1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ufo

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by eros, Jul 25, 2002.

1. eros

eros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got the series 1 and 2 boxsets? If so, whats the pic/sound quality like?

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Pretty good remastered picture, mono (but clear) sound

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought both from play last month. The quality is very good.

but volume one is going back :eek:

Disk 4 of vol1 keeps freezing on the first and third episode on two different players. I've talked to them this week and will be sending it back on Saturday. I've been on holiday and also there is nealry 11 hours of footage so its taken a while to watch and it took me beyond the 14 day return policy. I haven't finished vol 2 yet.

The only thing I dont like is the menu.

the front menu is very good, animated, with the UFO theme tune - a good job.

Once you select an episode it shows 4 (!) Interceptor launch bays
    which launch 3 interceptors and fly off the screen. Each of these bays then displays an animated chapter stop for you to select - that mean only 4 chapter stops.

From here there are left and right cursors which will select the next/previous episode.

Reading about it sounds very swish. But after the third or fourth select it becomes tiresome and slow.

There are little extras. lots of stills and bios of the characters - quite good. There is one commentary by Gerry Andersone on the pilot episode which is entertaining but thats it on all the eight disks. You get some postcards (which I haven't opened) and a little booklet in each giving a bit of background to production.

still worth a buy though - i was watching them on Bravo before I bought the set so I knew I wanted them rather than remembering them from the seventies.

Now waiting for my friend to lend me the Space 1999 discs to see if I want them too
    :)

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of player are you using? I ask because the only discs I have had this sort of problem with on my Pioneer 525 (they play fine on my PC) are ones from Carlton in the 'Thunderbirds' and 'Space 1999' collections. Can't remember the exact episodes, times etc, but it does seem odd that it should only happen with these Carlton discs. When I sent my Thunderbirds discs back to Carlton, they as much admitted that they hadn't been authored as well as they could have been. Maybe they have not improved much:rolleyes:

5. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't watched them yet so I don't know if I have the freezing problem. The picture quality on bits which I have looked at is suprb if a little overenhanced in color in places. On a par with space 1999 year 2 and much better than s99 year 1.
    Discs 3 and 4 wouldn't play on my old proline 1000 but would on Sony dvpns300. They replaced disc 3 which apparently won't play on some other players. They admited a fault during production but the people who do the mastering say there is nothing wrong with disc 4 but they will replace ones which don't play as a courtesy. These problems never seem to arise with r1 discs.

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a pioneer too!

Its an american imported Pioneer DV606D - a few years old now but got component out and (obviously) happily plays my RCE discs. Its remote region-free.

I also have a region 2 (but chipped) Sony Cx850 autochanger. That had problems but less so probably because its a new player.

I did have problems with both machines on Rambo Region 1 box set. A similar thing. A guy at work checked that one on hs chipped Tosh SD210 and had the same problem.

So I know the dv606 is not that bad if other players have the same problem.

That one of the reasons I want to borrow my friends Space 1999 discs to see if other Carlton discs have a prob on my players.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think you may have trouble with 'The Last Sunset' ep of Space: 1999. :( My 525 locks up about three quarters in.

Maybe it's time to do something Terminal to the old 525 (like remove the fuse from the plug and say,'look dear, it's broken. We'll need a new DVD player instead of that new microwave/dress/shoes' - delete as applicable):D

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want a new component/pal progressive beastie but I'm currently hankering after an in-car MP3 jukebox so that will get my spondoolies first