UK HoverBOSS Build thread for Dummies

Thanks for testing - the search continues!
My search has ended, I think you can get low psi gauges, but I feel the difference in psi isn’t quite worth the chase.

My search has ended, I think you can get low psi gauges, but I feel the difference in psi isn’t quite worth the chase.
I couldn’t find anything remotely reasonable that worked between 0 and a couple of PSI. It was all £100+ territory. Will have a other look before the year is out.

I have bought some 9mm plywood to go underneath my HoverBoss and act as a solid floor between the speakers and carpet.

What I am also thinking is adding an extra inner tube to the front of the HoverBoss to lift the front slightly. At the moment it is front heavy, so the front of the platform leans forward, whilst the back (where the speakers and inner tubes are situated) sit higher.

This extra inner tube won’t be surrounding a speaker, just more for stability. What does everyone think?

Plenty of examples of that (tubes for stability without a driver inside) in the pdf 'user guide' linked to on the first or second page of this thread.

Hoverboss is up and works with the Emotiva BasX. Started setting up Minidsp but I need to get a copy of the software.

In terms of settings it up, do people get their main subs sorted first and then sort the timing and frequency cut off of the Hoverboss? Do you treat them separately?

Hi Harkon. I have my HB set up slightly different to the majority. Using the Minidsp, i have the subwoofers EQ and time aligned to each other. I then have the subwoofers group delayed to the HB, so the HB is at 0ms and the subwoofers in my case have a delay based on my perception of what feels natural. You feel seismic activity before you hear it, so you'll know when it feels right for you. This is the same for most people.

Where I differ is that a lot of people like the rolloff higher, say 30Hz+ for example. I personally found this very distracting. I discovered that during seismic activity, we only "feel" up to 10Hz. Because of this I set my LPF at 10Hz in the minidsp with a butterworths 48dB/octave. I also have the level set around 25dB lower than my subwoofers. Since the cutoff is at 10Hz, you dont really need to worry about interaction between the HB and the subs. I dont bother with bass eq for each movie as I cant be bothered with changing it for each movie. I find that this works very well for me personally, but fully understand other peoples preferences differ. The OH hated the HB until I got my settings tweaked to this, so it must feel right if shes not complaining about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I think Mark's (that I tried) had a LPF set at 20hz. I guess it's a personal preference thing. Don't know how to do group delays yet and don't know what this means, "with a butterworths 48dB/octave". I am only just getting started though so things might become more clear once I'm in to it.

By group delay I mean that I time aligned the 3 subwoofers in my room to each other. each of their delays will be different based on their distance from the MLP (Main Listening Position). This is done to cancel out frequency nulls. I then added an extra delay to all 3 of those subs as a group. The delay added to each was the same which meant that they all feel that they are in time with the tactile feedback. I hope that makes sense.

The butterworths bit is an option in your Minidsp. it is the rate at which the "Volume" in dB decreases in accordance with how far past the frequency cutoff you are. You'll find this in the crossover section. If you have a play with that page, it should make more sense. Essentially the higher the dB/octave, the faster the volume will decrease as it passes the cutoff point.

I'm not the best at describing, but hopefully that makes some sense.,

Ye I think that make sense.

Can you group the subs to add the group delay then or do you have to add the same amount to each subs?

I couldn’t find anything remotely reasonable that worked between 0 and a couple of PSI. It was all £100+ territory. Will have a other look before the year is out.
For anyone interested, I found an analogue gauge I'm hoping is accurate enough (I think between 0 and 1 is a loss but between 1 and 2 PSI I think it should be OK)

Should be here in a few days. Will report back next week!

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Are people doing much with the MiniDSP to set up the platform?

Must admit I haven’t really bothered - I dialled in some delay so it felt like it was in time with the subs but haven’t done anything too in depth.

I stuck in the basic single line PEQ boost recommended for the Behringer amps (I am not using one but I preferred it, so suspect my Crown XLS is similar in that regard) and also a low pass filter. I have to redo all my measurements as I’ve stuck in some room treatment recently so all the gear will be out again anyway so will “Do it properly” soon and see what difference it makes.
So to answer myself, I tried this recently and it was an absolute disaster. In retrospect, being sat on the sofa obviously massively changes the output of the board and trying to get it to integrate into the rest of the system is a complete waste of time. Based on the comments from Admbar I think I was probably on the right track first time round!

Last edited:
Hi Harkon. I have my HB set up slightly different to the majority. Using the Minidsp, i have the subwoofers EQ and time aligned to each other. I then have the subwoofers group delayed to the HB, so the HB is at 0ms and the subwoofers in my case have a delay based on my perception of what feels natural. You feel seismic activity before you hear it, so you'll know when it feels right for you. This is the same for most people.
Really interesting, I went the opposite of this, it felt really weird with the sensation happening before the noise of something like a gunshot in John Wick for example, and that was just with no delay, let alone (the equivalent of) a negative delay.

Where I differ is that a lot of people like the rolloff higher, say 30Hz+ for example. I personally found this very distracting. I discovered that during seismic activity, we only "feel" up to 10Hz. Because of this I set my LPF at 10Hz in the minidsp with a butterworths 48dB/octave. I also have the level set around 25dB lower than my subwoofers. Since the cutoff is at 10Hz, you dont really need to worry about interaction between the HB and the subs. I dont bother with bass eq for each movie as I cant be bothered with changing it for each movie. I find that this works very well for me personally, but fully understand other peoples preferences differ. The OH hated the HB until I got my settings tweaked to this, so it must feel right if shes not complaining about it.
I also have the level set lower than the subs, although after measuring, not this low. I'm surprised you're getting output at all between no BEQ, the rolloff and this lower level tbh! Also looking to play about with moving the LP filter but after my experiments I don't think the platform interacts that much with the subs once people are actually on the sofa. At least in my setup.

Last edited:
Interested as to what people have their Low Pass filters set to and the filter type i.e. How quickly the bass drops off after that frequency point.

Also, have most people kept the gain at 0 or increased it?

Just talking to Mark and he added the delay to the subs rather than the HB. Again, is that what others have done? Thanks.

I have my HoverBoss up and running now, I can hand on heart say that this is one of the best upgrades that I have added to my theatre room in years, I’m absolutely loving it :thumbsup:

Nice one! Any pics? What does your built consist of?

Nice one! Any pics? What does your built consist of?

Hi, I got most of the stuff off Steelman 1991 who frequents here, apart from the transport, it saved me a whole lot of hassle of buying the ply and trying to cut the holes out of it! my platform consists of 3 sheets of 18mm ply, 3 Fosgate drivers, and 24" tubes, I'm running them off an old Arcam receiver that I had kicking about, it works like a charm :smashin:

I've been experimenting with the tubes all week and have settled on having them pretty rigid, it seems to give a tighter / punchier bass response for my liking. I had the platform sitting on my carpet, then decided to add a piece of 18mm OSB board, so that I could rest the tubes on it, for a tighter seal "I should have gone with 9mm" so had to build small risers for the rubber Isolation feet to clear the 18mm board.

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

Nice! Are you only using one coil or is it one of these designs where connections on each side of the woofer are just doubled up? Did you try without the isolation feet on at all?

I have a load of house stuff to do this weekend but an going to try and find time to take apart the sofa again and measure the pressure in my tubes using the new gauge and see how close they are to each other and what it is as an actual number. The US guys seemed to think something close to 1.5psi was a decent number

All built. Awaiting speaker cable to wire it and then learn how to use the Mini DSP to set it up. Took the opportunity to build it whilst the wife had taken the kids out. This proved to be a rookie error. After I’d finished all the cuts and screwed the sheets together it started to get dark and damp outside. Still no sign of the wife and then realised how heavy three sheets of 18mm ply is. Was an absolute mission getting it back in to the house.

View attachment 1799020View attachment 1799021View attachment 1799022View attachment 1799023View attachment 1799024View attachment 1799025View attachment 1799026
What size tubes are those?

Just had delivery of my drivers, only ordered them on Sunday.
Need to crack on now and order the other bits and pieces.

Attachments

• AE7A0E6B-43BE-4C2F-A9CF-85DA6178E366.jpeg
    AE7A0E6B-43BE-4C2F-A9CF-85DA6178E366.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 41
Any you guys running a custom house curve on your HB, if so, care to share your settings?

Any you guys running a custom house curve on your HB, if so, care to share your settings?
Here you go, after a few months this is what I settled on.

D2015F3E-BF06-4E1A-9A33-07C08B84EF9A.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom