UFO's fact or fiction?

Bill Hicks

Ex Member
Reaction score
After this weeks news of the release of government files under the freedom of information act regarding the UK's investigation in UFO's, I would be interested in your views regarding this subject. Do you feel that there is credibility in the UFO phenomena, or is it a load of bunkum?
Please can we keep this on-topic and serious.

Are there UFOs, of course things flying about that cant be identified

Are there aliens buzzing earth, I doubt it very much

The scales of space are mind bending, Imagine standing in a desert as far as the eye could see in every direction, every grain of sand is uniform in every way, I have buried a single black grain of sand somewhere, that's our solar system, now try and find it. What if that desert you stood in was a cube a hundred miles in its 3 axis? Could you find us?

Even if you could find us, travelling the insane distances in a meaningful way would involve using technology that's at our most wildest dreams and would use amounts of energy that are beyond our comprehension, even if we could get to 90% the speed of light (and a ships mass would be insane at this speed) your still talking many years just to get to the next star, hitting a grain of dust would be equivalent to a 1 gigaton nuclear weapon explosion.

So if any species had the technology to find us and travel to us we would be the intellectual equivalent of bacteria to them.

In my nerdy youth i did some rough calcs on star trek, in the time it would take Mr Worf to say "The Klingons have come out of warp captain" and Picard to say "Take us out of warp me Warf" they would have over shot them by 13 billion (or was it million :p) miles at max warp. And thats ignoring how do you actually monitor where some one is when there travelling millions of times faster than light.

On the up side the probability of there being life on another planet is very high since theres so many of them :)

Eric makes a good analagy I think ,although It's not as if any potential life forms seeking others are looking out of their spaceships windows and squinting.

We are constantly sending out various communications , ie radio waves etc, any civilisation capable of creating a vehicle which is capable of travelling through space (this is an achievement of monumental proportions) would presumably be very adept at determining where a signal is coming from and would find us that way.

It's also possible with the old analagy of folding a piece of paper over and shoving a pin through the middle, that huge distances could be travelled in tiny time scales.

This is a thread with great potential.

I'm very open to the fact that other life forms are likely to exist out there, perhaps even more humans , more effects of a big bang and evolution, statistically speaking there's so much out there and quite a considerable pile of half decent data to suggest it's a good possibility.

Eric makes a good analagy I think ,although It's not as if any potential life forms seeking others are looking out of their spaceships windows and squinting.

We are constantly sending out various communications , ie radio waves etc, any civilisation capable of creating a vehicle which is capable of travelling through space (this is an achievement of monumental proportions) would presumably be very adept at determining where a signal is coming from and would find us that way.

It's also possible with the old analagy of folding a piece of paper over and shoving a pin through the middle, that huge distances could be travelled in tiny time scales.

This is a thread with great potential.

I'm very open to the fact that other life forms are likely to exist out there, perhaps even more humans , more effects of a big bang and evolution, statistically speaking there's so much out there and quite a considerable pile of half decent data to suggest it's a good possibility.

Our radio signals have only passed a handful of other grains of sand, folding space is realistically the only way to have meaningful space travel (with our limited knowledge) and your looking at controlling singularity's and using amounts of energies that would impress the largest of stars (and ours is tiny). Then of course you have to make the human body survive all these insane figures and do it in an accurate way and have a way back.

One of biggest changes to modern sciences way of thinking is how tough life actually is, from the organisums that leave on the black smokers deap in our seas to the bacteria that survived on the moon

"Apollo 12 landed just 170 yards from Surveyor 3, a robotic craft that had achieved the first soft lunar landing by an American probe two-and-a-half years before. Parts from the TV camera on Surveyor 3 were brought back by the astronauts, under sterile conditions, and between 50 and 100 living micro-organisms were extracted from the polyurethane foam insulation that covered its interior circuit boards." 2 and a half years in space, no oxygen, freezing temps and massive solar radiation and it lived !

Guys, I have a tiny amount of knowledge on this, but with regard to energy, doesn't Bill Bryson say in his short history of everything that there is insane amounts of energy in every object but we just have no way of knowing how to nurture it, this is at a quantum level I would guess. He also says that atoms (might be protons, I was struggling to keep up at this point) can actually be in two places at once :confused: What I'm getting at is there is so much we don't understand at these levels that there is no way we can say it cannot be done.

Think about the deep hadron collider, maybe when they fire up that baby up for the first time it will enlighten us on things we had only guessed at before. Anyway, it hurts my head thinking about it.

