UHD ISO = Dune or Zidoo or Oppo 203+jailbreak

Salonchi

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide my best option for Playback of UHD ISO and/or BDMV.
I already have a Sony 800M2 for playing discs but would like to rip so that I can store away some of my discs that I don’t watch much and make things a little family friendly.
I thought about an Oppo 203 with Jailbreak, that was I wouldn’t need the Sony anymore - though I do like the Sony player.
I used to have a zappiti, but it didn’t have Full menus so was a pain with extras etc. Plus I found jumping in and out of Android a bit of a pain.

Requirement:
Family friendly easy to operate
BDMV / ISO support 4K UHD and 3D BD
Full menu support - I want the same exprience as playing the Bluray in the machine
SACD DSD/ISO playback for some multichannel SACDs I have - ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ etc.
Full bitrate Dolby Atmos, DTS X, Auro, DTS HD Master etc.
I don’t mind using built in drives or usb connected. I have a synology NAS as well, but would probably use direct connected drives to ensure smooth playback.
Everything sits in a rack in another room, so looks are not a concern.

Ihave Netflix and Amazon Prime already through AppleTV
I am also not concerned about hifi - DSD512 etc - I have a Lumin for that.

it feels like my best options are
Dune Pro vision Solo or Max Vision
One of the 4k Zidoo boxes - not sure which
Oppo 203 +jailbreak

I think the Oppo gives me everything I need an in high quality, but would be a three year old second hand box. Do the Dune and Zidoo boxes match the Oppo for picture and sound?

Zappiti are releasing their new boxes next month. I’d hold fire until then if you’re not in a rush.

In terms of outright performance, the audiocom edition Zappiti is still the one to beat for picture and audio, it is easily better than my old oppo 203 I had, hence why I sold it.

Thanks @mb3195 . Interesting to hear it beats the Oppo. Does Zappiti have full menus? It frustrated me they kept promising for the 4k box I had with them, but it never came. For the same reason I’m also a little sceptical about anything coming soon at the moment. The pandemic has certainly hit factories and supply chains making life very difficult. I was waiting on an Anthem processor for months.

I’ll take another look at the Zappiti though if PQ and SQ are too notch.

Menu support on Zappiti is patchy with various faults, ditto Zidoo. Best of the media players for full backups I’ve found is the Dune, though that is not perfect either.

I use a Cambridge CXUHD as my main player these days and my BDMV rips are just like playing the disc. Far superior to the media players. You don’t need to jail break it either, if you use the AVCHD trick, though for iso of course you do. So since the Oppo and CXUHD are essentially the same thing I’d go that route.

Thanks @mtenga. It felt to me that an oppo 203 or CXUHD would be best. I want full UHD rips to play with menus as if the actual disc. Both would be used and a few years old, but I think would do the job. I’ve just been a bit surprised by people saying PQ is better from some of the media boxes, particularly the zappiti cinema version. But if they are flaky with menus, then that would be annoying.

I’ve never seen the Audiocom Zap so can’t comment. Generally these upgrades are seen as little more than snake oil, but that view is probably put forward by people who have likewise not seen it.

I have owned, and still own some of the following 4K players: Oppo 203, CXUHD, Zappiti One SE, Zappiti Mini, Zidoo 1000 Pro, Dune HD Pro Vision, Dune Realbox. You’d be hard pressed to say any gave an obviously superior picture to the others. But menu wise on full rips the Zap and Zidoo are worse than the others, with subtitles always on, spinning circles, crashes, no resume etc…

Thanks. Any preference between the 203 and the CXUHD?

The important part here that wasn't mentioned is Dolby Vision. As far as I am aware, if you care about the format, the OPPO and its clone are the only players to play it back flawlessly.

The important part here that wasn't mentioned is Dolby Vision. As far as I am aware, if you care about the format, the OPPO and its clone are the only players to play it back flawlessly.
DV plays back fine on my CXUHD. It is the sister model to the Oppo, essentially the same functionality.

DV plays back fine on my CXUHD. It is the sister model to the Oppo, essentially the same functionality.
Yep would make sense since they share identical functionality

the best is OPPO UDP203 jailbreak. best picture, best audio, and more import is the one only to play dolby vision. the other don't play DV real.

the best is OPPO UDP203 jailbreak. best picture, best audio, and more import is the one only to play dolby vision. the other don't play DV real.
Interesting, as I've read some people that can't see any difference between Chinoppo and Dune playing Dolby Vision ISOs. Maybe "real" DV is just a gimmick or you need a very well trained eye to see an improvement over what Zidoo or Dune offer?

Using all 3 myself each with each its own goodies. Frankly use my OPPO UDP-203 only for MCH Music formats not supported by the other two (DVD-Audio and SACD MCH native DSD).
Regarding DV in practice the difference is too small for me to play a real role. Functionality during playback is more important for me which is far higher using the other 2.

Last edited:
Full uhd iso playback on the oppo 203 work fine with the trick mentioned above (using little software to make it work) or jailbroken.

I use my oppo 203 playback via network using qnap and have zero issues playing back full uhd dolby vision folder rips and it can playback mp4 dolby vision rips fine just not dolby vision in mkv rip which I use the nvidia shield Pro 2019 with plex, plex server running on my qnap.

I have my oppo upgraded with Coris power supply (like what audiocom does with upgrading components).

The dune and Cambridge audio player both had dolby vision licenses and hence why they could playback dual layer DV from discs or folder structure, not sure the newer players can do it with the newer chipsets.

