UE50MU6120KXXU - Possible Fault?

deans6571

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi to all!

So after much deliberation and many posts on here, bought myself the 50"MU6120 from Amazon.

Spent all day yesterday setting it all up (had to move 2 further TVs around the house!).

I'm very happy with the TV (had the Samsung UE40H5000AK previously) - the smart features are awesome, the fact that the enclosed Samsung Smart remote also controls my Virgin Media V6 box with no prior configuration is equally awesome, the remote also controls my Xbox One and the icing on the cake - 4K video streamed via the TV's in built YouTube app look absolutely stunning on the screen. :cool:

Granted, SD content does look slightly worse on a screen this size (it's watchable but quite fuzzy at the same time!) but HD content looks great (I'm really not sure if there is any upscaling going on - I have my Virgin Media V6 box 'Video Output Settings' set to 2160p and 2160p Passthrough so not sure if these are the best settings or whether I can set better settings - anyone able to clarify?)

One thing I have noticed however, and I'm unsure if this is a screen fault or if it can even be rectified (I have already updated the firmware of the TV), is this - in the centre of the screen and about 4 to 5 inches from the bottom of the screen, there is a small cluster of red haze?! Its about the size of a 2 pence piece and can only be seen when there is dark scene in the program.

There is some additional red haze, over to the right side of the screen, at about the same height from the bottom, again, about the size of a 2 pence piece.

Some pics here (it's hard to actually capture it on camera as the camera tends to make the haze disappear but it is noticeable when watching a dark scene in a program. I have circled the areas, in blue):

14v5xud.jpg

2znn3nk.jpg

2q8og08.jpg

rvbpd5.jpg

2s7uphy.jpg

I've purposely got a black screen up to try and show the red haze....

It's weird because the haze only appears in these specific areas however, it appears on all 3 HDMI inputs (I have my Virgin Media V6, an Xbox One and a PS Pro) and it also appears when watching content via the TV's in built apps!?:confused:

I have contacted Samsung Support already to see what they say but it's gonna be a big headache boxing it all back up (yes, I kept the original packaging) as I'll be left without a TV (previous TV is now in son's room!).

Initially, I never even noticed it until the other half said, "......what's that red spot in the middle"!!!

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this...?

Hi to all!

So after much deliberation and many posts on here, bought myself the 50"MU6120 from Amazon.

Spent all day yesterday setting it all up (had to move 2 further TVs around the house!).

I'm very happy with the TV (had the Samsung UE40H5000AK previously) - the smart features are awesome, the fact that the enclosed Samsung Smart remote also controls my Virgin Media V6 box with no prior configuration is equally awesome, the remote also controls my Xbox One and the icing on the cake - 4K video streamed via the TV's in built YouTube app look absolutely stunning on the screen. :cool:

Granted, SD content does look slightly worse on a screen this size (it's watchable but quite fuzzy at the same time!) but HD content looks great (I'm really not sure if there is any upscaling going on - I have my Virgin Media V6 box 'Video Output Settings' set to 2160p and 2160p Passthrough so not sure if these are the best settings or whether I can set better settings - anyone able to clarify?)

One thing I have noticed however, and I'm unsure if this is a screen fault or if it can even be rectified (I have already updated the firmware of the TV), is this - in the centre of the screen and about 4 to 5 inches from the bottom of the screen, there is a small cluster of red haze?! Its about the size of a 2 pence piece and can only be seen when there is dark scene in the program.

There is some additional red haze, over to the right side of the screen, at about the same height from the bottom, again, about the size of a 2 pence piece.

Some pics here (it's hard to actually capture it on camera as the camera tends to make the haze disappear but it is noticeable when watching a dark scene in a program. I have circled the areas, in blue):

14v5xud.jpg

2znn3nk.jpg

2q8og08.jpg

rvbpd5.jpg

2s7uphy.jpg

I've purposely got a black screen up to try and show the red haze....

It's weird because the haze only appears in these specific areas however, it appears on all 3 HDMI inputs (I have my Virgin Media V6, an Xbox One and a PS Pro) and it also appears when watching content via the TV's in built apps!?:confused:

I have contacted Samsung Support already to see what they say but it's gonna be a big headache boxing it all back up (yes, I kept the original packaging) as I'll be left without a TV (previous TV is now in son's room!).

Initially, I never even noticed it until the other half said, "......what's that red spot in the middle"!!!

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this...?

I'd say there's an issue within the panel itself and it should not have passed quality control or might have got damaged within transit.

It's a shame as they are a nice tv for the price.

You should contact the retailer(Amazon) and send it back asap, as if you deal with Samsung direct and that doesn't go correctly then Amazon won't help any longer.

You are covered by distance selling regulations for 14 days I think and you also have within EU law 2 years with the retailer:

Guarantees: repairs, replacements, refunds

If Amazon play hardball then quote this and they should accept your return without any issues.

If you paid by credit card you are also covered and they can intervene and start the charge-back process.

I'd say there's an issue within the panel itself and it should not have passed quality control or might have got damaged within transit.

It's a shame as they are a nice tv for the price.

You should contact the retailer(Amazon) and send it back asap, as if you deal with Samsung direct and that doesn't go correctly then Amazon won't help any longer.

You are covered by distance selling regulations for 14 days I think and you also have within EU law 2 years with the retailer:

Guarantees: repairs, replacements, refunds

If Amazon play hardball then quote this and they should accept your return without any issues.

If you paid by credit card you are also covered and they can intervene and start the charge-back process.

...thanks for the above - appreciated.

So am I better off going through Amazon or Samsung?

If I'm honest, I don't really want a refund, I'd like it to be replaced with another unit - if I go through Amazon, I'm gonna have to send it back,wait for a refund then buy another unit. Do you know if they'll just replace it instead?

UPDATE - Just been in touch with the Seller on Amazon (sent the above pics as well) and they also confirmed that it looks like there is an issue with the panel and have offered to simply just replace the TV unit with a new one (like for like).

They're gonna send a new unit, with a courier this weekend - all I have to do is just remove the stand from the TV and swap it with the courier.

That's what i call great Customer Services.
:thumbsup::clap:

Last edited:
Yeah its definitely a panel fault. You need a replacement.

Yes that is fantastic customer service, great!

Glad you finally made the decision and like the TV otherwise, good luck with your new model!

@deans6571

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your set mate but glad you're getting it sorted.

I'm also in the market for a new tv and the one you have is in my list. I keep reading that some retailers don't supply this with the smart remote but yours came with it from Amazon is that right? Generally how are you getting on with it apart from the fault is the pq otherwise decent enough for you? Also does yours have Bluetooth do you know?

Sorry for all the questions mate and fingers crossed you get a decent new panel

Thanks

Saf

@deans6571

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your set mate but glad you're getting it sorted.

I'm also in the market for a new tv and the one you have is in my list. I keep reading that some retailers don't supply this with the smart remote but yours came with it from Amazon is that right? Generally how are you getting on with it apart from the fault is the pq otherwise decent enough for you? Also does yours have Bluetooth do you know?

Sorry for all the questions mate and fingers crossed you get a decent new panel

Thanks

Saf

Hi

Yea, the exact model number I got from Amazon was this: Samsung UE50MU6120KXXU UHD TV and yea, mine came with a Smart remote.

It's weird because I thought it would also come with a standard Samsung remote as well but int only came with the Smart remote. The Smart remote is fantastic as, as soon as you turn the tv on and plug in all your HDMI sources, the remote configures itself to control all the compatible sources (so mine can control my Virgin Media V6 box and Xbox One, without the need for further configuration).

As for the TV itself, initially, it looks massive (I only had a 42" Samsung before) but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

It's a stunning TV - I watched some 4K content, streamed via the TV's in built YouTube app and it was absolutely stunning picture quality.

I have also tried using the various settings on my V6 (adjusting the Video Output settings, firstly to '1080i and 2160 Passthrough' and then to '2160 and 2160 Passthrough' but if I am 100% honest, both settings give exactly the same picture quality. This is fine as, how I understand it, the differences between 2160 and 1080i on a screen this size are very minimal at best (this is an interesting article on this: 4k vs 1080p and upscaling: Is UHD worth the upgrade? ).

The only slight negative I have is that if you sit at a slight angle towards the screen (so not 100% head on), the colours are not as vibrant as watching from head on but again, I knew this before I ordered it and wasn't a deal breaker (I watch TV on it from a slight angle but game on it, head on).

Love all the Smart features of it too and the sound isn't too bad either. I don't think this model has Bluetooth as I don't recall seeing the option anywhere in the menus, but all in all, a great TV for the price (it was ÂŁ466 when I purchased it but it seems this is constantly going up and down!!).

:)

Last edited:
Usually the TV is best handling the upscaling, but if you can let the V6 box upscale to UHD then at least everything you watch will take only one step to upscale rather than two.

Its a dillema for those who like to leave scaling to the display.

1. You output 1080i and everything HD gets output natively, but anything SD takes two steps, first to 1080i and then to 2160p by the TV.
  2. You output 2160p and everything gets upscaled to 2160p by the box.
There is a lot of talk about upscaling on these forums and in general, "which is the best upscaler?", "which TV has the better upscaling processor".

In my experience there's not a noticeable difference in upscaling at all, so if you are happy with the way the box deals with it, then great.

Nice to hear about the remote!

@safcalibur I've just come across this thread on here: Samsung 50mu6120 owners Thread

...which suggests that the 50MU6120 does indeed have bluetooth but its buried within the 'engineers settings' if you're brave enough!

thank pal, yes I saw that as well, but some people seem to say even when they turn it on it doesnt recognise any BT devices and that some of these TV's were shipped without the BT module so whilst you may find it in the settings, it wont guarantee that BT will work. In essence it seems like its a bit of a lottery haha!!

The MU6120 was the first set I properly considered when I started looking at a new TV and since then i've moved onto the panasonic ex700, the sony xe70x series, the mid range samsung mu7000 and now back to wanting to shoot myself in the head!! as @Dodgexander can testify I changed my mind more times than I care to remember and have chewed his virtual ear off trying to make a decision. Dodge mate, your advice has been invaluable :)

I'm seriously considering buying the 50mu6120 through either RS or JL online and then use the 14 days return period to see if I get on with it.

I didnt even think things through as much when I asked my wife to marry me!!

cheers for your messages though mate and good to know you are happy with your one (barring the haze issue)

Saf

now back to wanting to shoot myself in the head!!

I've already looked at this tv along with all the others at 50", and they've got the MU6120 on sale over here as well.

That's the same I'm in at the moment, still 100% undecided, won't part with any cash until confident I've made the right choice.

It does appear that most budget - mid range tv's from LG, Sony, Phillips and Panasonic will be S-IPS models in 2018 with or without nano cell, RGBW and RGB depending on which model from the info I've been hearing over on the LCD Matrices thread.

The only thing I would say is get a Samsung with the TM1750A switch remote control as you can buy the numeric standard TM1240A remote easier online separately than the other way around.

I've already looked at this tv along with all the others at 50", and they've got the MU6120 on sale over here as well.

That's the same I'm in at the moment, still 100% undecided, won't part with any cash until confident I've made the right choice.

It does appear that most budget - mid range tv's from LG, Sony, Phillips and Panasonic will be S-IPS models in 2018 with or without nano cell, RGBW and RGB depending on which model from the info I've been hearing over on the LCD Matrices thread.

The only thing I would say is get a Samsung with the TM1750A switch remote control as you can buy the numeric standard TM1240A remote easier online separately than the other way around.

Thanks for that mate :) it's a right PITA all this tv shopping isn't it lol but on the other hand it's a privileged position to be in so I'm grateful in that sense.

What have you got as possible options for you mate if you don't mind me asking? Appreciate the tip about the remote. If, for example I ordered the mu6120 and it came with the smart remote which worked would that mean Bluetooth is functioning properly because as far as I understand it the smart remote only works through Bluetooth. I know it's not a major thing in the grand scheme of things but since this set has no headphone jack and no official Bluetooth capability it rules most headsets out which is a shame as I like to use mine for late night viewing

Thanks

Last edited:
What have you got as possible options for you mate if you don't mind me asking?

It took me two years of researching and price decreases on my last tv in 2007 so I will wait if I have to unless I'm forced to.

