1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK or US Gamecube

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by robfitzp, Jul 25, 2003.

1. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thinking of buying a gamecube. Which is the better option, a UK or imported US version?

Will be using on Sony HS10 projector so want the best video quality.

Can UK use US games and vice versa?

Do US versions run at higher res?

Cheers
    Rob.

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If you want to play US games on a UK cube, and vice-versa, you will need to buy the Freeloader, which is about £15-20. US games are generally cheaper (try DVDboxoffice.com and pay in Canadian dollars), and available sooner, plus there are also some games that will never see the light of day over here, like the excellent Animal Crossing. US games are also all full screen and 60 Hz - only some UK games are - plus some of them can utilise Progressive Scan, which no UK games do.

If you're going to be using a projector, I'd say go for a US cube, and groundy would certainly agree with me.

3. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    robfitzp,

I have a UK cube on my HS10 and it does show up the dreaded jaggies so a US cube would be better in that respect, but 575 lines versus 480 is quite a difference in vertical resolution. I run my cube in 50 Hz just to get the 575 resolution....its not to bad.

You will also need the Nintendo component lead for the best picture quality which can be got here.....

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=1468&AID=10273941&PID=613288

First class site and my lead took about a week to arrive it was £27 all in.

Klippie.

4. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks both,

Will have a look on that site.

Cheers

Rob

5. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem I had with my US GameCube was color bleeding on my TV. The edges of green objects displayed were affected quite badly, bleeding into other colors. To rectify this problem I purchased an NTSC RGB cable for £39.99 and all is well, a much clearer picture. I don't know if you will get this problem with a new projector but it's worth investing in a high-quality cable as previously stated.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This was nothing to do with the fact you were using a US Cube though - but rather because your original connection method was Composite Video. S-Video would have been an improvement with RGB and Component Video being the best. Got to say, when I originally came up with the RGB Scart Cable for Import Cubes, I never envisaged them selling for £39.99 - one of the reasons why it is no longer economical for me to make them. There are varying degrees of quality though ;).

As to the original poster's question. I agree with t-force - always buy Import. Freeloader has loads of compatibility issues - the latest being F-Zero. Just buy an import Cube and official Component Video cable :).

7. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, nothing to do with the GameCube, just the conversion by TV made from an NTSC signal.

Were you one of the first people to modify an RGB cable?

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes :). After "Oscar" found the Component to RGB DAC modification for RGB HV via VGA, I modified it further and came up with the first working RGB Scart Cable for import Cubes (adding a Composite Sync signal). I posted the step-by-step instructions for making the cables on my site at:

http://www.rgbcube.co.uk

Every RGB Scart Cable for Import Cubes coming out of HK or wherever is based on the instructions above. I made the information free for anyone interested in making their own cables.

9. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, it's a great pleasure to meet you Mr. 'improve-my-picture-quality"! I am highly impressed, those companies must have made a hell of a lot of money off your creation.

10. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks but all credit goes to Oscar really - the Composite Sync mod was a simple addition :). This was never a commercial interest for me anyway.

Not an exageration at all actually. Freeloader does have loads of problems with loads of games. There are no free fixes for Freeloader - and there are only a certain number of boot combinations available. What "alternative" boot sequance will they come up with next? Do a one arm handstand while holding down all buttons on your Cube pad and switch machine on :rolleyes:. Action Replay is undoubtedly the more flexible utility for playing imports but having to constantly enter codes and fixes is a major problem in my mind. It's always been the way ever since the SNES and Megadrive Action Replay carts. Nothing has changed. If like me, you prefer hassel-free gaming and want to play a game as soon as you switch on your Cube, then don't bother with Freeloader or Action Replay.

12. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Im talking about Action Replay which includes freeloader in the option menu and it is no hassle at all, you dont have to constantly enter fixes or codes, they are saved on the memory card that comes with Action Replay, and hundreds of codes for many games are already selectable with just a tick that takes a second.
    Datel are ongoing letting me make games easier and play imports free of charge once I purchased their product, things that I would not be able to do otherwise.
    And if a game is only released in Europe or has language difficulties then the import console owners then have the same issues or so called 'hassle'.

My Gamecube was the first PAL console I bought since the Atari 2600, I imported many past consoles very early on and currently have 5 connected to my main TV (only 2 PAL) but the main reason I got the PAL one this time was because my kids will be using it and contrary to popular belief Games like Mario Sunshine are too hard for them, Action Replay was a must, plus for once an Import cube would have cost more money and no longer had the advantage of 60hz and full screen. Not only that but the kids will also be able to choose or receive games as presents locally without me having to be involved.
    I still think Nintendo need to get their act together over Europe though or maybe its NOE's fault who's roots lay in distribution only.

Anyway when I weigh things up the PAL Gamecube has probably been the least hassle for me playing video games since 1977, in those days things were simple, games were enjoyable without people faulting signal quality from cables or display formats or worrying about what countries were getting what before us.

I'm not saying I'll never import again, far from it, but just offering my experiances on your view in this instance import Gamecubes should 'always' be bought..

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Referring to the 'always' comment, you shouldn't take every statement I posted literally. There was no need to concentrate your reply around this. You have posted many varied and sensible reasons for buying a PAL Cube in your (and similar) circumstances. The original poster's circumstances are quite different and is putting video quality and resolution first and foremost above all other priorities, in which case buying Import would be recommended.

Regarding Action Replay/Freeloader, when referring to Freeloader it's only reasonable to assume you are referring to the stand alone and marketed as such, Freeloader disc. The Freeloader disc is problematic in that it doesn't have the workaround flexibility.

As ever it comes down to personal preference. For me, having to enter a single code once to overcome a problem is hassel. For others it's nothing.

14. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for replies to my query.

Have bought a modded Jap/USA cube - hopefully should arrive by weekend.

The seller included one of the RGB cables referred to above so if anyone wants one, get in touch (will be using component).

Cheers
    Rob.

15. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for video quality and resolution, I always thought NTSC was best? until recently I heard (on here I think) someone say how PAL was superior due to its more lines?
    After finally getting some of my old consoles rigged up I do notice the scan lines are more apparent and the colours are wrong on the NTSC machines (need major adjustment (s-video 28" TV)) but as they are older machines and dont have 2 of the same to compare I dont know if it was just the lower resolution in the day or whether it is a real issue with newer machines?
    Like I said before in the day I was totally happy with with the displays, but today the Super Famicom and Jap N64 looks like half the lines are missing.

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    I've been playing F-Zero on my HS10 this week in progressive scan on a US modded GC and it looks jaw-dropping..wouldn;t change it for the world :)

17. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Steve,

Is prog scan a mod to your cube or is it going through the Iscan?

Rob

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All U.S cubes support Progressive Scan out the box, they decided to go with RGB Scart for U.K cubes as progressive Scan TV's are much less common in U.K

to muse progressive scan you need to buy a pretty exspensive Component cable (the nintendo ones are best) and just plug it in, you need to press B at startup i think to access progressive scan mode,

I am on the verge of buying a 42" plasma and cant wait to see the cube running in progressive scan :)

19. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its woth the wait mate. Put on Metroid Prime its staggering. I'd go for a US cube everytime BTW.

20. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    betamac
    your comments are slightly misleading, all of the Gamecubes support progressive scan out of the box by your reckoning, but all machines actually need a digital out cable to do it, not the cables that come as standard in the box and it has nothing to do with the UK cube and Scart leads, the key factor is the software and the fact that Gamecubes have region protection.

To sum up (all regions):
    All cubes have a Digital out and an Analogue out.
    As far as I know all cubes come with an anologue Composite cable in the box that does not support progressive scan.
    Only some JAP and US software supports progressive scan.
    To use JAP and US software on a PAL Gamecube you need a Freeloader disc or an Action replay pack(that incorperates freeloader) from Datel electronics.
    If you want to make use of progressive scan using the supported software you need one of two official Digital cables (not available in UK).
    The JAP and US cubes do not support an RGB Scart connection.
    The PAL cubes do not support an S-video connection.
    The Digital Component cable IS officially available in Australia for the PAL cube as Australian TV's have component sockets as opposed to Scart in Europe.

err I thinks thats about it

:smashin:

21. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure i understand most of that, the U.S cubes do support Progressive Scan when you buy them and i did State you need a Seperate cable to actually use it, i also said U.K cubes DO NOT support progressive scan whether or not you have the Extra Cable.

