1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh-oh... fungus is back. Doh!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boy Lex, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read my thread about fungus removal a few months ago, you'll know how much this stuff gets in the way of a nice picture!!! Have a search for fungus if you don't know what I'm referring to and you should find out.

When i got my seleco svp350+ the green sony tube had fungus on it and subsequently anything white had a green glow around on it and things looked decidedly blurred. One of the things I was worried about when I put it back together was that I noticed the paint on the metal inside the coolant housing was stripped. It looks like its the culprit and small bits of fungus are developing again.

So... bad news is I have to re-de-fung this green tube. Good news is I can take lots of lovely piccies while I'm doing it!!!

BIG QUESTION FOR EXPERTS HERE:

Anyone know where I can get hold of the blue-coloured glycol coolant to fill this tube with fresh coolant instead of filtering the old again?

Thanks!

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    interesting problem. :)

Does it have to be blue glycol (I'm new here)?

There are some products you can buy that have a fungicide built in, so I wonder of something like that might be better? Glycol is an anti-freeze product isn't it?

Gary.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's blue coming out, so I feel like it out to be blue when it goes back in!

The fungus isn't a biological phenomenon (just a convenient name because of what it looks like). From all accounts its a chemical reaction between the aluminium of the houseing and the coolant triggered by the light from the phospher.

Anti-freeze is a little too blue, but I'm thinking if I can get hold of some clear glycol I could mix up a similar colour. Hard to come by though because if it's clear some muppet will drink it! (How stupid do you need to be?!)

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Ah, I see...

Car anti-freeze often has additives in if it's designed for aluminium engines so that it will prevent corrosion occuring. I wonder if this type of anti-freeze is suitable? Or is the liquid being used to couple the lenses to reduce halo?

Does the coolant contact the lenses and effect colour accuracy at all? If it doesn't, then I would have thought any suitable glycol or equivalent would do the job. Of course if it need some optical properties to perform it's function then that might make a difference. Have you contacted the manufacturers to see if they can supply you with the correct coolant?

If you did experiment with car anti-freeze, what's the worst that could happen?

Gary.

5. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guaranteed the crt turns on when its cold? :D

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure my mistake was not re-spraying the aluminium black the last time i did it - so I'll do that this time. I'm not entirely sure about the optical properties. As far as I know, barcos use clear coolant and filters. The worst that could happen would be that the coolant wouldn't dissipate heat from the front of the tube sufficiently and would cause severe tube burn.

7. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had to fill my green tube with new coolant. The colour *does* matter. If it came out coloured then you'll need the same stuff.

I couldn't get hold of any new coolant :thumbsdow but someone managed to give me some extracted from a broken projector. If you do find a source then please tell us.

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right... I'm going to make some phonecalls then... There must be a supplier for this stuff somewhere!

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    When I was combining two lens filters together for my digital (taken out of the holders so it was glass-to-glass), I'm sure someone over at avs mentioned using a certain type of liquid that might help (I was getting some lens flare when they were screwed together). I think he suggested it because it was similar to what they put in CRTs for liquid coupling. I think it was The Ferrett IIRC, so you could try a search over there.

Gary.

10. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone up for a little experiment?

I was thinking... coolant... coolant... coolant...

Hang on all these PC boffs are using water cooling in their pcs now - there must be a range of different products that might be suitable as an alternative to sourcing specifically CRT tube coolant.

Check out http://www.fluidxp.com

It's clear, it's coolant, it's non-conductive (useful if it leaks!), it's dyeable (I'm thinking printer ink?) and if you look at the questions section it lists glycol in its ingredients.

What do we think? Shall I give it a go?

11. joerg

joerg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Great link Joe.

Will that fit the bill Lex?

Gary.

13. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one... I'd seen that before and was trying to find it again. I've e-mailed to find out how much he charges - will post details... Looking at the fluidxp, it has some sort of floating crap in it that is supposed to prevent it from evaporating, so I guess I could buy it and filter it, but it looks like this guy has done all the hard work already.

14. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eek!!! £60 per tube! Think I'll keep looking for a bit yet!

15. soerenp

soerenp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you might need to filter the liquid before using it for crt cooling. I found this entry in the FAQ :

· What are the small white flakes in the fluid?

A: The white little flakes are from a chemical in Fluid XP known as 1-Dodeconol. It is part of the formula that reduces evaporation. When heated the white flakes melt into a thin layer on the surface of the reservoir to minimize the air evaporative effect on the fluid.

I worry that this chemical could potentially appear as a smear on the crt surface.

16. soerenp

soerenp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - and Boy Lex already noticed the potential flake issue with FluidXP. Please excuse my careless posting :)

17. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. I agree. I have subsequently defunged and just topped up with de-ionised water. There are a bunch of stills waiting to go up to demonstrate the process, but I've been moving house, so I haven't yet got round to posting it all... Watch this space!