1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK DVD/HD recorder with SECAM?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by USIM, May 4, 2005.

1. USIM

USIM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a DVD/HD recorder.

Although living in the UK, I enjoy watching the occasional French TV programme using an old analog satellite system. I would like to be able to record these SECAM broadcasts, as well as normal UK TV (terrestrial and cable)

I've checked specs available on manufacturers websites, and emailed some customer support desks, but it would appear that the only manufacturer who claims to support SECAM is Lite-ON. (But I'm not sure all the customer support staff understood the question :( )

Their LVW-5045 supports SECAM however I've seen several reviews indicating that this machine is not a good buy because of poor RF tuner performance, giving rise to paterning on terrestrial broadcasts. I live in a fringe reception area so this is a significant defect from my perspective.

Can anyone recommend any other machines? I just need a machine which supports SECAM video on the SCART input, it does not need to support the associated broadcast 'L' standard as well.

2. Moroz

Moroz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Russian terrestrial broadcast color system is SECAM (but DVD, VHS use PAL /sometimes NTSC). There are no any troubles with all HDD recorders:
    Pioneer 5100, DV-R520HS, 720, 920,
    Panas 80, DMR-85HEE-S, 95, 100,
    Philips HDRW 720,
    Sony 900/1000,
    Toshiba 32,
    BBK 9007, ....etc.
    As I know, these machines decode SECAM to PAL and record to HDD/DVD-R

3. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Perhaps it depends whereabouts in the world you buy it. For example, here in Australia the Panny e85 won't handle SECAM, but the Tosh XS32 will.