1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UFW-12 Update for Anyone Interested

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by geeman, Aug 8, 2005.

1. geeman

geeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your note... The short version is this...

I worked all day Friday looking at many examples to verify the results based on several tests I had used in China... This takes time my friend(s)... and I had to be sure of many parameters before releasing any of this product --- especially when they weigh this much...

The bad news is this... The driver is not right at all... The tri-layer cone was properly constructed... but the Spider is WRONG WRONG WRONG...

Under severe test the "system" (Voice Coil / Spider, etc) does not act in a linear manner... It actually severely distorts its shape under HARD TEST conditions... The results are unacceptable to me given the performance I want to deliver with this product.

Of course, I'm just beside myself with anger and unhappiness... I'm PO'd too boot... but I do have a plan...

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I'M GOING TO GIVE YOU THE READER'S DIGEST VERSION NOW... AND I'LL GIVE YOU MORE LATER... I HAVE LOADS TO DO TODAY, AND I PROMISE A MORE DETAILED REPLY THROUGH THE WEEKEND AND ON INTO EARLY WEEK...

My plan is actually quite easy for me to put in place... I've had the newest drivers readied for the ONIX REF SUB for months now... These drivers are the VERY BEST anyone can make... They simply are the finest example of the current State-Of-The-Art in woofer/driver technology that money can buy... These cost more than 2X what the driver cost is in current UFW-12... They also perform like something only dreamed of before...

Late Friday I spoke with the owner of the company that makes this driver (they are in Southern California and they make for THE BEST OF THE BEST out there currently) and we will immediately take delivery on 300 of these Bad Boys to replace the driver that was not made properly... They will begin the assembly process on Monday... All of the parts are already in stock and they only needed to push the start button... They have the high sign from me now... so they will begin in earnest...

These have 200oz dual slugs (100 each), and Voice Coil technology never before seen... They have a custom designed basket (lots of custom milling is done to accept the potential X-Max of this system) and the cone is a very very very special Kevlar / Multi-Layer construction with a Honey Comb interior... They are FAST and TIGHT, and HIT with Authority like nothing else I'm aware of... The ONIX REF Sub will now have to be pulled from our Product Plan (for the time being) as I've decided to pull out all the stops and just give all of you THIS DRIVER instead...

All we have to do is change the gain, limiter and eq on the amps (we know these values already) and begin shipping when the drivers arrive... We are two to three weeks out... MAX...

I WILL SHOW 4 samples of this at the CO GTG for everyone to see and hear...

More data later... including a photo of the driver... I have to keep working now...

This will essentially deliver to all of you the greater part of the "working performance" of our under 2K dollar sub at THIS PRICE --- with R-DES to boot...

I'm done crapping around... this is a Take No Prisoners approach... but frankly, I'm delighted it came to this...

Please be patient with me... and the guys... you will not be let down...

Most Humbly...

mls

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?threadid=7213&perpage=15&pagenumber=55

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It will be interesting to see how this 12" driver compares to the TC Sounds Ultra driver used by SVS. Thanks for the info.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Pictures are starting to leak out of this beast now, see [here for some. That 12" driver definitely looks a bit diminutive! Hopefully some performance reports aren't too far away. :)