1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Belden & Canare Suppliers

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by farmnut, Sep 11, 2004.

1. farmnut

farmnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy Belden 7712A or Belden 1694A for my projector in the Uk.
    I also want to buy some Belden 1865A for SDI connection.
    I want to buy some Canare Crimp BNC plugs to attach to these superb cables.

All I can find so far is dealers who will bring it in from the USA and they want me to buy full reels of 107 metres of 7712A! Not really practical when I only want 12 metres. The 1694A is my fall back but once again the dealers want to ship this in again in a full reel from stateside.

Could anyone share some good suppliers who will break reels and supply appropriate lengths at sensible prices?

Also where can I buy Canare Bncs at sensible prices?

Thanks in advance for all replies and information. If I find a good supplier I will let everyone know later.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Take a look at the Mark Grant Component Cable Power Buy Here
    Not sure if this is exactly what you are after, but Mark may be able to help with supplies if not.

Mark.

3. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try:
    http://www.canford.co.uk/

UK based and stocks a reasonable range of Canare BNC and 75ohm phono plugs, plus various Belden cable. Delivery is typically next day.

4. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well here's an idea for those of us who don't want to shed out a load of cash to make a top quality cable. The Canare RCAP plugs (RCAP-C53) are £2.44 plus VAT each from Canford. I can't find the Belden 7710A, but the Belden 1694A is exactly the same thing (ie. 7710A = 3 x 1694A colour coded and heatshrinked). The 1694A is £0.98 per metre.

Therefore you could make yourself a 10 metre set of top notch components for less than £30. This is a substantial saving on BlueJeans or Mark Grant's prices.

The killer, of course, is the price of the Canare crimp tool (£75 plus VAT). However, if there are enough of us that want to do it, I'd be happy to buy the tool and sell it on to the next person in the list once I've built my cables.

What d'ya reckon? Everyone's a winner :clap:

Gary

5. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I found a suitable third party BNC crimp tool at the ultimate odds and sods electronics shop - L F Hanney Electronics in Bath. Cost was £19 inc VAT and does the job lurvly. Brought it about 1 1/2 years ago so no guarantee that they'll have more.

My normal BNC crimping tool (red handled chunky black thing available from CPC, Maplin, RS etc.) can also do the trick but don't crimp it to fully closed position as it's a tad too small.

By the way Canfords also do coloured BNC boots to give the finishing touch on your cables.

6. farmnut

farmnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

I'm still looking at this also. Unfortunately, it's not just the crimp tool you also have to buy the correct Die Set no TCD-35CA at £84.15 plus VAT.

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Gary,

How do you get the price to less than £30 for a 10 M cable ??? :confused:

You would need 30M of 1694A to make a 10M cable, not just 10M !

I doubt that Canford will sell cut lengths of Belden cable, Belden dont usually allow it (for some reason) , so UK distributors tell me...

So 305M of 1694A might be the smallest order quantity from canford.

You will find that for long component cables, the twisted cores of the 7710A perform a little better than individual lengths of 1694A.

Also cutting three long cables to exactly the same length is not easy. Hence the reason I use 7710A for component or 7712A for 5 core RGBHV cables. ( I have a 1000 ft reel of 7712A in stock)

You can use a cheap crimp handle, ( I dont !) as long as you use the correct die set, TCD-35CA as farmnut mentions. Also important to check the dimensions of the crimped pin. The crimp tool will need adjusting until you get the perfect crimp size. crimp pin dimensions are included with bulk packs of connectors, or on the canare website. For maximum performance this needs to be to the canare specifications.
    You will get a picture if you use any old BNC crimp tool, but it wont be absolutely perfect !

The Canare system of stripper, crimp tool, die set and connectors are perfect, so best not to cut corners with cheap tools if you can afford it !

DIY is great, but hardly worth buying the tools for one cable.

As farmnut has found out, buying full 153 Metre or 305 Metre reels of 7710A and 7712A is not cheap unfortunately !

You can support these fine forums by buying Canare and Belden assembled and tested cables from the following links: 7710A Component cable , Canare LV77S Subwoofer cable , Canare LV61S analogue cables and Belden 1694A digital coax .

The forums receives a small percentage of all cables sold here by me, its not free! , so support the forums and help the admin pay for the new server and bandwidth :)

Mark.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    Hello Mark

Seeing as my new Canford catalogue arrived yesterday I can confirm:

Belden 1694A - minimum order 305m.

They do have 7731A by the meter - though of course the Canare plugs you need for that one are only available 'Special Order' so you'd have to be patient.

Best regards.

Joe