The biggest problem I've got is a wide living space, one sofa head on and another to the side.

***EDIT***

Having had another look today, it will most likely be IPS because of the viewing angle issues, so am looking at the LG 55" UJ750V again as it's on offer at the moment or will look at the 2018 models coming, still undecided.

I might keep waiting as my Sharp for all it's flaws is still solid and reliable and does what I need it to do with the content available.

The LG SK850 or 900 does look very good for 2018 as it's IPS with FALD, so the contrast ratio and blacks would be around the same level as the XE70 but it would be better for the viewing angles from the side, but the price will be too much at launch so Black Friday or this time next year.

Last edited:
You guys do realise the ridiculous viewing distance recommendations for UHD content right? Having upgraded from a 42" 1080p Plasma to a 65" UHD LCD I wouldn't be in such a rush.

Its often made to seem like something new is going to be a fantastic upgrade in all areas, not really always as it seems.

Of course it may differ from an older TV, but there are things the old from even then do better than the new, displaying anything with a poor quality source for example.

I sent my 65" LCD back for repair and back to using the old Plasma and I was shocked when I saw how much better HD TV looked on it compared, in all honesty if I could get a refund and go back to using it I probably would.

But of course its very subjective and relative to what you are used too, there are some people who are happy "upgrading" every year.

Just don't be in such a rush if you have something right now and don't be afraid of making the wrong decision so much if you are, if you buy from somewhere reputable you shouldn't have trouble returning whatever choice you make if it happens to be wrong.

You guys do realise the ridiculous viewing distance recommendations for UHD content right? Having upgraded from a 42" 1080p Plasma to a 65" UHD LCD I wouldn't be in such a rush.

Its often made to seem like something new is going to be a fantastic upgrade in all areas, not really always as it seems.

Of course it may differ from an older TV, but there are things the old from even then do better than the new, displaying anything with a poor quality source for example.

I sent my 65" LCD back for repair and back to using the old Plasma and I was shocked when I saw how much better HD TV looked on it compared, in all honesty if I could get a refund and go back to using it I probably would.

But of course its very subjective and relative to what you are used too, there are some people who are happy "upgrading" every year.

Just don't be in such a rush if you have something right now and don't be afraid of making the wrong decision so much if you are, if you buy from somewhere reputable you shouldn't have trouble returning whatever choice you make if it happens to be wrong.

Brilliant advice as always mate, thank you. After having read all of that what would your thoughts be on the 58ex700 for ÂŁ569? It's the offer Hughes are doing I'm gonna try and get RS or JL to price match.

Or would you go for the 55xe7073 for ÂŁ599 from RS? Just thinking value for money here and over quality of the panels with motion etc

Cheers

Saf

We've also got the 50" MU6120 and really like it - gutted I didn't get a smart remote with it though.

Brilliant advice as always mate, thank you. After having read all of that what would your thoughts be on the 58ex700 for ÂŁ569? It's the offer Hughes are doing I'm gonna try and get RS or JL to price match.

Or would you go for the 55xe7073 for ÂŁ599 from RS? Just thinking value for money here and over quality of the panels with motion etc

Cheers

Saf
The Panasonic is technically the better TV and at that price it has seen a big price drop so if it we're me I would get that model.

We've also got the 50" MU6120 and really like it - gutted I didn't get a smart remote with it though.

...thats weird?! Why would one unit come with a Smart remote and one unit may come without? That makes no sense?!

Can I ask what TV Settings your are using?

I have found that the default 'Film Mode' pretty much gives the same settings as advised on the 'Picture Perfect' guide on these forums (our TV is in our living room and when we watch TV in the evening, the room is dimly lit so 'Film Mode' gives comfortable viewing. The other modes are way too bright!)

A few weird things I have discovered:

1. Turning on the function 'LED Motion Plus' seems to make the screen pulsate? I don't have this feature turned on but did turn it on to see what it does - the screen effect was horrible!!!

2. I decided to try out the HDR functions of this TV so went into Netflix (via the TV's in built app) and searched for 'HDR', which brings up loads of content. I opted to watch the short film, 'Meridian (its only 11 mins long!). My TV then proceeded to change some of the settings automatically (screen went brighter, contrast changed, etc) and have to say, the picture looked extremely good in the film - the picture was crystal clear, almost like watching something 'live'! After the film had finished and I exited Netflix, the TV then reverted back to the default settings for 'Film Mode' so wondered if this behavior was normal...?!

Agreed!

If I decide to buy it will be ordered online and I will have 32 days to return it.

Just thinking value for money here and over quality of the panels with motion etc

The Panasonic uses Innolux and the Sony uses Samsung at 55", which would explain the poor viewing angles, similar to the video I've just posted on the XF90 thread, the picture will wash out no more than 20 degrees off centre, AUO were being used on the earlier models I believe which would explain the great uniformity of @DevonMike tv.

Both will be the same for motion, there's not much between the sets.

If I had the choice I would go for the Panasonic as it is technically better than the Sony.

Normally it isn't shipped with the smart control, this model I believe is a Dixons International exclusive, but some retailers do include it.

Personally speaking,I had two of the mentioned Panasonic sets,both had awful clouding and banding,although the hdr was possibly better,but in other aspects the Sony beats it hands down for uniformity,however it is a lottery...good luck.

1. Turning on the function 'LED Motion Plus' seems to make the screen pulsate? I don't have this feature turned on but did turn it on to see what it does - the screen effect was horrible!!!
That is probably because its enabling clear motion and flashing the backlight fast to insert frames, some people are more sensitive to the flicker than others but it does give your eyes the illusion motion is smoother so you may like to have it enabled with sport.

PWM or Pulse Width Modulation is not great on this set, and the Innolux 50" 60hz panel is known for motion issues, I've tested this model and know this very well.

It appears along with all the other models that use the same panel like the EX700, an overdrive circuit is used with the VA panel and a trail is seen with motion, some people have returned the tv because they cannot get used to the motion, some people are not effected.

When that setting is enabled it does produce flicker, the rtings.com review of the MU6300:

Quote from rtings.com:

'The MU6300 uses PWM at 120Hz to dim the backlight, starting at 12/20 backlight setting. Lowering the setting from 12/20 shortens the duty cycle, while amplitude remains constant. PWM causes a duplicated trail following moving objects in 60Hz content so motion isn't as smooth as TVs without a flickering backlight. It is possible to reduce the flicker frequency to 60Hz by settings 'Auto Motion Plus' to 'Custom' and activating 'LED Clear Motion'. This helps to clear up fast moving content if you don't mind flicker.'

There is a thread about the setting, it's old but still relevant:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2287714-motion-plus-clear-vs-off.html

Panasonic use red instead of black frames, likely so they try and mask the black trails more with innolux panels.

I really like the BFI on my Panasonic and when I tried it on my sisters boyfriends 49KU6470 it looked good too, although obviously on a 120hz panel and higher end TV the backlight can flash faster to reduce flicker even more.

Ok, so had my replacement MU6120 delivered today.

If I’m honest, I’m not overly satisfied with this one either.....:confused:

Firstly, it was just the TV unit which was replaced (so kept the original stand and Smart Remote - this was fine and was previously agreed) however, now, my Smart Remote fails to pair with the new TV no matter how many times I reset the TV and the Remote. Sodding TYPICAL :mad:

But, even more important than that, I actually think that the replacement unit, ALSO has a panel defect. There is no red haze this time, however, on the far left hand side, right in the middle, there is some kind of small visible line on the inner display and is causing some kind of distortion effect radiating from the line.

Take a look at these pics and see what you think. Should I return this for a third unit - is the panel damaged or does it have a defect?

352FBB1B-586F-4FCB-BC50-69F24F98E492.jpeg
93830937-BAAB-480D-A5AE-FEB16AA69C8D.jpeg
442A1C40-809F-4465-B3AF-941A629AD19A.jpeg
C161B5F0-133F-4BDE-B8A1-D78A88AC8BEC.jpeg
132290B3-4BF8-4DCD-B12C-255EF07A5816.jpeg
A0239B42-CCA1-472B-BAB1-169D5F20B672.jpeg
A93D0700-5EC2-4183-B4DD-06AC0CE33C13.jpeg
10EB34EA-C15F-452B-8B3D-E5E077B9BA91.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back