Have not tried any of the zappiti or zidoo players and only the older versions on dune player.

Dune was good player but I wanted something with coverart poster and automatic way of dining it properly and ability to continue anywhere hence plex and emby servers were installed on my qnap and do direct playback in the local network.

no doubt the best is M9702 called also CHINoppo and is the clone of Oppo udp 203. I bought it from a group on a Spanish forum (avpasion), the proprietor who makes a group of buyers online and then orders in batches every month 40-50 pieces. arrives in about a month from china. is the exact jailbrak copy of the oppo udp 203 and for only only 300 euros you buy a reader worth 1000 euros or more. the only thing it dont have the player of disc. but it only works with streaming or hard disk connection. but the version with a disc player has already been released V204

Last edited:
Frankly the M9201/M9203/M9205 are slightly better as these use a real cloned OPPO motherboard not a cloned Pioneer motherboard with the same OPPO FW running on it.
Had both M9702 and M9203 so i can assure you the above.

I'm going round in circles trying to choose a media player. I have had many and none of them were ever satisfactory.

I would like to buy one that has space for an internal HDD. To avoid leaving a NAS on 24/7 and the price of electricity soon to follow that of gas.

I notice that the higher end players make much of their DAC quality - and I would be paying for these DACs.

But if I am outputting via HDMI to a sound processor, what is the point of these high performance days? There are no multichannel analog outputs for audio, so surely I would just be wasting my money.

Conclusion Zidoo Z1000Pro or Dune Pro Vision

N'est pas?

Last edited:
But if I am outputting via HDMI to a sound processor, what is the point of these high performance days? There are no multichannel analog outputs for audio, so surely I would just be wasting my money.

Conclusion Zidoo Z1000Pro or Dune Pro Vision

N'est pas?
You got it. Both are very nice with all ports on them but having different strengths.

Mais qui bien sure.

Aaargh!

I know it has no onboard storage, but is the Chinoppo M9203 a better choice?

Last edited:
Aaargh!

I know it has no onboard storage, but is the Chinoppo M9203 a better choice?

Use the oppo/chinoppo to Playback any format including DV and bd menus faultlessly from your synology NAS, also use the Synology DS Video app to maintain your movie folders And provide a browser interface on tablet or apple TV, having Tried numerous other players this is what I find works well.

The only thing with the Oppo 203 is it can't playback DV in MKV format, it can play do DV in MP4.

There is a free jailbreak for the oppo 203 players on this forum I have seen in the past but have not tried it.

It also takes longer to load large 4k files over the network from a nas than other players, we are talking about seconds (5-10sec) my network is fine.

The VS10 processing on the newer realtek 1619 media players suppose to be really good and make a good difference to what I heard, I also read somewhere that the zaps produced great picture due to having the extra pixel magic feature.

An OPPO is a universal disc player! Hence:
  • Only will play ISO/Folder WITH menu
  • No Jukebox or Posterwall databases
  • Limited MKV/MP4 file format support
  • Minimal external subtitle support
  • Filebrowser is passive only (no change functions)
What it does is done very well.

Want to have it all then you need to go for a Dune or Zidoo plus an OPPO clone. That is what demanding customers all end up with finally. For including MCH Music there is even no alternative.
Zidoo + OPPO is a very good combination as these optimize best on each others strengths and weaknesses. I think this is the final answer to this question.

Want also the best on streaming services then add a powered by Android Smart TV, Apple TV or NVidea Shield to the palet.
My own setup: Zidoo + OPPO + Android TV which offers it functionally all but isn't exactly the easiest to operate. So definitely not for everybody.

Last edited:
I have the Apple TV 4K, The Nvidia Shield 500GB Pro, the Oppo (but it's the 105EU so no jailbreak that I can find and the firmware is too recent). I even have the Humax Aura to have a play with; see if I can side load Netflix app.

I was proposing to plug the Apple TV or the Humax Aura into the rear HDMI Input of the BDP-105 so the wife can just turn on the Apple TV and the Oppo to watch all her Catchups and Youtube, Netflix, etc.

I am hoping that the NEW VLC 3.x.x will play my BD-ISO and DVD-ISO files from menus (it does on my MacBook) but I can't test as me and the Nvidia/ATV/Humax are 1000 miles apart until next week.

Job sorted if I can get the wife to accept two remotes (she greatly prefers just one). Shame the Oppo won't passthrough the rear HDMI input on standby.

Which media player to get?
Dune is an above average stable and universal media player doing everything pretty well. The best all-around media player I found thus far and I have seen plenty of them but:

If you want perfect BD Menu playback/processing from ISO/Folder get yourself an OPPO. There are no current alternatives to that. A Dune is getting close functionally but not (always) very smooth.

If you want perfect MCH Music playback including DTS-CD, SACD, BD Pure Audio and DVD-Audio get yourself an OPPO. No full alternatives here but Dune gets the closest missing native DSD for SACD and DVD-Audio MLP support.

If you want many advanced player features in general and specifically for Music Library & Movie Wall then get yourself a Zidoo (or maybe a Zappiti?)

If you want perfect streaming services get a Powered by Android TV, NVIDIA Shield TV or a Fire TV stick. This restriction is not a media player shortcoming but enforced by the respective video streaming providers stripping high end features as they like per brand/platform. The Android APP compatibility in itself is excellent with both Dune (Android TV) and Zidoo (Android Leanback).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom