Question UHD Matrix questions

crofty136

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm moving into a new house within the next few weeks and want to get as many wires in place before I start decorating.

The heart of the system will be my 'cinema room' which I'm going to set up for Atmos using my Denon AVR-X2300, this will be located in a bench under the TV with the rest of my equipment, SkyQ, A bluray player and apple TV.

Also in the house will be a TV in my main bedroom and another 4k TV in the living room, both with sound bars.

It has been suggested that I can buy a matrix which I can put with all the equipment so that rather than get sky multiroom and multiple bluray players and apple TV boxes I can just use the ones which are downstairs in my cinema room.

I would like to have a level of control which made it feel like these were in the room with me. I also like the idea that there will be no wires visible as I can plaster over them

My initial searches have led me to the hdanywhere Mhub, is this suitable for what I want? What other systems could I look at?

Am I right in thinking that the only wires I will need within the wall are an ethernet cable and the IR extenders? Is there anything else I need to consider other than the power itself?

Is this the best way to do it or are there other options I should consider?

Richard

Audio - good that you are considering a Soundbar in each of the secondary rooms.

Soundbar - ensure they are UHD 4K capable and cater for the same range of audio signal formats as the AVR in the Cinema room. ARC is also good if you wish to use the TV as a Source - though note ARC requires you to enable HDMI CEC which can be problematic in a 'connected' system so also provide an Optical cable between the TV and the Soundbar (and ensure the TV and Soundbar also support Optical).

Control - can be achieved in a number of ways. Programmable remotes in each Zone over Routed IR (provided by the Matrix) is one - iOS or Android based Apps being another.

Cables - never rely on a single In-wall cable which has been plastered over - cables can and do get damaged, conduit is good if you can accommodate it if not install at least 2 x CAT cables.

Network - ideally you would also run an additional CAT cable for Networking duties alongside the CAT cable carrying your AV signals.

SKY Q - with just a Silver connected to a Matrix all Zones would have to be viewing the same channel at any time, possibly better to consider adding one or two Mini's to the system (they can all go via the Matrix) if there are a few folk in the house.

Matrix - HD over LAN is another possibility, though tends to offer better value when you are going for larger systems.

Matrix - with only three Zones you have to ask if 'centralising' is the best approach for you!

Joe

Thanks Joe. I'm going to have to do it in stages, so I wanted to get all the wires in place before it's too late. I may at some point add a 4th zone, the reason I liked the idea of a matrix was to reduce the number of wires and boxes I have to have in other rooms, It can all stay in the cinema room

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom