UK Blu Ray Hardware?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jackal, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So where are the new players?

At the moment we have two hardware choices for the UK (i.e. no imports). The old and possibly obsolete Samsung BDP1000 and the Bare bones PS3 (from user friendliness point of view).

Samsung have hinted that the BDP1200 will not be coming here (they bring the dual player in November). Pioneer seems to have backed off releasing a player at the moment.

No firm date for the Sony BDP-S1E (overpriced) and the bdp S300 will not be coming here.

SO that leaves us with the Panasonic DMP BD10A coming soon at the £700 mark. (without full functionality i.e. no BD 1.1 or enhanced BD-J AND no on-board DTS HD MA decoding).

Am I the only one to be a little disappointed?

HD DVD will very shortly have three fully functional players (DTS HD MA is a question mark) ranging in price from £450 - 235.

:lesson: So come on BD CE Manufacturers - pull you finger out and give us some worthy decently priced and fully functional kit.

Rant over:)

2. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    and who said that the S300 was not coming here?

3. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    please explain why the PS3 isnt a good bluray player from a "user friendliness" point of view - the remote is easily available and makes things very simple indeed to use

I fully agree £450 street price for PS3 and remote isnt great (when compared to current hd-dvd players) but its not that far away. Hopefully better players from an audio perspective are coming out shortly at decent prices but most people wont be upgrading their amps yet anyway so it makes little difference

4. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hugo the user freindliness issues I have with the PS3 are:

Bluetooth only, cannot use universal remote (a big pain for me)
    PS3 Bluetooth remote not backlit
    No front display on unit.
    It doesn't fit in well with other pieces of AV kit (I like disc players to look like disc player)
    No DVD upscaling
    Limited Audio Options
    No HD 720p output.

At £450 (I paid £500 for my US version) it does not represent good value as a Blu ray only player. (Different proposition if you are a gamer).

Don't get me wrong I have found mine OK as a stop gap, but I want a decent standalone.

Jamie 110, can you point me to any source which states that the BDP-300 IS coiming to Europe?

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Jackal

I think you have it right. I don't expect the 300 and 1200 in the UK. Re Pioneer, who knows!! It is getting closer and closer to oct 31 and they might just bite the tongue for a bit. For me the choices are Samsung and Panny. For the Panny you get more audio support. Quality is broadly comparable between the two as far as I am concerned (and I like both now they have be firmware upgraded). Both have BD J however but I still think neither will have the important DTS HD MA, despite what some have said here. I ordered a 10a on their say so but everything I have heard 'off forum' says no to MA. For me MA and TrueHD are crucial to a new BD player for my money.

6. nl7474

nl7474
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could be the achiles heel for BR. Lets face it on the movie support front they look to have the edge.

However with sub £200 Hd DVD players around the corner why should someone spend significantly more on BR? The PS3 is never going to be a mainstream choice.

7. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

On paper, they appear to have better support from studios. What I've seen in practice is that the movies on HD DVD are better. Of course, that's highly subjective. If you can't live without Sony Pictures Entertainment movies, then Blu-ray is for you!