Ugh! Car break in :(

Hillskill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parked up for the day on Friday in an NCP car park in mayfair. Came back at the end of the day and front passenger window was popped and items taking. Got a call booked in with the insurance company tomorrow. Are they going to insist on receipts for all lost items?
Having checked google reviews it appears the car park is regularly seeing cars broken into. The only CCTV is on the ground floor where you enter and exit the car park. Staff seemed helpful enough but pretty nonchalant. £55 a day you'd expect the car to be secure and watched!

Really sorry to hear that.
As they always say, never leave anything that looks interesting, on view inside your car.
I'd imagine the worse a car looks, and the more grubby inside with rubbish, the more secure it will be.
Hope you manage to get compensated by insurance.
Total guess, but I would imagine they would wish to see some form of proof if it's something of much value that was taken.

I can assure you nothing was on view. My items were completely out of sight! My cameraman's car was hit too and he lost a few items too.

Also check what may be covered by any home cover you may have but that will get the premiums upped.

Personally I avoid insecure car parks but that relies on me knowing they are secure first. As well as that, any spaces near camera's, always park there. I know, in a perfect world and all that.

...any spaces near camera's, always park there...
Those will doubtless be occupied either by customers who know the spaces covered by CCTV, or by cars of the culprits to prevent those spaces use by their prey.

Hence the perfect world comment. You can but try.

I would like to see all carparks rated for security as a legal requirement. It is not just the metal that needs safety. At hotels, I I will aim for coverage and ask at reception that it is covered.

One of my things from over the years.

Problem can be that the feral rats with no dads will not give a shit if their face is on camera or a bus stop poster, with camera's being great for collecting something that will never be acted on but is never as good as active foot patrol around the parking area's.

OP Might have been clocked by the feral's and their packs over time.

Sorry to hear that, but the biggest crime here is a Car Park charging £55 a day o_O

For £55 per day you would think that that would include their own insurance.

CCTV isn't always that helpful unless its being monitored real time.

Me neighbour fits CCTV and has them all round his house. The little tykes just wear hoodies and a scarf round their face and thats enough to baffle the police.

Insurance will likely want links to items above a certain value. Our house flooded in September and insurance wanted links to anything over £200.

Still sucks regardless

Well this was Mayfair. Not exactly tons of hoodies around lol

The police have already closed the case saying they have no route forward

Not that they use stolen bikes and the like.

Good to see the police have closed the case before probably looking into it.

£55 / day? :eek:

I’ve parked in Geneva for much less!!

Well this was Mayfair. Not exactly tons of hoodies around lol

The police have already closed the case saying they have no route forward

There are plenty of scrotes in hoodies in Mayfair but they tend to be on bicycle as it's the preferred method of escape as they blend into traffic of oxford st. and look like couriers.
Have even seen them in hi-vis as well they really don't care about the cameras.

Parked up for the day on Friday in an NCP car park in mayfair. Came back at the end of the day and front passenger window was popped and items taking. Got a call booked in with the insurance company tomorrow. Are they going to insist on receipts for all lost items?
Having checked google reviews it appears the car park is regularly seeing cars broken into. The only CCTV is on the ground floor where you enter and exit the car park. Staff seemed helpful enough but pretty nonchalant. £55 a day you'd expect the car to be secure and watched!
Which one in Mayfair was it? That is really not good, not when you are paying for security. As I no longer have central London parking I tend to use the one below Hyde Park corner with Marble Arch.

Insurance should be fine, when I was burgled they weren't interested in the receipts. It was more looking at us and our lifestyle and whether the claims makes sense in context.

I use the just park app, looking on that there are much cheaper car parks and probably more secure close by, one I just looked at talks of requiring access codes to enter. When I last parked in London the place I used didn't even look like a car park and required a code to enter.

JustPark
YourParkingSpace

At your parking space they have 8am to 5pm tomorrow for £18 at the Hilton, states cctv, security guards etc. I should think that's a lot more secure than an NCP.

I use the just park app, looking on that there are much cheaper car parks and probably more secure close by, one I just looked at talks of requiring access codes to enter. When I last parked in London the place I used didn't even look like a car park and required a code to enter.

JustPark
YourParkingSpace

Yep. That was the car park JustPark sent me to. Use it all the time and parked in all kinds of weird odd places you wouldn’t expect. I’m parking in Mayfair again today. Will be on street as free today anyway. Doubt my loan Skoda Fabia will be a target though lol

@Hillskill I edited my post as you replied to add this.

At your parking space they have 8am to 5pm tomorrow for £18 at the Hilton, states cctv, security guards etc. I should think that's a lot more secure than an NCP.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom