UK national, have to prove identity

Berties

Banned
Getting a bit sick of agencies. I am British, British born. Recently employement agencies are requesting for passport and/or full birth certificate. I only have the small birth certificate, and I don't have a passport.

What are my rights, I feel discriminated because I have to prove I'm a legal citizen of this country. I don't think any employers have requested this information yet, just employement agencies.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I guess employment agencies are under pressure to ensure that they are not processing illegal immigrants.

They are not asking to prove that you are British, just to provide proof of your identity.

Just show them your small birth certificate - if that is all you have then you can't do much more.

Cheers,

Nigel

Berties

Banned
I'm white but that's besides the point. Just feels like I have to prove it to work, and pay 100 for passport and 10 for full B.C. what next id to call an ambulance?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Never had a problem with being asked this myself... I'd be more concerned if I wasn't asked for any details or such (at least depending on the position or nature of work).

mooperman

Distinguished Member
how would you feel if someone used your ID to get a job and proceeded to rob that company blind, wouldnt you want to know why their ID wasnt checked when the police show up at your door...?;)

mrtbag

So for 10 pounds you could solve the issue by getting a full B.C?

Is it the agencies fault you do not have the original?

Do you really want a society where anybody can walk into a job centre and say I'm Mr Jones, my d.o.b is..... and that's it, no other questions asked?

bjd

Distinguished Member
Just this week my wife had to show passport/driving license and BC - she was just being promoted within the same organisation - hardly discriminatory, I feel.

Cheers

Brian

NoMansLand

People are too quick to play the discrimination card nowadays.

Just cough up £10 for a full BC and you're on your way. Not much of a hardship, really.

Berties

Banned
I see no one has understood why I disagree with it, and why I shouldn't have to spend money to have the privilage of a job. Never needed it 10 years ago for agencies, and you still had immigrants in the country.

I'll refuse to spend money on principle, I'm not applying for security jobs, it's for warehouse work. I just think this is more proof of a police state.

NoMansLand

I see no one has understood why I disagree with it, and why I shouldn't have to spend money to have the privilage of a job. Never needed it 10 years ago for agencies, and you still had immigrants in the country.

I'll refuse to spend money on principle, I'm not applying for security jobs, it's for warehouse work. I just think this is more proof of a police state.

Yeah, but everyone who applies through the agency will be asked for the same ID, so you're not being discriminated against.

Plus, £10 for a full BC, so you can get the job you want isn't much of a sacrifice imo.

You're making a big deal out of nothing.

NoMansLand

So everyone is being treated like they're immigrants....hmmmmm

If you want to look at it that way, go ahead. The agency are just making sure you're eligable to work in this country. I see no problem with that.

I bet you're one of those that whinges that "them there foreigners are stealing our jobs" as well, aren't you?

If I was out of work, and went to an agency for a job I'd be all over getting proper ID to prove I could work.

Up to you though, I guess.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
tbh after working for a few agencies over the years I can see where the OP is coming from.

It has been blatantly obvious over the past ten years that agencies have done all they can to try to get in foreign workers and discourage british born people. (And asking british born people looking for low paid work for a passport is like asking for paris hiltons virginity)

and tbh i know why. foreigners turn upto work everyday, do any job going (jobs that the british shouldnt be doing as its beneath them :rolleyes: ) work for a lot less, dont whinge, work hard and dont pull sickies.

unfortunately this means that the few british that are willing to "lower their standards" and do a hard days work for just over minimum wage. normally dont have a chance in hell of getting the lower skilled work available.

anyone remember the story of the employer that would only take on the polish? there was a good reason for that and it happens in more than that one place.

Only advice I have for the OP is get a Provisional License as atleast you will get some personal benefit (and maybe forklift training)

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
How do you suggest the agency deals with it then? take people for their word?? I wish I too lived in fairytale land where you obviously reside.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
How do you suggest the agency deals with it then? take people for their word?? I wish I too lived in fairytale land where you obviously reside.

Exactly.
Like that copper on the news recently... he didn't put his previous sexual related court hearing on his application... rather than looking into his history the police employed him :rolleyes:

These checks are in place for a reason. People are not to be trusted 100%.

unique

the law states that all employers have to check ID for all employees. accepted ID is either an EU passport, or you must provide two documents, one being a birth certificate, and the second being a P45, NI card or work permit

as they have to ask everyone for this, it's not discrimination

agencies may ask for this for two reasons, firstly so they don't put forward staff for jobs who aren't allowed to work in the UK, and secondly because agencies often directly employ staff as "temps" to work at other workplaces, who pay the agency direct, thus the agency is the employer in those cases

if they are only asking for a birth certificate, they aren't fulfilling the requirements of checking

without these checks, someone could make up a name and be employed fraudulently, such as to avoid paying the appropriate tax. you could have 2 or 3 part time jobs with different names and not pay tax in each of them for example. it's not just to prevent employing illegal immigrants or other foreign people who aren't legally allowed to work in the UK

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom