Answered UK - £1000 to spend, which tv would you choose?

Victim

Standard Member
Reaction score
So right now, or not far from now with £1000ish to spend and a 6 year old samsung plasma on your wall, what would you buy? 55 inch.

Family TV, mostly for movies and gaming with some tv shows threw in there.
Connected to PC (some gaming but more of an entertainment hub) an original xbox (so no 4k) and a yamaha soundbar. My days of competitive gaming are behind me lol so imput lag and refresh rate are not high on the list while still remaining relevant.

Anything new in the market will feel like an upgrade, I will still be 1080p mostly but would like to future proof a little. Would like to keep the TV for 5 or 6 years. I have my eye on a few sets but just wondering if I'm missing something and you guys are the experts so please give me your thoughts and reasons, thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
What size is your current tv? And what size would you like now?

Sorry I left that part out, the plasma is 55" and I would like to stay that size, I really don't think I could go backwards and going up would bring the price out of my range I think. I feel very happy with 55 inch

Sorry I left that part out, the plasma is 55" and I would like to stay that size, I really don't think I could go backwards and going up would bring the price out of my range I think. I feel very happy with 55 inch
LG B8 or Sony XF90 are the two best picks at that price

Looking at these I can get the XF90 for £900 and the B8 for £1080.
Which one would feel better or even which would you think would stand the test of time in 3 or 4 years?

Is the LG worth that extra £180 or should I buy pizza instead?

Thanks, that little push might be all I need. Will hop down on saturday and swipe the card. I hate talking to sales men or looking at the sets in store, they always make me doubt myself lol god bless the internet.

I searched B8 on these forums and it seems this question has been asked 100 times so I am currently flicking through those replies, sorry for the repeat post.

On a quick note, when the kids came along I sold my amp and floor standers and ended up with a yamaha ysp soundbar and sub. I see there are 2 versions of the B8, one with a better speaker, will that speaker rival a soundbar? As much as I miss my proper surround sound (and will replace in a year or so) this little yamaha is meaty as hell with music, could I get away with selling it? I'm thinking maybe no... but just in case

Anyway I'll sleep on this tonight, thanks for reading

In that case and since I'm wall mounting it, I should probably go for the slightly cheaper B8S, right? Richer Sounds are doing with for 1139 with a £75 voucher

Do not worry about screen burn unless you have unvaried usage. OLEDs are actually rated to last longer than LCDs do as they don't rely on backlights behind the TV.

Just be sure to understand much like with Plasma TVs that you cannot leave stationary images on the screen or view tickers for long periods of times.

I'm not really sure why that this has even been mentioned, you already know what to expect and wouldn't have your Plasma now if your usage trends created burn in.

Yea took the plunge myself, super pumped lol roll on tuesday

Attachments

• 57044216_850176185329677_1888109507842670592_n.jpg
    57044216_850176185329677_1888109507842670592_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 48
Personally, with a strict 1k budget I would head for the Panasonic eBay store and pick up a 55FZ802 for £899.99. I know that it is a refurb and you only get a year warranty but this does seem to be a decent deal for the money.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom