UHD Blu-ray players with twin HDMIs that can stream 4K HDR content

Mr Wolf

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on a buying a new 4K HDR capable projector (most likely an Epson TW9400) for my HT room. The problem is that my current AV receiver doesn't support 4K HDR throughput so until I replace it I need a workaround. My current thinking is to use a UHD BR player with twin HDMI outputs that can also act as a 4K HDR capable streaming hub for Amazon and Netflix.

The Panasonic DP-UB820 looks like it can do this but are there any particular players that you would recommend for this application?

Is it correct to assume that all BR players that support HDR on UHD discs will also support 4K HDR via their streaming apps?

Last edited:
As far as i know dual hdmi players are usually to split the audio from the video so you plug one into your tv and one into your amp, the secondary socket is only hdmi 1.4 as it's only carrying audio.
At least that's what my Panasonic 390 does.

Is it correct to assume that all BR players that support HDR on UHD discs will also support 4K HDR via their streaming apps?

Hi, I couldn't say "all" but it's worth sharing that my old Samsung was about fifty quid with postage 2nd hand, it offers HDR, BT2020 etc (doesn't do DV) on my discs, Netflix and Amazon.

Not recommending it, as you clearly want something much better, just making the point that if it does it I expect most do!

As far as i know dual hdmi players are usually to split the audio from the video so you plug one into your tv and one into your amp, the secondary socket is only hdmi 1.4 as it's only carrying audio.
At least that's what my Panasonic 390 does.
Sure, my question is the format of the video content that gets streamed via the primary (audio+video) HDMI output i.e. does it support HDR?

Hi, I couldn't say "all" but it's worth sharing that my old Samsung was about fifty quid with postage 2nd hand, it offers HDR, BT2020 etc (doesn't do DV) on my discs, Netflix and Amazon.

Not recommending it, as you clearly want something much better, just making the point that if it does it I expect most do!
Thanks, that's reassuring. Not sure about the "clearly want something much better" - I probably shouldn't have used the word "best" in the title [EDIT: Thread title now changed]. I'm simply looking for viable options really although I expect newer players will have better/quicker App interfaces. Does your Samsung have twin HDMI outputs?

Last edited:
Sure, my question is the format of the video content that gets streamed via the primary (audio+video) HDMI output i.e. does it support HDR?
Sorry mate i completely misread your question.
Mine does support hdr yes and as it's the lower model it should be the same for the 820, no dv on mine though.

Sorry mate i completely misread your question.
Mine does support hdr yes and as it's the lower model it should be the same for the 820, no dv on mine though.
OK, thanks. Does your lower model have twin HDMI outputs? If so, which one is it?

Thanks, that's reassuring. Not sure about the "clearly want something much better" - I probably shouldn't have used the word "best" in the title. I'm simply looking for viable options really although I expect newer players will have better/quicker App interfaces. Does your Samsung have twin HDMI outputs?

I've looked it up and it was £63. And one of the best £63 spent. Unbelievably, streaming apps respond pretty close to the speed of on the Shield. But I think Samsung are the kind of company that supports stuff like this. I mean, it is still getting regular software updates, which I think is amazing haha. It doesn't have DV but I think the picture's great (especially with my recent findings on HDMI settings you've probably seen).

But it only has one HDMI out. There is a very, very similar model (might be 6700?) that is almost the same but has two HDMI outs. And that's probably still cheaper used than the Sony equivalents.

Oh, and it doesn't support Disney+ if you care about that.

Sorry mate, I thought you were looking for a posh one 🤣

OK, thanks. Does your lower model have twin HDMI outputs? If so, which one is it?
Yeah, it's the (i think) ub390, i think they were a curry's special, twin hdmi out, hdr, no wifi though.
Aside from the toytown remote and no dv I'm happy with it, it was very cheap as well.
Got it for the twin hdmi as my reciever at the time didn't support hdr.

Hi, I'm planning on a buying a new 4K HDR capable projector (most likely an Epson TW9400) for my HT room. The problem is that my current AV receiver doesn't support 4K HDR throughput so until I replace it I need a workaround. My current thinking is to use a UHD BR player with twin HDMI outputs that can also act as a 4K HDR capable streaming hub for Amazon and Netflix.

The Panasonic DP-UB820 looks like it can do this but are there any particular players that you would recommend for this application?

The Sony UBP-X800m2 has twin HDMI outputs and has 4k HDR Amazon/Netflix and Youtube apps that stream at 24 and 60hz playback. Sony UHD Blu-ray players are the only ones that can stream apps at 24hz and also have a setting where you can send HD Blu-rays at native 1080p and UHD discs at native 4k without having to go into the player settings each time to change resolution. If wanting to send HDR/BT2020 to a tv/projector and have the apps at 24hz then the Sony's are the best UHD Players hands down. Panasonic players don't have a setting to send HD Blu-rays at native 1080p and UHD discs at native 4k, you have to go into the players settings each time to change resolution between 1080p and 4k and the 4k HDR Amazon/Netflix and Youtube apps only stream at 60hz and are buggy on the Panasonics. But this is where Panasonic players have the edge and that's that they can do SDR/BT2020 as well as SDR/Rec709 and obviously HDR/BT2020. Not all Panasonic models can send SDR/BT2020 though so you need to check which ones do. The DP-UB820 does though and has twin HDMI outputs but the streaming apps are crap, so you now have a decision which make/model is best for you between the Sony/Panasonic? As projectors can't really do justice to HDR then maybe the Panasonic 820 is the best choice for 4k discs as it can send SDR/BT2020. The other option is just forget 4k HDR and get an HD Blu-ray player with Amazon/Netflix and Youtube?

Thanks for such an informative response, I'll dig deeper into the specs. It'll have to be able to do 4K as I'll be 3.6m from a 125" 2:35.1 screen and would appreciate the difference.

Thanks for such an informative response, I'll dig deeper into the specs. It'll have to be able to do 4K as I'll be 3.6m from a 125" 2:35.1 screen and would appreciate the difference.
In that case as you are going to be using it with a Projector then the only player that you should even be considering is the Panasonic 820 so you can use it for 4k SDR/BT2020 due to the fact that HDR and Projectors don't really go with eachother.

Bit off the wall but, if you have any kids in the family, there are also games consoles to consider. Bonus with those is that their streaming platforms should have a long life of software updates.

I've thought about it, one of our grandsons is only 4, but in a couple of years maybe.

For you, as it's a separate room, could work even better. We have an AV setup in on of the spare bedrooms, currently has a PS3 in there, but I'm not upgrading that to 4k 😲

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom