UK DVD Releases to look forward to!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, May 5, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Whilst I'm sure that some of these will/already have been given R1 release dates, some of you may be interested to know of the following R2 titles. As always, details will probably change, so please don't shoot the messanger. Thanks. :)

May 3rd
    Laurel And Hardy 21 Disc Collector's Box Set (£199-99)
    (also available singly, but Volume 21 unique to set)

May 10th
    Frasier: Season 2

May 17th
    Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 1
    Das Boot: The Original Mini-Series (2 discs)
    Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life - Special Edition (2 discs)

May 24th
    AD Police (All 3 parts on one DVD.)
    American Splendour
    Crumb
    Dr Mabuse: The Gambler (2 discs)
    Fist Of The North Star: Collector's Edition (the live-action film)
    Fist Of The North Star: TV Series (the Japanese anime TV series, in a complete boxed set, RRP £34-99)

Ghost Sweeper Mikami (Anime series, I expect!)
    The Marquis Of "O"
    Monkey: Season 2
    Oktober (Eisenstein's classic)
    Skinny Tiger And Fatty Dragon (HKL release, I expect)

The Stendhal Syndrome (Agento's horror classic. Details about it being cut/uncut, still TBC.)

Tattoo
    The Time Of The Wolf (Michael Haneke's latest Germanic chiller)
    Ulysses 31 - Volume 1 (Yes! Yes! Yes!)

May 25th:
    The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (Cinema Version)
    The Lord Of The Rings: 6-disc Trilogy Boxed Set

May 26th
    Spartacus: Special Edition

May 31st
    The Girl With A Pearl Earring
    Trilogy Of The Dead (Anchor Bay 4-disc re-release of George Romero's "Dead" series)

Unhinged (Classic 80's video nasty, gets an official release. No details about cut/uncut release.)

June 7th
    Alias: Season 2
    A Man Called Horse
    The Simpsons: Gone Wild
    The X-Files: Season 9

June 14th
    House Of Cards Trilogy (Political TV drama series)
    M*A*S*H: Season 4
    The Simpsons: Classics - Volume 2

June 21st
    An Evening With Kevin Smith

June 28th
    Blakes 7: Season 2
    Lost In Translation (6.1 DTS soundtrack has been officially confirmed for the UK, plus extras not on the US release!!!)

The Osbournes: Season 2 - Uncut and Uncensored
    Smiley's People (John Le Carre drama)
    Stargate SG-1: Season 7

July 5th
    Lost In Space: Season 2
    School Of Rock

July 12th
    Harsh Realm: Complete Series Box Set (This little-seen sci-fi thriller series, was mauled in the US, but has since come to be a cult favourite. It only lasted 9 episodes! Stars Samantha Mathis, DB Sweeney, Terry O'Quinn and Scott Bairstow. Created by Chris Carter of "X-Files" and "Millennium" fame.)

Millennium: Season 1 (Long-awaited release for the first series of Chris Carter's acclaimed but dark serial-killer horror series, that was treated so badly by UK TV companies! Numerous extras, including unseen behind-the-scenes footage; cast and crew screen tests and unseen footage from the Pilot episode!)

July 19th
    24: Season 3 (Released the day after the final episode airs on Sky 1!)

July 26th
    Monkey: Season 3

September 2004
    Angels In America
    The West Wing: Season 4
    Star Wars Trilogy (Being stupidly released in widescreen and fullscreen boxed sets!!! Why, George?! Why! :mad: )

Monkey: Season 4 (The newly-dubbed/subtitled, and rarely seen "missing 13 episodes"! Sadly, they aren't included in the correct running order of the show, so you will have to watch them, alongside your other Monkey tapes/discs!)

Pooch

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldnt find any details on the BBFC website about this new edition of the Stendhal Syndrome so i assume it's going to be the pre-cut version unless they push the release date back.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    sometimes the info doesn't appear on the bbfc site until after a film's been released.

4. FiggyD

FiggyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ulysees 31!!!!!! Oh my God! Best news ever! I thought these had all been destroyed in a fire years ago. That's made my week. :)

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life - Special Edition (2 discs)

is that actually going to be the new remastered version that's actually going to be worth buying? or just another rehashed version of the old print?

Similarly, any info on the new life of brian or the holy grail? i'm sure i read somewhere that new versions of these were due sometime this summer but haven't heard anything in months... ?

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    There were some picture quality problems with "The Meaning of Life" " disc set in the USA. Does anyone know if these have been sorted out, either on R1 or for the R2 release?

Think they're pushing it a bit with another "Holy Grail" release. The present 2 discer is pretty packed. "Life of Brian" could still do with a better version. I have the Criterion edition and there's lots of deleted scenes and stuff that haven't turned up on any other releases.

Hope "The Stendahl Syndrome" comes in the correct aspect ratio this time unlike the last R2 release.

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    I always wondered quite what goes on in Dario Argento's head, in that he casts his daughter in a role in Stendahl Syndrome that requires her to be viciously raped and beaten. Hmmmm... those crazy Italians.

Good film, though.

8. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is trilogy of the dead being re-released? I still see it in the shops.

I hope to God they put together an uber-boxset with the new Dawn of the Dead set, Day of the Dead SE, and somesort of new Night of the Living Dead.

Anyone know if there are any plans to revisit Night of the Living Dead? Since the other 2 are getting the stellar treatment.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Pooch - dont take this the wrong way but i hate you!!! (i know your only delivering the message - but never the less i have to hate you now) you have just told me that not only do i have at 5 box sets to buy in June/July but i also have to plan my wifes 40th birthday!!! (not that you knew that)

lord oh lord its going to be a bad bad month

Gary

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Look for the R1 2 disc SE from Elite. Remastered and released last year.
    The only version Anchor Bay (US, company responsible for the SE's of Romero's Dawn and Day) have the rights to is the "anniversary edition" of Night, that contains some abominable scenes that were shot and added in 25 or so years after the original film was made. Not by Romero, but by Bill Hinzman, the writer (or something, can't quite remember right now) of the original, who still has some kind of creative control over the movie, so he thought it would be much better if he ruined it.:suicide: Even the colourized version's better than the "new and improved" Hinzman version :rolleyes:

But if you want an SE of Night, look to the Elite 2 disker, it's a corker:thumbsup:

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,457
    We have the review discs here for the release, the PR claims new anamorphic transfer and DTS sound. Should have the review done soon.

12. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    It is a cut version of Stendahl Syndrome (110 minutes). It should be uncut at 114 min. Go for the Italian DVD, you get both versions on it, and I think the subtitles are optional when viewed in English (but I would not swear to it). It can be bought at www.xploitedcinema.com , but avoid the US release as it is the cut international version (same as UK).

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    GaryD,

I hate you, too, mate! :rotfl:

No offence taken. :smashin: I kinda expected to get a few irate people complain about the amount of quality releases due out soon!

Oh, and just to rub salt into the wounds, Volume 1 of "Dungeons and Dragons", the mid-80's US animation series about a group of friends catapulted into a D&D world, via a fairground ride, has just come out on Region 2, today!

Priced at £12-99, with 8 episodes I think totalling 147 minutes, and a few worthwhile extras, including audio commentaries, etc.

Pooch

14. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Man, there's a fair few on this list that I need to get.

Have just popped into HMV to pick up D&D. Some online retailers have it for around £10, but Play are out of stock and Amazons website is busted.

Role on the next couple of months for Vol 2, Ulysses and Tour of Duty!

15. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    must say, i will be getting Dungeons and Dragons and Ulysses 31 when they are out, hope they are as good as i remember!