Our radio signals have only passed a handful of other grains of sand, folding space is realistically the only way to have meaningful space travel (with our limited knowledge) and your looking at controlling singularity's and using amounts of energies that would impress the largest of stars (and ours is tiny). Then of course you have to make the human body survive all these insane figures and do it in an accurate way and have a way back.

!

Absolutely a ton of issues , but there's no point entirely basing the discussion on what we percieve as limitations as they may be entirely moot to other potential civilisations.

Radio signals may only be travelling a short distance in our terms but we have no idea what capabilities any other entities may have in terms of picking them up and over what distance.

Did you ever catch the Discovery HD series about building a space craft, was extremely good, showed how humans could survive high speed space travel and so forth, of course extremely theoritical but well thought out.

Of course a traditional human form may not be an issue, so the human body survival issue may not actually be the issue.

Assuming we are talking about UFO's as in alien space craft then for them to be real or possible:

1)Intelligent life needs to be out there.
Intelligent life more advanced than our own has to exist elsewhere in the galaxy. We could be alone, or we could be the most advanced species in our galaxy/ cluster/ universe.

If older more intelligent life is out there - where are the 'von Neumann machines. Assuming we survive and develop, we surely will be sending out such machines in the future. If we are not alone, or not the most advanced, we should be seeing such machines now.

2. FTL
FTL travel really needs to be possible- Theoretically they could get here on a 'generation ship' - but it seems pointless to travel for a 100,000 years just to give some bloke in Kansas something to talk about in the diner - but alien motives may hard to understand.

3. Simulation
Perhaps the possible Simulation we may be living in doesn't handle aliens and we'll have to wait for an upgrade.

I don't think we will ever come in to contact with an alien civilisation because of the economics involved. What value would there be in travelling to another star system unless it was to relocate a civilisation?

Even communication would have no economic value. If we could communicate with a civilisation of the same technological level as ourselves then by the time we learn anything from them we would have probably figured it out ourselves anyway.

If we were more advanced why would we bother to help them advance; there would be nothing in it for us.

About all we can hope for is learning that there are other intelligent civilisations out there.

The fact that we are what we are, does it make it so unbelievable that there are others lifeforms in another universe.

Started thinking about this a bit more and now have a slight headache. It prompts thoughts like, what is the universe....hmmm

The fact that we are what we are, does it make it so unbelievable that there are others lifeforms in another universe.

Started thinking about this a bit more and now have a slight headache. It prompts thoughts like, what is the universe....hmmm

If you want your head to explode thinking about multi-universe's and multi-dimensions, watch and learn.... (be warned its 11 mins long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

UFO, yes, alien UFO, unlikely.

But then again, we may get UFO's from a higher dimension entering ours.

My brain hurts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTens4i32b0

aaaaarh!!! my head hurts :rotfl: :thumbsup:

I wish they'd make contact instead of winding us up.

I wonder if they access the internet ?

If you have the time watch the whole of this documentary.

A rational, sensible documentary about UFO's that raises a lot pf questions.

Last edited:
will watch it when I get home...as for my view..?

I think UFO's do exist - but they're actually humans who come back from the future hence we not getting to see them etc, and they've actually helped past civilisations to get going...

will watch it when I get home...as for my view..?

I think UFO's do exist - but they're actually humans who come back from the future hence we not getting to see them etc, and they've actually helped past civilisations to get going...

Why would they help and in what way?

Would they have not been better killing Adolf Hitler? OR are the people from the future sympathisers....

Was that sig deliberate? :laugh:

Attachments

• Signiture.JPG
    Signiture.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 127
Unidentified Flying Objects?

Could be anything.

If intelligent extraterrestrials did exist they would stay well clear of Earth. There is probably a big notice out is space saying "WARNING, KEEP CLEAR: This planet is heavily infested with a nasty killer life form".

:)

Why would they help and in what way?

Would they have not been better killing Adolf Hitler? OR are the people from the future sympathisers....

well, to build the pyramids for example...what's your theory on how they're built?

well, who else can it be..? :)

who's to say it's not humans from say a million years from the future? sounds more feasible than a load of aliens flying to see us... :)

Unidentified Flying Objects?

Could be anything.

If intelligent extraterrestrials did exist they would stay well clear of Earth. There is probably a big notice out is space saying "WARNING, KEEP CLEAR: This planet is heavily infested with a nasty killer life form".

:)

Bit like If you lived in the country would you visit a filthy crime ridden estate full of psychotic idiots intent on killing themselves, unless you really had to? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom