Question UHD player with external subtitles and few other questions

goveg

Novice Member
1) Do you know any UHD player that support external subtitles from USB?
For example, the bluray "The Silence of the Lambs (1991)" [Criterion], has only subtitles in English and I would like to put subtitles in another language. Oppo UDP-203 supported it but they Oppo discontinued it for some reason.

2) Panasonic DP-UB820-K supports HDR10+, Dolby Vision & HLG.
What will happen when I will play HDR10 movie (not HDR10+!) movie? I will get zero HDR?

3) Let's assume a laptop is connected to receiver via thunderbolt-hdmi / HDMI. The laptop doesn't need HDCP 2.2 to stream 4K? Only the receiver and the 4K TV?

4) I know that PowerDVD is able to play HDR10. There are no other windows players that support Dolby Vision and HDR10+, right?

5) Thank you very much! :)

wongataa

Every device that has HDR capability has to work with HDR10. That is the baseline HDR function. Dolby Vision etc are all optional HDR extensions.

If you are playing a 4K Blu-ray everything in the chain from the player to the display will need to work with the correct HDCP level. If you are playing 4K video with no encryption then it doesn't matter.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
1) Do you know any UHD player that support external subtitles from USB?
For example, the bluray "The Silence of the Lambs (1991)" [Criterion], has only subtitles in English and I would like to put subtitles in another language. Oppo UDP-203 supported it but they Oppo discontinued it for some reason.

2) Panasonic DP-UB820-K supports HDR10+, Dolby Vision & HLG.
What will happen when I will play HDR10 movie (not HDR10+!) movie? I will get zero HDR?

3) Let's assume a laptop is connected to receiver via thunderbolt-hdmi / HDMI. The laptop doesn't need HDCP 2.2 to stream 4K? Only the receiver and the 4K TV?

4) I know that PowerDVD is able to play HDR10. There are no other windows players that support Dolby Vision and HDR10+, right?

5) Thank you very much! :)
1. Chinese firmware V1.66 for Panasonic UB820/UB9000 is reported to support external subtitles.
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)
Some people here have said they have loaded this firmware OK.

2. It will play HDR10

goveg

Novice Member
Every device that has HDR capability has to work with HDR10. That is the baseline HDR function. Dolby Vision etc are all optional HDR extensions.

If you are playing a 4K Blu-ray everything in the chain from the player to the display will need to work with the correct HDCP level. If you are playing 4K video with no encryption then it doesn't matter.

Thank you :)

I wasn't sure if HDR10+ is back-compatible with HDR10.

As for the HDCP: how can I tell if the video has encryption or not and if a particular laptop support HDCP 2.2?

1. Chinese firmware V1.66 for Panasonic UB820/UB9000 is reported to support external subtitles.
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)
Some people here have said they have loaded this firmware OK.

2. It will play HDR10

Thank you

wongataa

As for the HDCP: how can I tell if the video has encryption or not and if a particular laptop support HDCP 2.2?
If you are playing a purchased Blu-ray disc it will have encryption. If you have obtained a rip of a Blu-ray it likely wont and if you have personally removed ripped a Blu-ray and removed the encryption it wont. If you have created a video yourself it won't have encryption unless you added it.

gibbsy

I wasn't sure if HDR10+ is back-compatible with HDR10.
HDR10 (or HDR) is the base level for the format. HDR10+ is metadata attached to the HDR base level. If a player or TV is HDR capable but not HDR10+ capable then the HDR10+ metadata is ignored giving just the HDR base level.

Welcome to the Forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom