UK Panny ES10 no good in Switzerland?

videomitch

Standard Member
Reaction score
Took a UK bought Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder to use in Switzerland but the TV channels ( supplied thru cable) are not stored properly-bad picture and lot of sound distortion. Can anybody tell me what I've done wrong, please.

videomitch said:
Took a UK bought Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder to use in Switzerland but the TV channels ( supplied thru cable) are not stored properly-bad picture and lot of sound distortion. Can anybody tell me what I've done wrong, please.

You didn't check/think to ask before you bought. :rolleyes:
Switzerland uses a different TV broadcasting standard from the UK.

The UK tuner will not work properly in Switzerland, but the AV inputs and outputs (e.g. the SCART connectors) should work normally.

JayCee said:
You didn't check/think to ask before you bought. :rolleyes:
Switzerland uses a different TV broadcasting standard from the UK.
Thanks, Jaycee. What system do they use and can it be made to work with a hack?

maldonian said:
The UK tuner will not work properly in Switzerland, but the AV inputs and outputs (e.g. the SCART connectors) should work normally.
Thanks, Maldonian. AV etc did work, so at least I've got a DVD player!!!!

Switzerland uses PAL B whereas UK uses PAL I - the difference is in the audio carrier frequency.See here:-
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/broadcast.html#country

I don't know if your recorder RF tuner input can be altered in the menu setup.Have a look.
Alternatively you may need to install a cable decoder box between the cable input and the Panny which could then be linked using AV connections which would bypass the RF problem.

Thanks, Pinatubo. RF tuner input can't be altered (I think!) Where would I buy a cable decoder? Don't want to be stupid twice!

Switzerland uses PAL-B (VHF) and PAL-G (UHF), the UK uses PAL-I (UHF). The principal difference between PAL-B/G and PAL-I is the sound to vision carrier spacing (PAL B/G: 5.5 MHz, PAL I: 6 MHz). TV tuners use this fixed spacing to receive the sound (a technique called inter-carrier sound). The sound circuit in a UK TV (or recorder) is tuned to a fixed frequency of 6 MHz. If you take a UK TV or recorder to a PAL-B/G country the sound circuit will be incorrectly tuned for the 5.5 MHz inter-carrier sound. Another difference in Switzerland is the extra sound carrier used to transmit stereo sound (the UK uses Nicam). I think the intercarrier spacing of the other carrier is 5.74 MHz.

The tuning is probably achieved by a ceramic filter. Multistandard tuners have several filters and switch between them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom