Uhd bluray with dolby vision and freeview pvr?

blofse

After having many boxes under my TV, I'm trying to combine as many boxes into a couple therefore eliminating my mess of cables behind the tv. I may be chasing the dragon, but are there any brands which combine both a freeview pvr and also 4k uhd blur Ray playing + dolby vision support? After looking around only the Panasonic bluray drives come close, but I am unsure if those players can support dolby vision (with an update). Does such a device exist? I'm hoping there is a brand outside of the norm which I've not heard of which will help my plight .

Otherwise, I guess I could just go for one of the Panasonic bluray players which do support dolby vision + a small freeview pvr. This could work out cheaper anyway so may be the best option, however I already have a ps5, nvidia shield and with the potential of an additional two devices its going to be busy hdmi wise.

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any help on this subject, thank you.

gibbsy

Recorders are becoming a thing of the past no doubt aided by the rise of streaming services and set top boxes such as the SkyQ offering. Panasonic are only making 4K players as are Sony and all the current players will support Dolby Vision. It's easier to use on Panasonics though. Some older players have had DV as a firmware upgrade.

The problem at the moment is that players, or at least different manufacturers, are thin on the ground because of Covid. Pioneer seems to have left the market because of financial problems, so your choice is very limited indeed.

blofse

Recorders are becoming a thing of the past no doubt aided by the rise of streaming services and set top boxes such as the SkyQ offering. Panasonic are only making 4K players as are Sony and all the current players will support Dolby Vision. It's easier to use on Panasonics though. Some older players have had DV as a firmware upgrade.

The problem at the moment is that players, or at least different manufacturers, are thin on the ground because of Covid. Pioneer seems to have left the market because of financial problems, so your choice is very limited indeed.
I tried looking for a Panasonic that had 4k uhd and dolby vision support and struggled. Can you recommend a model which has both? Understand its a dieing market due to streaming, but I still like to record things on TV so I can skip the adverts. And I have a fairly healthy 4k bluray collection that could do with playing...

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I tried looking for a Panasonic that had 4k uhd and dolby vision support and struggled. Can you recommend a model which has both? Understand its a dieing market due to streaming, but I still like to record things on TV so I can skip the adverts. And I have a fairly healthy 4k bluray collection that could do with playing...
For players: UB450, UB820, UB9000

gibbsy

There's nothing on the market that meets your requirements. A PVR will have to be standalone as will the 4K player.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Yes I saw these players, sadly none feature freeview which was the main other requirement from the post. I'm guessing there isn't a player which combines both.
No there isn't.
I was replying to your "I guess I could just go for one of the Panasonic bluray players which do support dolby vision + a small freeview pvr."

blofse

No there isn't.
I was replying to your "I guess I could just go for one of the Panasonic bluray players which do support dolby vision + a small freeview pvr."
OK cool. So now I know there isn't such a device, out of the bluray players you recommended, is the ub820 worth the extra cash over the UB450? Feature wise they appear almost the same, so is the picture quality that much better on the 820?

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
OK cool. So now I know there isn't such a device, out of the bluray players you recommended, is the ub820 worth the extra cash over the UB450? Feature wise they appear almost the same, so is the picture quality that much better on the 820?
Biggest difference is UB450 doesn't have any streaming apps, UB820 does.

For playback of Dolby Vision UHDs they should be much the same.
For some HDR10 UHDs the UB820 may produce a better picture through use of its HDR Optimiser feature. This can tone map high nits UHDs down to a level that the TV/PJ can better deal with.

But this depends on how good the TV/PJ is at dealing with these high nits UHDs in the first place and how high the nits are for the disc. Many to most recent UHDs I seen have nits at a level that most TVs can deal with themselves. It is only the older UHDs which have the very high nits levels which TVs can struggle with.

So what is your TV?

blofse

Biggest difference is UB450 doesn't have any streaming apps, UB820 does.

For playback of Dolby Vision UHDs they should be much the same.
For some HDR10 UHDs the UB820 may produce a better picture through use of its HDR Optimiser feature. This can tone map high nits UHDs down to a level that the TV/PJ can better deal with.

But this depends on how good the TV/PJ is at dealing with these high nits UHDs in the first place and how high the nits are for the disc. Many to most recent UHDs I seen have nits at a level that most TVs can deal with themselves. It is only the older UHDs which have the very high nits levels which TVs can struggle with.

So what is your TV?
LG B9, so I suspect most of the problems your stating should be sorted by the b9 anyway? Thanks very much for your help so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom