UK Digital switchover, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by sansson, Jan 8, 2012.

1. sansson

sansson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a superb Bang & Olfsen Analogue Tv, great picture and sound!
    I currently use a SonyHDD/DVD recorder with built in Freeview tuner to record programmes whilst watching Analogue. What do I need to upgrade this setup to watch one channel and record Digital on another at the same time? Is it an additional Freeview digibox and do I need extra scart sockets?

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Yes a simple Freeview receiver would work to allow you to view a Freevew channel while recording with the Sony.

If the B&O only has a single scart input and no other AV input sockets that could be brought into use, it may work OK by using the second scart on the recorder... the Sony should pass the new receiver through when in standby or timer-recording... but it may be worth checking it does pass when timer-recording with Sony?

EDIT :facepalm: Or get a set-top box with twin scarts and connect the Sony through the stb to the TV... when the stb is in standby it must pass the Sony output to the TV!! :facepalm:

There are also other possible work-rounds like scart switchers (manual or auto) - or even a twin-tuner PVR.

PS some stbs come with a scart lead but many don't, check when you buy and also see if you have a spare one lying in a box somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. bluesteel

bluesteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    scart leads , how quaint .. !