Question UHD BD-Player & good network media player - does it exist?

t-force

Hi all,

Please forgive me if I'm asking a question that has been asked umpteen times previously.

Is there a UHD BD player (with Dolby Vision) which also has good support for playback & display of files on my server? Currently I have use my XB1X for my UHDs, and I have a Mede8er for my ripped files (h.264 within .mkv). If possible, I'd like to have a dedicated player, but a lack of space and HDMI sockets means that I'll have to remove a device from my AV system.

As far as playback of files go, I'd need things to be displayed with a nice image wall (as the Mede8er does now), rather than just a list of files.

I can appreciate that most disc player manufacturers probably want to stay on the good side of content producers, so what I'm asking for may be too much to hope for, and I doubt there's a UHD player that would support Kodi or Plex...

Any input gratefully appreciated!

next010

Distinguished Member
Xbox has Kodi in it's app store though it is still a developers build and not entirely stable.

Anything else your looking at Plex or Emby if they have a client for a movie wall experience, which UHD players have those I could not say.

algu01

Hi all,

Please forgive me if I'm asking a question that has been asked umpteen times previously.

Is there a UHD BD player (with Dolby Vision) which also has good support for playback & display of files on my server? Currently I have use my XB1X for my UHDs, and I have a Mede8er for my ripped files (h.264 within .mkv). If possible, I'd like to have a dedicated player, but a lack of space and HDMI sockets means that I'll have to remove a device from my AV system.

As far as playback of files go, I'd need things to be displayed with a nice image wall (as the Mede8er does now), rather than just a list of files.

I can appreciate that most disc player manufacturers probably want to stay on the good side of content producers, so what I'm asking for may be too much to hope for, and I doubt there's a UHD player that would support Kodi or Plex...

Any input gratefully appreciated!
Yes indeed, the Oppo udp-203 or 205 if you manage to find one. Also the Cambridge cxuhd, which is basically a rebranded Oppo 203 but might be easier to find.

I use my 203 mostly as a network media player and it’s really, really good at that.

algu01

With a "movie wall" rather than just a list of filenames?
Nope, if you care about metadata and the look and feel there is nothing available.

But all of those UHD-players has an HDMI-in port that you can plug a Kodi firestick into and then use the superior scaling and filters Built into the respective UHD-player. This is the closest you can get to your pink unicorn I’m afraid...

Ensor

Nope, if you care about metadata and the look and feel there is nothing available.
Thanks, that's what I thought. It doesn't actually bother me particularly (I'm still perfectly happy with my Dune BD Prime 3.0 and its list view) but the OP was wanting something with a "movie wall".

I was asking mainly as the BD drive in my Dune is failing after years of sterling service (it's stopped reading DVDs, though the red "DVD" laser hasn't failed - it's just unable to focus properly) and if I can't repair it I'll be needing a replacement in due course. I like the look of the Cambridge CXUHD, but I'm guessing supplies will dry up soon.

This is the closest you can get to your pink unicorn I’m afraid...
Tell me about it...I've been using networked media players since around 2003 and I'm yet to find the perfect one box solution.

The Dune comes pretty darn close, but it can't handle the protection on all too many BDs (mainly Disney and recent FOX discs) so I have to keep a dedicated player around just for those. :(

algu01

Thanks, that's what I thought. It doesn't actually bother me particularly (I'm still perfectly happy with my Dune BD Prime 3.0 and its list view) but the OP was wanting something with a "movie wall".

I was asking mainly as the BD drive in my Dune is failing after years of sterling service (it's stopped reading DVDs, though the red "DVD" laser hasn't failed - it's just unable to focus properly) and if I can't repair it I'll be needing a replacement in due course. I like the look of the Cambridge CXUHD, but I'm guessing supplies will dry up soon.

Tell me about it...I've been using networked media players since around 2003 and I'm yet to find the perfect one box solution.

The Dune comes pretty darn close, but it can't handle the protection on all too many BDs (mainly Disney and recent FOX discs) so I have to keep a dedicated player around just for those. :(
If you want the perfect solution media-wise, I’ll guess you have to build your own, based on an Intel Nuc or something similar but I’d suspect the disc playing capabilities would be lacking.

I’d still consider one of the players I mentioned, the quality and file support is great! You could start out with just the player and then add some android based hdmi stick and get the perfect one box solution, it’ll cost you dearly though :) !

Ensor

...but I’d suspect the disc playing capabilities would be lacking.
Indeed, I've looked into doing just that many times over the years. Unfortunately without going to a Windows based media PC (which is exactly what I don't want for a variety of reasons) BD playback would be all but impossible.

I’d still consider one of the players I mentioned, the quality and file support is great!
Yes, the Cambridge would be top of my list. I'm still reeling from the sheer expense of Christmas though and I fear they'll be unavailable by the time I'm in a position to grab one. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom