UHD movie disappointment

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by 121, May 11, 2018.

1. 121

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought a 40" 4K Panasonic the other day on eBay which I used as a PC monitor. It was an upgrade from a 27" 1080p monitor. I usually download what I want to watch (usually TV shows) and haven't watched broadcasted TV for over 10 years due to annoying ads. I choose downloads around 2 to 3 GB and find the picture quality watchable. I've never owned a Blu-ray player. Recently I won a brand new Philips 55PUT6400/12 for cheap on eBay (like £1.20 cheap) and bought a Samsung UHD player to watch some UHD movies. I sold the 40" before buying the Samsung player. I was expecting the movies to be as sharp as that 4K Sony 'Another World' demo you see in retail shops, but they looked the same as the 2GB downloads I've been watching. The TV only has a few picture settings. The 'Movie' setting has strong anti-aliasing that makes viewing Windows 10 correct, but I found the UHD Blu-ray films to be similar to 1080p downloads on this setting. The UHD discs are supposed to be about 90GB right? The other settings make UHD Blu-ray movies oversaturated and pixelated.

The last show I downloaded was Fear the Walking Dead which was 2.4GB and was the same quality of a UHD Blu-ray movie disc. I can't play the Sony 'Another World' demo smoothly on my PC as I have a potato processor atm, but what did play was very sharp like I saw in retail shops. It might just be that the TV is 55" and a smaller 4K screen would be sharper. I which I could screen grab a movie shot to show you what I mean. I've read numerous bad reviews about Philips 4K displays so maybe it's just that. If it isn't then I want 8K movies.

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    The TV doesn’t support HDR, which now goes hand in hand with 4K. Most uhd discs support both, but if tv doesn’t have hdr capability then player will show it in SDR.

Distance from screen will affect your viewing too - you need to be c1m from screen to appreciate difference in detail v HD content.

3. SyStemDeMoN

SyStemDeMoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +776
    The best UHD experiences for me have been direct from UHD disc.
    Even Netflix which supports UHD with dolby vision isn't as clean as the disc in areas when a lot is happening on screen.
    Your not going to get the best quality from downloads frrom various sites either.

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    A 2GB download for a roughly 50 minute show is only a bitrate of 5Mbps which is low in the grand scheme of things. It is not going to be comparable with a UHD disk that could be up to 120Mbps. What UHDs did you see?

A smaller screen will appear sharper, but having a quick look at the reviews most seem to indicate the out of box settings of this TV are not good but can be improved a bit.

How did you manage to get it for only £1.20 ? Got to ask the question why did the seller want rid?

If you want 8k movies then you are going to have to sit about 6 inches from the screen to notice any difference :)

5. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    UHD disks are way better than any downloads. There is something wrong with that TV or the player isn’t sending 2160p.

Bit surprised it’s “brand new” with 4k but no HDR. I thought that transition step was done 2-3 years ago and all 4k TVs since then supported HDR.

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    It’s a 2015 model.

7. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    How is that brand new then? Just been sat in the box for 3 years?

Are you getting a 2160p signal through to it?

8. 121

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just solved it. 4K video only works on HDMI port 1 of 4. I had the 4K Samsung player in port 2.

I don't have the manual and noticed something mentioned awhile browsing 'options>specification>display input resolution>video formats' on the TV. It states '2160p 50z 60z HDMI 1 only'. Everything looked upscaled in port 2.

Also I found that settings>picture style>photo gives the best 4K video for this TV.