UHD HDR Movie Release Delays

Ruby

I noticed that, although A Quiet Place 2 premiered on Sky on Friday, the UHD HDR version only became available today. I'm quite new to Sky Q and wanted to know if this is Sky's normal practice. It's annoying because I just watched the movie yesterday in HD thinking Sky weren't going to show it in UHD HDR. I remember Sky used to do this kind of thing with their 3D movies.

MarkNorton1

I always wait a few days with new releases like this, happened with The Suicide squad as well, not just sky though, happens with Amazon prime movies as well.

teeveedee

I noticed that, although A Quiet Place 2 premiered on Sky on Friday, the UHD HDR version only became available today. I'm quite new to Sky Q and wanted to know if this is Sky's normal practice. It's annoying because I just watched the movie yesterday in HD thinking Sky weren't going to show it in UHD HDR. I remember Sky used to do this kind of thing with their 3D movies.
Yes, very common with Sky Cinema. They can often suddenly remove the HDR version for no logical reason too.
I just cancelled my Cinema subscription as I worked out that I'd only watched two things in the past year and a half! I get much better value and quality from other streaming services.

Ruby

It's almost been a week since Nobody premiered on Sky and the UHD version still hasn't shown up. Does it usually take this long?

teeveedee

It's almost been a week since Nobody premiered on Sky and the UHD version still hasn't shown up. Does it usually take this long?
Sometimes. They're hopeless. They really are. Can't believe they've only just got that film. I think I saw it on a 4K HDR stream with Atmos from the USA in April last year!

cuke2u

We watched it last week in UHD on Sky and it's still available in that format...

TheViper101

Still the same here when I checked today. Monster Hunter premiered today and that is already available in UHD. I wish Sky would be consistent!
I'm guessing they don't have the rights to the UHD version for some reason. 'Tom And Jerry' was another fairly recent release that was just HD only.

cuke2u

There you go, it is still there today...

Attachments

• 20220129_095708.jpg
    20220129_095708.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 32

cuke2u

I am on topic with post #1 then and obviously confused😁

markb1980

I have been waiting for ages for Nobody to come on to Sky! So annoying it’s not UHD. I will keep waiting or buy off of iTunes. The more this happens the more inclined I am to cancel Sky Cinema and put the money I save towards iTunes movies.

teeveedee

Precisely what I've done. Sky Cinema is atrocious. Highly compressed, sped up, poor HLG HDR (when they feel like it) and very late in adding titles. iTunes is just infinitely superior - less compressed, proper frame rates, HDR10, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on much more content, plus iTunes extras.
The only benefit of Sky Cinema is if you don't care about those kind of things and just want a library of stuff available on demand without having to think too much about it. I paid for it for over a year and only watched two movies on it.

trevdigital

Precisely what I've done. Sky Cinema is atrocious. Highly compressed, sped up, poor HLG HDR (when they feel like it) and very late in adding titles. iTunes is just infinitely superior - less compressed, proper frame rates, HDR10, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on much more content, plus iTunes extras.
The only benefit of Sky Cinema is if you don't care about those kind of things and just want a library of stuff available on demand without having to think too much about it. I paid for it for over a year and only watched two movies on it.
Kind of know what you mean since I have an Apple TV 4k. But to be fair the LOTR triogy in UHD/HLG on Sky is, on my 2016 Panasonic DX902 FALD LCD, is comparable to the iTunes HDR10 versions. Sky seem to be able to do Atmos well over DD+. Monster Hunter in HLG with Atmos is visually impressive. I wouldn’t consider buying it on iTunes. My TV does not do DV, but I can’t really see how much better it would be considering my TV does 1000+ nits. I would definitely buy titles I really want either via iTunes or even on disc.

EEC5B78B-A61C-4CF7-A435-126752975787.jpeg

cuke2u

Watched that film last night, the PQ and sound were sublime...

trevdigital

I forgot I downloaded Godzilla vs Kong the HDR PQ and Dolby Atmos is insane. Trouser flapping bass is the benchmark for me🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom