UK mobile phone insurers which use genuine parts for repairs?

Fade In

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My dad's iPhone isn't eligible for AppleCare+ (it's past the 60 day period by a few weeks), but he'd like to take out insurance. His bank account doesn't include this (I know some do).

The thing is, having done a bit of reading up it seems a few of the more well-known insurers (e.g. Protect Your Bubble) apparently use a repairs service that uses non-genuine/third-party parts, should you need to claim for damage.

Read quite a few reviews on TrustPilot that say this - iPhones will display a message if it is repaired using non-genuine parts and I believe this invalidates any Apple warranty. Non-genuine OLED panels for example also have inferior quality (e.g. lower brightness).

So - does anyone know of any insurers that are known to use or guarantee repairs with genuine parts?

Seems pointless paying £10+ per month plus £50-£150 excess for possible repairs that use parts costing a similar amount of money.

Thanks

In the USA, Apple has launched the self repair service allowing consumers to buy genuine parts and to rent DIY repair kits. The press release from April 2022 say this service is due to expand to Europe 'later this year'

Once released this will allow consumers to purchase genuine parts. Whether the insurer's agent will use the genuine Apple part supplied by you in this scenario is the question

In the USA, Apple has launched the self repair service allowing consumers to buy genuine parts and to rent DIY repair kits. The press release from April 2022 say this service is due to expand to Europe 'later this year'

Once released this will allow consumers to purchase genuine parts. Whether the insurer's agent will use the genuine Apple part supplied by you in this scenario is the question
Read about this at the time, I wonder how user-friendly the whole operation will be and whether a self-repair would have an impact on Apple's warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom