UK radio spectrum

Astraeus

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's not frowned upon to discuss this any longer, given the deluge of topics regarding the subject in recent days/weeks. Anyway, I've just purchased an Audiax II FM transmitter to play my Sony NW-HD3 through the car stereo. The unit was recommended to be used, in order to achieve best sound quality and clarity, on 88.1 FM frequency. Unfortunately, a local station assumes 88.6 as its home and slight interference can be encountered from 88.0-88.9. This got me thinking, is there an image which covers the frequencies used by radio stations so I can allot the Audiax to the largest 'empty' frequency on the radio spectrum?

Hi

The best thing to do is to manually tune your radio until you hear nothing but 'pure' noise with no interference.

Next, drive around a bit with the radio on that frequency so you are certain it's definitely clear.

You can then set your FM transmitter to this frequency.

There are tables available for the frequencies in use in each region. They are impossible to interpret because each transmitter operates at a different power level and there are so many local environmental factors involved.

Steve

Thanks for the quick and proper response. By 'pure' noise, do you mean effectively a silence or should there be a pitch tone? Any recommendations for what sort of region in the spectrum I should be looking at for South Yorkshire.

Hi

You're looking for pure hiss. Hard to describe really - not a tone, just noise without any interference.

Most FM transmitters that I've come across are poor at the upper frequencies so I'd keep as low as you can.

Regards,

Steve

Congratulations on making a wise choice in a unit which covers the entire FM band. There are several about which only operate on a few spot frequencies, usually at the more crowded bottom end of the FM band, which consequently can make them virtually unusable.

Regarding a clear frwquency; you'll find that if you venture even a relatively short distance from home you'll likely have to change the frequency anyway, there is no one frequency you can rely on universally.

I travel quite a bit and find 107.9 to be pretty useable in a good many areas but there's no getting away from the fact that you'll have to play with it to get the best results wherever you happen to be.

Also, to minimise interference, you may find it useful to remove your car radio antenna if it's possible.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom