UK city break recommendations?

broona

Reaction score
We're booked to go to Turkey for 10 days at the end of September, but ever the pessimist, I'm looking at an alternative nice weekend away in the UK instead should that air bridge collapse...

I've been looking at Edinburgh, York, Bath, etc, preferably a 4* minimum hotel as it's for a special birthday, has anyone got a location and a hotel they could recommend please?

And then if we do go abroad, I've got some ideas for a break next year too, win, win! 👍

For Edinburgh I can recommend the Balmoral hotel, its 5 star and centrally located. Not sure how services/availability is impacted by the pandemic though and I would also note that the Scottish Government doesn't pull its punches when it comes to COVID-19 restrictions so things could be locked down at short notice.

Thought about coming to Cardiff?
The St. David's Hotel in Cardiff Bay is 5* and excellent. Loads of bars & restaurants around there, and you're about a 20-minute walk, or 5 minutes drive or Uber/Ola into the City centre - even more bars/restaurants, shopping, castle, open-top bus tour.
You're about an hour's drive to the Brecon Beacons or to the Glamorgan coastline or even a little further to the Gower peninsula - stunning.
In the city centre itself, there's the Park Plaza, Hilton or Angel (both 4*) - the Park Plaza & Hilton are newer than the Angel, but the Angel is less corporate and more "charming".

Thanks for the replies, some lovely looking places, especially The Witchery, wow!

I think Edinburgh looks to be my best bet, Cardiff would be amazing, but it's about a 6hr drive, and I'll check out The Grand too. 😁

Thanks for the replies, some lovely looking places, especially The Witchery, wow!

I think Edinburgh looks to be my best bet, Cardiff would be amazing, but it's about a 6hr drive, and I'll check out The Grand too. 😁
The Witchery people also own the prestonfield but I've not stayed so not sure what it's like bu the Witchery is a special place, never eaten there but i've heard the secret garden is good.

The Witchery people also own the prestonfield but I've not stayed so not sure what it's like bu the Witchery is a special place, never eaten there but i've heard the secret garden is good.

Not available on the dates we want to stay, sort of relieved as it's 1200 quid for 2 nights, lol! 😍

Can't really book anything yet either, just in case Turkey goes ahead, but at least I've got some lovely looking options.

We stayed here to visit Edinburgh. Lovely place if you don't mind a short commute.

Having a look through, a lot of hotels offer a reserve now, pay later option, and free cancellation, suppose it wouldn't do any harm to book a risk free couple of nights? 😉

Belfast? Boat from Cairnryan and you've arrived.

I've just stayed in the Titanic Hotel and would recommend it. Great bar area and food. You've then got the awarding winning Titanic Experience right outside.
This was the view from my window.

IMG_20200816_152943.jpg

The bar area is the original shipyard drawing room.
IMG_20200816_214604.jpg

We stayed here to visit Edinburgh. Lovely place if you don't mind a short commute.

Should have mentioned that our commute was by train from Wallyford station. I was pleased that I didn't attempt to drive into the city TBH.

Skeg-vegas, if you are 4*+ there you can really lord it over the locals

I’d be surprised if there was actually a 4* hotel around Skeggy.:eek:

Can’t see there being much of a demand for one tbh.:D

I've provisionally booked The Balmoral in Edinburgh for a couple of nights, £450'ish pay on the day with free cancellation, can't complain. 😁

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely be trying out some of the other recommendations next year too.

Why not try Jersey, lovely place, just back from 4 days there.

So far, we're still heading for Turkey in 10 days, or Edinburgh in 14 days, hadn't thought of Jersey though, another one to look at for next year.

Food for thought for another time

The manor house at castle combe, easily my favourite hotel in the country, not cheap but stayed a few times and going back in novemeber for our anniversary. The rooms are all different with the cottages having some amazing setups. All based in the gorgeous little village of castle combe and only about a 20 min drive to bath

We went to cambridge and then next weekend to liverpool. Stayed in hotels...Traveled by ubers and stayed safe...

Another shout out for Belfast, post shutdown obviously.

Been here for two months working, staying at the hilton which i recommend for its location, colleagues stayed at the ac marriot and rated it highly too.

If youre a game of thrones fan hire a cheap car from sixt and head up to the coast and which is stunning, inc giants causeway, and you will get to visit loads of locations where they filmed game of thrones.

Lots of amazing street art to see and theres a really vibrant food scene, well there was pre lockdown.

Also you could mix it with a visit to dublin which is only a couple of hours on the train

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom