1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK customs charges (ordering pj's from Japan)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dunkyboy, Aug 4, 2002.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It seems a common practice in the States (and elsewhere) is ordering projectors from Japan, as availability and price are generally better there than anywhere else. Apparently (I've read this, I don't know how true it is) in the US if you make sure it's declared as a 'computer display device' you pay no customs duties, so it makes for a great idea for a bargain.

Is there any similar customs exemption in the UK? If not, how much would the customs charge be on a projector costing, say, £2000? Is ordering from Japan (e.g. www.pricejapan.com) a viable option? (I understand that getting Japanese units serviced under warranty would be rather tricky, so cost reduction of the pj must be considerable.)

Cheers,

Dunc

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The way customs charges works is like this:

Take the CIF value of the goods (that is, cost, insurance & freight - in other words the total value of the invoice), convert it at a nominal exchange rate (use the city rate off teletext as a guide), and then

Calculate an amount of duty. This varies from item to item and the only way you can find the UK percentage for a given item is to talk to HM C&E. It may be that, on computer displays it is 0%, whereas on TVs etc it is more (maybe 5%). Don't quote me on these figures - only Customs will tell you the correct rates.

Add the duty to the converted CIF value.

Calcluate VAT at 17.5% on the CIF+Duty total. VAT applies to everything (except books and some foods, I think), so you won't avoid this by labelling it as a computer display.

Then, add a "tax handling" charge applied by the carrier. This varies from carrier to carrier.

So, at best, you will have to pay the carrier 17.5% + their fee; at worst it will be more (guess at 23% - depends on the rate of duty) + their fee.

3. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many moons ago when the Earth was young, and so was I... I bought a projector back from Hong Kong. The Duty was 14% and as has been stated the VAT is calculated on the goods value plus the duty... works out at about 34% on top!

So you have to save a lot on the goods to make it pay - that being said I was lucky, kept the projector for five years and still sold it for what I paid for it!!!