UHD Atmos via One S to a non 4k receiver and 1080p TV

Discussion in 'TV & Multimedia via Xbox One' started by martimu, Jul 12, 2018.

1. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Hi,

I was about to upgrade my PS4 as I'm running out of space. But it occurred to me I could get an Xbox One S as a future upgrade to UHD.

My current gear is not 4k but is atmos/dtsx. I'm getting frustrated with blurays not containing the 3D soundtracks

If I get an Xbox One S and plug into my amp presumably it will downscale to 1080p but retain the Atmos/DtsX soundtrack?

If so I think that would swing me to getting one!

Thanks

Martin

2. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Yes I sometimes play uhd discs on my one S in spare room which is connected to a Panasonic 1080p plasma and it just scales to 1080p. Does give a warning about it being a 4k disc and not getting full experience. The audio output settings are in different menu so set them for the receiver to decode the audio to get atmos. Xbox has now been updated and outputs the dashboard in atmos now too so would have the bonus of that as well.
    Seen mention that you can get a one S for £150 on amazon prime day if you have that.

3. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Thanks is1111.

Funny had just done the prime day thing. Think the PS4 may be getting relegated for a while.

I'm actually not too fussed about the 4k yet as it's not going to be cheap to upgrade but really would like the Atmos/DtsX

4. THX1138UK

THX1138UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The lack of immersive soundtracks on 'standard' Blu-ray is massive disappointment for people who expected (and were promised) it would become the norm. But the studios see it as a reason to force people down the UHD disc route. Sometimes the US Blu-ray discs do have the immersive sound, while the UK / European discs do not.

But yes, so long as you have a UHD Blu-ray player, you can play a UHD disc and it will be down sampled to 1080p if you don't have a 4K display - allowing you to experience the immersive soundtrack.

It's also a way of seeing John Wick uncut (the UK Blu-ray is trimmed, but the UK UHD disc is the American uncut version). At least they finally got rid of zones and regions with UHD.

Cheers,

James.

5. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I'm still annoyed by it. I invested heavily at the time for Atmos/DTS X but 4K was not mature so couldn't have got anything that would now be compatible anyway. it annoys me more than anything because us AVholics will upgrade over time anyway - for the picture. Forcing the sound is completely unnecessary.

Anyway I subscribe to Cinema Paradiso so it will just allow me to get the 4k option in when it's available so I can at least enjoy the sound as it should be. Given the cost of the console, it was a no-brainer!