UHD universal player with high-res streaming and app control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DT79, May 10, 2019.

1. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I am looking to buy an UHD player which can do SACD & DVD-A, plus has a good streaming platform and a decent iOS app for controlling the streaming.

The streaming side is going to be used for mainly high-res music files, but I don’t have very many and am unlikely ever to have a huge number, so all I need is a half decent app to control it.

This is for my main music system, to replace a marantz UD7007, which is a good performer but has no app, the menu via the TV is painfully clunky, and it’s pretty picky about which DLNA servers it will work with.

I’m very happy with the Oppo which is in the other room, but since I can’t buy another one of those I want to know which would be the best alternative. It looks like a choice between a Sony X800M2, X1100ES or Pioneer LX500, but I wanted to hear from users as to how they fare from a streaming and app control perspective.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    As to the app side alone you might want to consider mconnectHD. It’s the best iOS streaming app I’ve used and in the past I used to use it in conjunction with an Oppo. Only a few quid for the pro version.

3. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Interesting, thanks. So it’s a 3rd party app acting as a controller for the streamer (in your case an Oppo Blu-ray player)? How do you go about figuring out whether an app like that is going to be compatible with whatever device it is you’re wanting to control?

4. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Basically it lists all of your capable players and DLNA servers. You just then pick what you want to play from and to. I've never come across a streaming app on a bluray player as good.

5. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I not sure I'd buy a UHD player for the purpose of stream and apps. Think I'd look at media streamer and AppleTV

6. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I’m just trying to avoid having an extra box and having to have the TV on to stream music. Plus I’ve got a Sonos connect and I’m too deep in that ecosystem to replace that. It’s literally just a handful of high res albums that I need to cater for here, so it really doesn’t warrant a dedicated device.

I do have an Apple TV, will that stream high res audio (and be controllable to do so without having to have the TV on)?