1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK DVD releases censored?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by KuroNeko, Nov 7, 2001.

1. KuroNeko

KuroNeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the good reviews the Buffy Box #3 got in the magazine.

However, I stopped watching Buffy on the BBC once I noticed it was pretty severly censored.

How is this for the DVD release? Does this contain the uncut versions or the same versions that were shown on the BBC?

In general, do UK DVD releases contain the uncut versions, or the TV cut editions?

Neko

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Kuro,

Why did you stop watching the BBC editions? After all, it is common knowledge that the teatime edition on Thursdays was editied, but the uncut versions went out late on Friday nights, as they still do.

In answer to the DVD query, however, in most cases the episodes are uncut, unless the material contains something that breaks UK law.

For more info: goto UK DVD Cuts site

Pooch

3. KuroNeko

KuroNeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped watching them because I could also watch them on local French language channel in a subtitled version, or on a Dutch language channel, also subtitled version.

The main attraction of the BBC version was the clearer picture - no subtitles.

I just checked to link - thanks for that. Looks like it was edited, even only little. I never buy edited material, so I'll wait for an edition in the US or locally to become available.

Neko

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The anamorphic widescreen versions offer an excellent picture. Although the BBC themselves have confirmed that season 5 did have a fault in the conversion to PAL which reduced the quality a bit.

IMO, the poor quality was caused by an increase in the amount of compression and not so much the NTSC to PAL conversion.

The late night BTVS episodes have only been cut once at that time and that was following the Sept 11th incident. They cut the scene where the building fell down on top of glory.

Although i watched season 5 on sky and i am now watching season 6 by other means, i will still watch the anamorphic widescreen version on BBC (late night version).

BTW, i don't know if you are aware but Angel has been dropped by Ch4 and no analogue broadcaster has picked up the rights yet.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the episodes in the R2 UK Season 3 buffy dvd release has a small cut (something like breaking in to a car), all other episodes are cut. Other R2 versions and R4 should be uncut.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

CW2000 wrote: "One of the episodes in the R2 UK Season 3 buffy dvd release has a small cut (something like breaking in to a car), all other episodes are cut. Other R2 versions and R4 should be uncut."

I think he/she meant to say that one of the Season 3 episodes was slightly cut (to remove sensitive detail about breaking into a car, by "jimmying" the lock, via the window seal), but that the rest of the Season 3 episodes, are uncut, as should the remaining DVD sets on R2 and R4!

Pooch

7. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    from dvdtimes.co.uk

It has now been confirmed that the Region 4 release of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3 does indeed feature the scenes that were cut by the BBFC for the UK release. The two cuts from the episode "Dead Man's Party" - Giles hotwiring his car, and a neck-snap - both appear on the Australian discs, as they will on the European releases. Strangely though, DVD Net are reporting that several (but not all) of the "Previously..." recap sections are missing - a problem that plagued the Season 2 release, but not Season 3 in the UK.