UE65KS9000 Problems-Please Help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Lloyd80s, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Lloyd80s

Lloyd80s
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

After reading TV reviews for weeks I eventually purchased the Samsung UE65KS9000 last week, I've had it just over a week now. After setting it up I went on the AVforums site to get the best picture settings for the TV and copied them. The only thing I didn't like was that the settings seemed to be a bit too dark so I kept them as recommended but put the backlight up to 8 or 9.

While watching daredevil on netflix, streaming 4k HDR I find that the picture during light or outdoor scenes is fantastic, very clear, full of detail and has very bright colours. The problem appears when it switches to a dark scene (seems most of daredevil is shot in low light), the pictures appears grainy in all low light scenes. In light scenes you can make out every detail in someones face and the TV seems like it was worth the money, when we go into dark scenes I may as well have my old 1080p tv as there is no gain in picture detail or clarity at all. When I say grain, I mean instead of being a clear picture when showing a face, the picture in the dark areas will seem to show more pixels and the blend of one colour to another seeming less smooth and having clear segregation between the colour shades. In bright scenes you can't see this at all.

Does anyone know of any picture settings that I could try to reduce the amount of grain in the picture and make the separation of shades less prominent during dark scenes?

Also, I've watch shows in HDR and non HDR and there doesn't seem to be any difference in brightness/darkness of the images. I know that in the TV settings there is an HDR+ mode but I was under the impression this was a "fake" HDR effect that you could apply to all settings. I have this turned off because I thought when a true HDR source was played through the TV is would automatically show it with a message "HRD input detected" or something along those lines, my TV doesn't ever seem to show what resolution it is showing or if it's in HDR mode, doesn't anyone know how to check this?

Sorry for lots of questions, I have checked to see it these thing have been asked before but can't find answers. It's just I saved for a long time to buy this TV and although I get glimpses of brilliant picture I'm just a bit gutted that everything with dark scenes doesn't look any better than cheap tvs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Lloyd80s

Lloyd80s
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thanks.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    That sounds like what would normally be called banding.

4. Lloyd80s

Lloyd80s
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

And is banding something one would normally expect to find on a TV of this type?

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    It's one of those artefacts that shows up in almost every TV to a greater or lesser extent.

It can also be present in video content, so it may just be a better TV revealing flaws in the picture your previous TV was hiding. Ideally you want to try it with high quality content rather than netflix streams so you can confirm the issue is with the TV.

6. garryboy

garryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Try one of standard picture modes i.e. Dynamic and see if the issue is still present.