So basically if you want progeessive scan you need a U.S cube and yeah i did miss the part about not all games supporting it, its a select few.

I may be wrong, but i am almost certain the U.K cubes do not support Progressive scan atall nothing to do with software. Someone can correct me on this

22. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mac

Yes my UK Gamecube lets me select progressive scan using a US version of Metroid Prime, I am using the Component cable plugged into the Digital out port on the back.

sorry I missed the bit where you said extra cable needed, but you did say that they decided to go with Scart in the UK as UK TV's dont support progressive scan, suggesting that US cubes come as standard with a cable that does support it.

Im going to confuse myself in minute.:)

23. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK my mistake :)

What TV you using progressive Scan on?

24. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used it on my mates Panasonic widescreen CRT TV (UK spec I believe)many times with no probs, but currently I have an Imported Panasonic 4:3 TV with component in which is fine in games under normal mode, but heres the thing, when I select progressive scan using the 'B' option, Metroid Prime start screen is all over the shop, so I conceed my TV doesnt do it, which only adds more confusion to the fact that I joined in this thread.:D

Oh well Im hoping to get a 21" PC monitor soon because I cant decide on a new TV yet, especially with projectors coming down in price, so with the aid of a Component to VGA converter I dont see why I wont be enjoying P.Scan again soon.
    :cool:

25. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do progressive scan games look any better with the cube doing the deinterlacing, as opposed to say a projector with Faroudja deinterlacing doing the job?

26. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would always expect a video console to give much better results with native progressive scan rather than the results by using an external box. My understanding is, with film, all the information is stored on the disc, and processors can determine from this the original progressive frames. They do it by knowing how to combine the odd fields and the even ones in the right sequence. This is possible because successive odd and even fields both come from the original frame (using 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown)

With video (as is put out by games consoles), the interlaced output does not contain all the neccessary information to (re)construct progressive frames. This is because the image has changed beween each successive field, so combining them makes no sense. All a processor can do is make a guess at what these progressive frames would look like, and this is very unlikely to be as good as the real thing. A processor will be able to make static parts of the picture look just as good as a native progressive picture, because odd and even fields can be combined where there is no movement. On moving parts though, you will almost certainly lose resolution with any external processor.

Does that make sense?

27. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise my post has little to do with progressive scan etc. but the thread sparked my interest because I own both a UK and US gamecube. I bought the US gamecube because the European releases last year were so few and far between that it was annoying, also the US games tend to get released earlier... not to mention the MAIN reason for the purchase ANIMAL CROSSING.

If you have bought a modded or US cube I highly recommend this game, and since the only PAL release its getting at present is in Australia, you might as well get the US release.
    :smashin:

I should point out however that the cube has been gathering dust lately due to a rotten release schedule leaving it beaten hands down by the lovely xbox. (all IMHO)

28. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you must be either extremely good at video games or get bored easily :) i have around 8 gamecube games now (3 more than i ever bought for N64) and i have not completed half of them yet, the newest been metroid and Zelda, personaly even if i was loaded i could not buy any more games else they would be collecting dust until i completed the previous games, i think the release schedule is good for me, by the time i get metroid and zelda completed theres loads more i want to buy, with F Zero coming this month and Mario Kart On pre order as well not to mention the upcoming Rogue Sqraudron 3, which i am really looking forward to,

too many games = too many headaches for me :)

I just looked at your Games on X Box, most of which i have on PC which is where i get my online fix from in between Gamecube gaming,

i suppose if you dont have a PC and tend to complete games pretty quickly you could run out of games to play

29. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I admit it... I am a total games / techno junkie. I have way more games than I could ever play and I am a bit fussy, it takes a lot to completely grab my attention gaming wise. The last games I was totally hooked on were Halo and the aforementioned Animal Crossing, since then I just play for fun and not to complete them.

IMO the nintendo stable of games has been pretty poor, but like you I am awaiting the new star wars game as I enjoyed the last Rogue Squadron. All in all though Xbox Live has truly made the xbox for me.

Animal Crossing can suck the hours out of your day no problem.