UHD channels set as favourites

jet_andy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just changed to the latest Sky Q 2TB box in order to get HDR, as my original box was not compatible. On the old box, I had two UHD channels set in favourite positions 3 and 4. I could go straight to UHD football or F1. But I can't find a way of setting these on the new box, and can't remember how they got there on the old box. Anyone else have them set up?

They are not channels though are they? I would have thought that only when they are broadcasting could they be added to favourites?

They are not channels though are they? I would have thought that only when they are broadcasting could they be added to favourites?
Yes, they are channels. If I selected them on the old box when there were no live UHD broadcasts, I would either get a message saying that nothing was being broadcast on that channel, or there would be a white background with the Sky logo and a message saying 'UHD downtime'.

If they’re channels with numbers then you can make them Favourites. If not you can’t.

Yes, they are channels. If I selected them on the old box when there were no live UHD broadcasts, I would either get a message saying that nothing was being broadcast on that channel, or there would be a white background with the Sky logo and a message saying 'UHD downtime'.

That's gone with the SkyQ box. That's about my only annoyance with SkyQ. UHD is far too hidden for most people to find it.

I've just changed to the latest Sky Q 2TB box in order to get HDR, as my original box was not compatible. On the old box, I had two UHD channels set in favourite positions 3 and 4. I could go straight to UHD football or F1. But I can't find a way of setting these on the new box, and can't remember how they got there on the old box. Anyone else have them set up?
When you say you had favourite positions 3 and 4 set as UHD football and F1 do you mean that when you selected say 3 that then took you straight into the UHD version of the football or did you then have to click 'OK' for it to then show the UHD feed?

Are you sure you did not just set your favourites for football (3) and F1 (4) to channel 401 and 406 respectively then clicked 'OK' for the UHD feed?

I have had Sky Q since launch and have never heard of anyone being able to set favourites to a UHD channel that would take you directly into a UHD feed.

No - if I selected 3 or 4 it would take me directly to the UHD channel, no need to press 'OK' again or the Red button.
I am an electronics engineer by trade.....so sort of know what I'm doing 😃. This is why I'm quite annoyed with myself as I just can't remember setting them....

You cant set UHD as favourites - there are no channel numbers.

Well you must have had a very special older box then..... :p
All I can think is that maybe it was possible on earlier software versions, and even after updates that may have removed the feature, the channels remained in favourites.

I sense that some on here think I'm mistaken, and unfortunately I can't prove it with a picture as I obviously don't have that box anymore. But I can assure all that I am not a novice with AV, and it was as described. Maybe someone else has an older box with UHD favourites too?

The reason that people think you are mistaken is that in order to set favourites, it has always been the case that you need to have an allocated channel number. And Sky has never had any dedicated UHD channels - only UHD via the red button/enter button or the Sports tab on the main menu, or via download.

So for F1 for instance, I have 406 set as a favourite, but that only gives me HD. So to view the UHD coverage, I access it via the Sports tab, as well as recording it using the same method.

But I can assure all that I am not a novice with AV, and it was as described. Maybe someone else has an older box with UHD favourites too?
Doesn't make you immune to being mistaken.
The age of the box has nothing to do with it, it's the software version that box had that matters.

Well all the doubters I am absolutely NOT mistaken. I had the box for 5 years or whatever it was and every week watched F1 or football in UHD by selecting the channel directly. I know how favourites are set up now and that there is no way do it, so don't need lessons in that.
I wonder if there was an option to select the currently watched channel as a favourite or something along those lines.
But please don't reply if you're just going to simply dismiss what I've said.

No one needs to dismiss it, we know you are mistaken. Unless you can prove us wrong of course.

So when you watched the footy or FI by selecting a favourited channel, what channel number were you selecting directly then? As I say, I can select 406 "Sky Sports F1 HD" directly, but there is no "Sky Sports F1 UHD" channel to select.

