uhf pass through question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stephen19, Nov 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Difficult to know where to post this as it applies to vcrs, dvdrs, freeview, and tv!

With a collection of all of the above, at the moment my aerial lead is daisy chained between all the appliances. Does this cause signal degradation as it passes through each item? Would it be better to use a say, 4-way signal booster and run a lead direct from the booster to each box?

Thanks.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Difficult to say as some devices are loop thru 'passive' (ie the signal just passes in and out the back) and some are active (the signal passes in and out but via an internal amplifier). I presume you have asked your question because you are experiencing signal reception problems with one (or other) of these devices ? To tell if a loop through is active or passive you could pass the signal in and out of one box and feed it direct to your tv. Switching the power off to the device under test will answer what type is is (try each unit in turn). If you are experiencing a problem that you think my be related to signal strength then it might be worthwhile changing the order in which the boxes are daisy-chained together. Generally the DTT box would be first and the tv last. If you think you signal level is ok and would simply like to distribute it separately to the boxes then you need a tv rf distribution amplifier (rather than an RF booster) You would need an RF booster if you thought your signal level was too low (and many of these 'boosters' incorporate distribution outputs as well) I hope this is of some use. Regards, yt.