1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK or USA ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by T_om, Dec 30, 2004.

1. T_om

T_om

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have around £400+ to spend on a new camcorder, can anybody recommend a decent model?

i am going to the states in two months, am i wise to hold on and make my purchase there for half the money? what are the cons when buying in the states?

Any feedback would be most welcome.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Cheaper USA v UK purchase of a camcorder has been covered on a few occassions in the past. This thread should cover what you need to know.

Mark.

3. T_om

T_om

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much !
    :)
    After reading the sent threads, i will not take the risk of buying from the states.

Any recommendations on a decent camcorder in the U.K. for about £400

i am currently using a Panasonic DS27. Looking to upgrade

Cheers

4. El Indio

El Indio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from phsical size, do not expect much of an 'upgrade'. DV camcorders have not changed much in five years (from video POV). 1/4 inch CCD (like in your cam) is still considered 'desirable'.

The 3CCD Panasonic GS120 seems like the biggest leap you could make, although it may be slightly outside your budget (in the UK that is!).

El

5. DirkoDick

DirkoDick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the Pana NV-GS400E. The PAL model is sold in the US and a helluva lot cheaper than can be bought in the UK or in Aussie. Even with paying taxes etc it is still half the price for me to buy in the US and ship it to Australia. I could buy 2 to cover warranty problems and after warranty period sell one and still be in front

6. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bought mine a couple of weeks ago for £420 at ebuyer ;)

7. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I looked into buyng in the US (my brother-in-law lives over there and was coming over for xmas) and in the end decided it wasnt worth it. The price difference is negligible between the PAL versions, and the really cheap ones you find in the US tend to be gret imports already. You will not get any Panasonic warranty.