UHD Broadcasting in the U.K.

tobyadams

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any timeline as to when we might see BBC One UHD?

I have just got the Sony A90J and pictures from Netflix and the like in Dolby Vision are simply stunning. We still do occasionally watch live TV but even with very good upscaling, broadcast HD channels look poor. I know that BBC have worked with NHK in Japan to develop UHD and HDR broadcasting and I just wondered if there are any indications as to when this might start in the U.K.?

There was also supposed to be a 'brand new' iPlayer in March, but I have not heard anything about that either. I was hoping there would be some 4K content on there, but it is still limited to the trial. It is a case against the licence fee that Netflix, Disney and Amazon are pushing out 4K Dolby Vision / Atmos content on the daily and yet auntie beeb is faffing around with trials... not good / competitive.

Even then it's highly dubious. 4K was already overkill (hence why they added HDR+WCG - 4K alone wouldn't have sold).
Cinema was fine at 2K and nobody complained that it was a low resolution, even on modern laser projectors like those from Sharp-NEC and Sony.

4K prices are dropping so they TV/panel makers started the 8K gravy train.

It's not about giving the consumer the best. It's about keeping prices inflated once markets become saturated.
AND lowering quality so we're always a generation behind in order to generate sales of new technology.
Bbchd at 20mbps looked incredible. It now looks gash, more like SD.
BBC uhd trials used to look unbelievable.
Now they look HD at best.

Upvote 0
BBC HD did indeed look incredible on satellite. Now it looks pants. But its OK on Freeview.
How?
Both have very similar bitrates and range of bitrates.
Codecs are identical and the coders are very similarly set up, other than the ability on Freeview to code as 25p in a 50i wrapper on static style shots (and films) which is used to reduce the needed bitrate a tad. Min/Mean/Max from digitalbitrate just now (Mbit/s):

1.1 4.3 15.6 freesat
1.3 4.4 14.7 on Freeview

I suspect receiver and/or display per input settings differences will influence that 'view'. I know my Foxsat-HDR is meant to have a 'softer' output than more recent fresat pvrs, for example.

Upvote 0
They also seem to think we're all watching on phones and tablets and the PQ and sound are therefore, fine.

the problem is, a lot now are watching on mobile devices.
obviously not a majority, but possibly a lot of the target audience are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the problem, a lot now are watching on mobile devices.
obviously not a majority, but possibly a lot of the target audience are.
Agreed, I've already said the same thing in another thread. What looks OK on a tablet isn't going to be the case on large TV's

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom