• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Uk eiv 1080i woes!

Corrado

Only just realised that some eiv discs were 1080i
zack and miri and The Women are two offenders. They are also sped up (like pal speed up on DVD)
pics on both are very good. It's the speed up that annoys me.
The us release of Zack and miri is region free, so I will grab that. The Women is 24fps in the USA but only 5.1 dd - the eiv releases have dts-ma, but the women hardly benefits from losless audio!
I believe that 1080i releases by eiv are now a thing of the past, thankfully.
Are there many 1080i releases? I want to avoid them!

CJPowers81

Death Sentence is another, although it looks mighty fine to me. And I think The Crow is too? It's been a while since I watched it though so I may be mistaken.

EIV releases of late are pretty good, it's Optimum that are ****.

KRW

Looks wise, there's not a lot in it, its the speed up thing is the issue with me. 50p is not the way to watch a movie. Would be good to have a list of releases that aren't 1080p/24.

KRW

Thanks, I shall have another try. It's the first one that showed up at 50p on my system, so not sure what the problem is with mine. This is the UK disc, right?

200p

Thanks, I shall have another try. It's the first one that showed up at 50p on my system, so not sure what the problem is with mine. This is the UK disc, right?
Blu-ray doesn't support 1080/50p encodes - it's probably 1080/50i.

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
I've the US Assassination Of Jesse James disc, it's certainly not a 1080i job and I doubt the UK disc is either.

KRW

I'm begining to think I've actually been sold a 'hooky' copy. :(

EDIT - ****ing robdogs at blockbusters have sold me a ****ing DVD instead of a bluray. I thought it looked way too soft and 'weird' for a bluray! LOL etc.

Last edited:

KRW

I'm actually really pleased as I thought that was the sort of poor quality it was available at until a re-release one day. :thumbsup: I can at least order the bluray from somewhere more reputable now and give it another go. Blockbusters had no more copies so I swapped for Tropic Thunder :rotfl:

Pecker

Distinguished Member
As a starting point I'd agree that 24fps film is best put on a BD at 1080p/24.

However, as has been noted, BD is not specced to do 1080p/25, so anything at 25fps needs to be 1080i/50.

A couple of things - all of the material on a 1080p/25 transfer will be contained on a 1080i/50 disc - if your set up can de-interlace properly (tricky, but not impossible) there's no difference.

For years we've put up with 'PAL speed up' on UK TV, then VHS, then LD, then DVD, and most people don't notice a difference.

So whilst I agree that I'd rather see these at 1080p/24, I wouldn't automatically discount them.

Steve W

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Yeah, but film transfers shouldn't be 25fps, they should be 24fps. PAL speed-up is the work of the Devil. I find it more distracting than 2-3 pulldown artefacts.

KRW

I can't do PAL speedup anymore either. We also put up with fullscreen versions of films for years, but things, happily, move on.

Corrado

Thanks for the replies! I can't believe any discs really do exist in 1080i, but I am pleased to see its a thing of the past with it only affecting old discs!

mentasm

Distinguished Member
That's not really the case. you still get the odd 1080i disc popping up from time to time, although they are few and far between.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies! I can't believe any discs really do exist in 1080i, but I am pleased to see its a thing of the past with it only affecting old discs!

Please remember that we've only been discussing films.

Some TV programmes and concerts are shot in 1080i/50, and that would be the correct way to present them on the disc.

Steve W

LanceR

Distinguished Member
As a starting point I'd agree that 24fps film is best put on a BD at 1080p/24.

However, as has been noted, BD is not specced to do 1080p/25, so anything at 25fps needs to be 1080i/50.

A couple of things - all of the material on a 1080p/25 transfer will be contained on a 1080i/50 disc - if your set up can de-interlace properly (tricky, but not impossible) there's no difference.

For years we've put up with 'PAL speed up' on UK TV, then VHS, then LD, then DVD, and most people don't notice a difference.

So whilst I agree that I'd rather see these at 1080p/24, I wouldn't automatically discount them.

Steve W

That used to drive me mad and still does for example 'Lost' on sky takes some getting used to if you've been watching the US boxsets. For some reason Toy Story is affected really badly to my ears.

So yeah 1080i discs can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned :)

Dubliner1

Only just realised that some eiv discs were 1080i
zack and miri and The Women are two offenders. They are also sped up (like pal speed up on DVD)
pics on both are very good. It's the speed up that annoys me.
The us release of Zack and miri is region free, so I will grab that. The Women is 24fps in the USA but only 5.1 dd - the eiv releases have dts-ma, but the women hardly benefits from losless audio!
I believe that 1080i releases by eiv are now a thing of the past, thankfully.
Are there many 1080i releases? I want to avoid them!

Tragically "The Reader" with Kate Winslet also 1080i.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom