Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

UK-Belgium compatibility problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by godi32, Aug 16, 2004.

1. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Sony KV-28WS3U which I used in the UK. Now I'm living here in Belgium it seems I can't preset all the local channels. How is this possible and is there a workaround? Any help would be highly appriciated.

Cheers,
    Dirk

2. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is most likely because the Tuner is different for the UK, compared to the rest of Europe.
    I know that here in Ireland, we get slightly different sets than in the UK, because we need UHF/VHF (can't remember which), which is not necessary in the UK. I would bet that you now have the same problem.
    I guess if you just use a digibox, it makes no difference, but if you are trying to tune terrestrial stations, you have problems. Solution, I don't know I'm afraid.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    A cheap local VCR connected via an AV input (SCART or discrete) will perform the job of a tuner. Otherwise it's a workshop visit to change the onboard tuner.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nigel's spot on. In the Uk for analogue transmissions we have a vision/sound seperation of 6mhz. On the continent it's 5.5 mhz - so you can have either sound or vision but not both at the same time. We are the only european country with this spec. Should mean in the uk we have that little bit extra picture definition but in prcatice I would give money to anyone who could spot the difference. regards, yt.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Thanks a lot, red16v! :mad:

So I've wasted 25 years tweaking the transmitter klystrons for best picture. :suicide:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    either need a half meg shifter or if you can get into service menu see if there is a country option.

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tight Git - yes you have, but keep taking the ITA/IBA/NTL's money.

Horney Dragon, do you think a phone call to Sony might provide an answer ? I think it unlikely that Sony would produce a different tv set for use in separate European countries, perhaps there could be a menu setting to adjust the frequency of the local oscillator ? regards, yt

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    yt most european TV's have a multistanard tuner, So yes a call to SOny or your local Sony retailer (may require an engineer visit) would probably sort it, I dont deal with Sony so cant say for definate

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Horneydragon. I don't deal with Sony domestic products so I don't have a definitive answer either. Since frequency synthesis is performed digitally these days I would think the tvset would be capable of working to all european standards - its just a matter of getting the info. regards, yt.