Question UHD HDR 49" TV with Dual Freeview HD & DVB-S2 Tuners

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by SLZ, Dec 21, 2016.

1. SLZ

SLZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys,

I am looking for a new UHD HDR TV that is 49" minimum and has satellite connections as I'd like to use HD+ with the TV while also watching TV on Freeview HD, ideally I'd also like a recording facility (through external HDD?).

I originally looked at the Sony 49XD93 however I have been reading that there are issues which I can't establish if they're minor in the grand scheme of things or people just keep getting dud sets.

I had seen the Samsung 49KS8000 in Currys which has Freesat however I'm unsure of how the EPG works if using HD+ and as to whether it has a dual tuner so I can record while I watch (or just record two while watching Freeview).

Any suggestions on what I should look for?

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    Your only option may be the Sony TV's because unlike the other sat TVs they aren't UK branded with freesat.

I'm not sure how much flexibility you get with those tuners, but I know at least with the Sony (because it has no EPG) you get to choose where your dish is pointing.

However I don't think, coupled with your recording needs you'll be satisfied with a single TV solution. Specifics like watching Freeview whilst recording sat I really have no idea about so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't possible. I'm also pretty sure TVs only tend to have 1 sat tuner whist some have 2 fta tuners.

Perhaps manufactures themselves will know better or owners in a TVs respected owners thread but my personal view is simply recording Freeview alone with a TV is still a daunting experience compared to having separates. The most obvious of flaws being no integration of a smart TV guide and recording.I would love to be proved wrong.

3. SLZ

SLZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would agree that the Sony looks to be the best, and according to specs the Sony has 1xDVB-T2/C and 2xDVB-S2 tuners whereas the Samsung has 2xDVB-T2/S2/C tuners.

From further looking around I may not be able to record as seamlessly as I'd like but it will work, just not as good as if I'd used a box (which I don't wish to do so, due to location). I think I'll go with the Sony due to Android TV being present as I could potentially use the Zattoo app (which has recording capabilities itself) instead and have Freeview as standard viewing mode.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,248
    I hope we see the smart TV guides of both Freeview and freesat include recording functions, for me at least that's the main drawback.

You want as seemless solution as possible.

Anyhow, let me know how you get along once you've purchased the TV. PQ wise unless you want 43" the all the Sony's use IPS panels unless you get the XD93 which is 55" minimum. There's no 49" or 50" version.