Uhf/vhf?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by animaal, Apr 10, 2005.

1. animaal

animaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to buy a recorder with a hard drive, and had narrowed my search down to the Panasonic EH50 or Toshiba XS34. But then I saw a posting on another review for a dvd recorder;

"...Eventually contacted Panasonic here who inform me that there's an E55EBL Model for the irish market, the decoder is UHF whereas it's vhf in the UK. Hopefully you get to read this before opening the box and going through hours of head-scratching and wife annoying behaviour..."

I looked up the irish broadcast frequencies here and it seems that since I live in Ireland, I will need both UHF and VHF support.

So, my question is, is there any good DVD/HD recorder that can be bought from UK and can operate on both UHF and VHF? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John.

2. podgerodge

podgerodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same predicament. Panasonic have told me that the UK model is UHF only and that the Irish model would cover both UHF and VHF. (it's VHF that is not required in the UK). I am amazed if this is true - why Panasonic would bother putting different tuners in for the UK and for Ireland when the Irish model would support both.

On the Toshiba XS34 , Toshiba UK have told me that "the UK model also supports VHF, but it has not been "tested" " so they cannot confirm it will work in Ireland, only that it should! Arggggghhh.

How difficult can it be to get answers to simple questions!

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    UK uses UHF for TV and VHF for FM radio, so it's UHF you want for the UK....Ireland though, I haven't a clue.