1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UHF cable continuity weirdness?? opinion needed pls

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by adj1, Jan 9, 2005.

1. adj1

adj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people. hoping someone can share some light on my confusion.

Ive been rigging up my Toshiba 36 zp with dvd vcr & sky.
    In addition to this i connect a UHF aerial.
    I understand (pls correct if i am wrong) that the center core & outside braiding on UHF cables are independant of each other.

Why when i connect my voltmeter across the centre core & braiding do i get continuty only after it comes out of a splitter on tv?

From my aerial they cable comes into sky- (cable checked ok)
    from sky into VCR (cable checked ok)
    from vcr into 3 way spliter (cable checked ok)
    3 way splitter direct into telly
    cable from other terminal on 3 way splitter back to loft booster & then distributed into other rooms.

The cable that comes from splitter to booster is only 1m & i have tested this disconnected ok. however when connected into the 3way splitter the continuity across the center core and braiding is breached????????

I have replaced the 3 way splitter but the same happens. If i disconnect this from tv then there is no continuity..strange.

Is this normal? if it is i just waisted about 3 hours checking all my connections-cable...... :laugh:

Thank you.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The bottom line is "Does it work ?"

You can get continuity across some devices in an aerial system, and it may not indicate a fault. As long as the cables are not short when they are not connected, there probably isn't a problem.