So I just posted on the Sky forum, asking if anyone else had this set up. Within a few minutes I had a reply with someone else who had had a V1 box with UHD favourites.

CaptainJames - I selected it by pressing the selet button, to bring the display on the bottom of the screen showing details of the channel currently on. You can then scroll through favourites without going into main menu. So I simply scroll to position 3 or 4 and press Select.Or I could just press 3 or 4.

I've been in electronic equipment servicing for 30 years or so. I learnt early on not to simply dismiss any issue that I've not seen or heard about before unless 100% certain. Because if you're ultimately proved wrong it makes a so called expert look stupid.

No one needs to dismiss it, we know you are mistaken. Unless you can prove us wrong of course.

So when you watched the footy or FI by selecting a favourited channel, what channel number were you selecting directly then? As I say, I can select 406 "Sky Sports F1 HD" directly, but there is no "Sky Sports F1 UHD" channel to select.
You don't have to enter a channel number, you can enter a favourites number.

So I just posted on the Sky forum, asking if anyone else had this set up. Within a few minutes I had a reply with someone else who had had a V1 box with UHD favourites.

CaptainJames - I selected it by pressing the selet button, to bring the display on the bottom of the screen showing details of the channel currently on. You can then scroll through favourites without going into main menu. So I simply scroll to position 3 or 4 and press Select.Or I could just press 3 or 4.

I've been in electronic equipment servicing for 30 years or so. I learnt early on not to simply dismiss any issue that I've not seen or heard about before unless 100% certain. Because if you're ultimately proved wrong it makes a so called expert look stupid.

Yes, we all know how to scroll through favourites. but what you haven't explained is what channel number you selected for UHD? What was on "position 3 or 4"? On it's own, that's meaningless, you needed to have a channel number allocated to position 3 or 4 - so what channel number was it?

You don't have to enter a channel number, you can enter a favourites number.
Yes, but you need to allocate a channel number to your favourites number...... :facepalm:

Yes, we all know how to scroll through favourites. but what you haven't explained is what channel number you selected for UHD? What was on "position 3 or 4"? On it's own, that's meaningless, you needed to have a channel number allocated to position 3 or 4 - so what channel number was it?
As it was a favourite they of course had favourite numbers, so yes, 3 and 4.

There was no channel number. If you scroll through your favourites you will see the actual channel number is not shown, only the channel name and favourites number.

There was no channel number. If you scroll through your favourites you will see the actual channel number is not shown, only the channel name and favourites number.
So none of your favourites have channel numbers now? Not 406 for FI? Not 115 for BBC1 HD?

I give up, you are obviously on a wind up mate.

Bye.

A suggestion/vague memory from the Sky forum is that early on, with fewer channels and less UHD content, the UHD channels were designated in the 99* range. Or maybe they came up in the most watched category, although they don't currently.

So none of your favourites have channel numbers now? Not 406 for FI? Not 115 for BBC1 HD?

Bye.
Not in the display along the bottom of the screen, no!

Look for yourself, know-all.

Bye.

Attachments

• 20210207_153409.jpg
    20210207_153409.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 100
Not able to do, I work for sky and this is a feature that has never been available.

Not able to do, I work for sky and this is a feature that has never been available.
I don't care that you work for Sky, as you clearly do not know everything about the product since launch. This is a feature that I had and used for 5 years or so, and others on the Sky forum have too.
And to be frank I'm getting a little off that people on here think I'm making it up.

I don't care that you work for Sky, as you clearly do not know everything about the product since launch. This is a feature that I had and used for 5 years or so, and others on the Sky forum have too.
And to be frank I'm getting a little p****d off that people on here think I'm making it up.
I don't think you are making it up. I just read your post on the Sky Community forum and there is one other person who has posted to say they also set up UHD channels as favourites. What I do find odd though is that this thread is the first time I have come across it. It would be a useful feature, although it's not that much of an issue seeing as though you can access football and F1 in UHD with one extra click.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom