the poor bastard the next scene has them all eating take out on the couch lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom