UK broadcasting = pathetic.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by zcaps57, Jan 24, 2002.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. :)

Sorry for the rude(?) subject. But it is how I feel about this country's broadcasting system. :(

Well, I've been in this country for 5 years now. (studying)
    And I may not know how are broadcasting systems in UK very well.

But simple fact is that TV broadcasting is developing over to HD(High Definition) standard.

For example in America, Korea, and Japan, they are already broadcasting this HD standard(1080i) with Dolby Digital sound track. And UK based broadcasting companies does not have any intention of HD.

I've seen 1080i broadcasting using Pioneer PDP-503HD plasma and SONY VPL-VW11HT projector. The quality of picture blew me away.

I wish there is a HD broadcasting here in UK, so that I can enjoy it. :(

This SUCKS.

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Eric, I'm afraid its a case of pandering to the lowest common demoninator in the UK. It's a national attitude, we are very resistant to change as a people.

Don't forget though that we are the greatest, the fairest and the most mighty people on the planet.

For Harry, and St.George.

Steve

3. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking forward to the introduction of HDTV when it was publicised here a few years back but then it all went quiet. I find it depressing that so many people on this forum rave on about how wonderful their latest piece of kit is when it's just the same old product just in a different shaped box, with a few extra bells and whistles included with it.

If only NTSC was the worldwide norm then we could all enjoy the benefits of its improvements. No such luck though.

:(

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blame (amongst other people) Sky for using PAL rather than MAC in the late 80s when they went onto Astra, and blame the government in the early 1990s for showing no interest whatsoever in co-ordinating a UK Hi-Def policy, or even an EU policy.

Whilst analogue hi-def exists in Europe – HD-MAC, the problem with the EU is that not being a “nation state” its very difficult to lay down real standards. The UK would be too small to go it alone (commercially it would be hugely expensive) and hence we’re stuck with 625 lines.

Is there an upgrade path to embrace the US version of HD? Havent a clue, but I suspect not. Is there any momentum to promote a European equivalent – I suspect not – remember – the vast bulk of people have a 21 inch (which they think is large screen) set connected to a Granada top loading VCR (with the clock permanently flashing) via a dodgy RF lead…

5. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on - if the EU can set a standard for just how much a banana is allowed to curve - HDTV should be a doddle!

Given that they are also on the point of allowing any Greek (or other EU nationality) policeman who feels like it to extradite you with no recourse to the courts in the UK I'm sure they could do HDTV.

Wake up and smell the coffee people - Blair will sell you down the river given half a chance.

6. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats the sort of stupid, ill considered rant that taints any merit anti EU "campaigners" may have...

7. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had Multi Satellite TV for ten years now......
    and I've been gob smacked at the quality of the quality of German and Turkish PAL pictures even in analogue.......
    They have always been far superior to UK PAL pictures........ (I presume Turkey also use the German Pal system)

As far as TV Picture Quality we must be the worst in the world even compared with a country like Turkey........

The problem is we pioneered TV transmission in the mid 1930's and we have become complacent ever since.

I suppose it may come to it that the only way to get HDTV in this country will be via foreign Satellite Channels.......

Personally I enjoy the entertainment from Turkey and some other middle Eastern countries anyway, even though I don't understand everything that's said.........
    The picture quality is so good. I sit there enjoying the wonderful range of color and detail, which is an added bonus!

Ho Shecklem!

JPC