1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK out in the cold - until Internet2

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by simonharris, Mar 22, 2003.

1. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When we cancelled our plans (a few years ago) to be part of the HDTV market, we guaranteed our place at the bottom of the worldwide TV ladder. UK broadcasters have no plans to introduce HDTV to the UK, even as an increasing number of display devices (Plasma, DLP projectors) become HDTV compatible.

Why should sky use up "valuable" channel bandwidth on HDTV when they can use it on crap like staggered +1hr cartoon programming, customer demo channels, third rate movie channels that nobody watches and more?

It looks like the US and UK have firmly switched places, we used to lead the world in terms of quality television and the US used to offer tons of crap, now the tables have turned and we have no plans to turn them back. The US have superb quality television and lead the world with drama, news and documentary.

Here is the good news - eventually we will have HDTV in the UK, it will come from the USA and will leave UK broadcasters out in the cold. We will have live streaming HDTV content via internet2, you will watch HDTV in a browser window on your computer using realplayer or windows media, or watch movies on Blu-Ray DVD. We don't need the BBC, hopefully in a few years the Beeb will have marginalised themselves so much that this dinosaur of an organisation will cease to exist.

Soon, the internet and TV will converge, we will have a huge amount of choice and quailty and with streaming HD video on demand we will watch what we want, when we want and at whatever quality we choose.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Not from what I saw, on holiday in Orlando we had 100 channels of pure crap, the few bits that were worth watching were ruined by too many add breaks. Also in the US many /most? HDTV films aren't even shown in their original aspect ratio and are often upconverted and not HD, so whats the point?

3. simonharris

simonharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice to see that the moderator thinks all US TV is crap and HDTV is a waste of time.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    As the owner of a 9" Barco CRT projector, I certainly don't think HDTV is a waste of time. I just want to see it done properly.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Jeff is correct. Much of HDTV in US is upconverted SD. 2.35:! flms are pan and scanned to 16:9 often. As with all these things though it'll get better.....

Also I think that UK actually has got some cracking original TV programming, certainly enough to compete with US.

Gordon

Oh and I agree with Jeff about add breaks in US...Still their adds are a right laugh... When I was there for CEDIA in Sept we had the adds from Saudi Arabia saying "please don't bomb us we are your chums, we love you...honest" Then at CES in Jan we had the ecological parties adds that said "If you drive an SUV you are supporting international terrorism...." Love it!

:laugh:

6. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have seen several HD films from HBO and Showtime and they are far superior to any DVD.

There are no adverts during the film, or any logo bugs on the screen.

If we had this sort of quality over here are would be absolutely ecstatic.