UE49KS7000 - NAS movies and Media

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Dee82, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Dee82

Dee82
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, ive ran in to a small stumbling block I wasn't expecting when getting this fantastic TV and that's Network Attached storage.

For the last 10 years or so my devices have all been happy to connect up to my NAS, but this year I decided my TV needed an upgrade, after reading about some of the limitations of 4K just now and the movie industry moving mountains to prevent UHD playback though a PC I figured I could work around almost all the issues and after spending most of the day settings it up I almost got there, right up until I wanted to access media on my NAS, or any other device for that matter that isn't directly connected via USB to the TV.

I have found a work around with the "Samsung Smart Viewer" program which at least allows me to play the media but damn, its a long way for a short cut and its hammering my router like you wouldn't believe.

In short my NAS is sending a movie via a wire to my router which is then passing it over to a laptop wirelessly which then immediately retransmits and possibly transcodes it back to my router which then retransmits it back to the TV.

Does anyone have a better way in which the TV can directly hook up to a NAS over the network and pull what it needs with some kinda media browser on the TV?

any suggestions would be fantastic,

D

2. Dee82

Dee82
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, DLNA seems to be a partial solution in terms of the tv pulling the content direct, it detect any DLNA server on the network and allows you to stream from it, content still needs to run through another computer though which isn't ideal and kinda defeats the point of NAS but its better than nothing, the search continues for a proper solution...

3. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    What nas are u using? I am guessing atm files are shared from it via smb or some other similar protocol (nfs etc) in which case your tv won't be able to see the media.

That being said. Most NAS devices released in the last 5 years or so usually have the option to turn on dlna so a pc shouldn't be needed, even the most basic Nas such as wd mybook's etc offer dlna via a twonky server

Cheers

4. Dee82

Dee82
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replying, yeah your spot on, the NAS doesn't have DNLA built in and is fairly old. id rather not change it tho. Do you know if DNLA transcodes a signal? ive been getting a lot of lipsync issues from when streaming via DNLA on the TV. which suggests it might be the TV rather then the source. The material is certainly ok.

I decided to just connect up the old media centre to resolve the issue but ive ran in to a small bump on that one as well, my computer doesn't detect the TV as being 4k, it sees the maximum resolution as only 1080p. the GPU is 4k capable but for the life of me I cant get it to use anything more than HD, don't get me wrong it displays the 1080p content fine, just not at 4k

5. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Hi mate, it is possible for dlna to transcode but it usually requires the setup of profiles. It shouldn't be doing so in your case. Not sure with regards to lip sync I usually just offset the audio tv side when that happens to me.

You say your old media centre? But what is the specs? You either need a fairly powerful cpu e.g. i5 or u need a gpu capable of hardware decoding such as a 950gtx, I think skylakes built in gpu. Can decode hevc and high bitrate h264 but that isn't exactly old.

Tbh there is very little 4k content from a media centre point of view that's why I ditched mine. Netflix amazon youtube 4k doesn't work (although that may change with kaby lake) unless you use a fury there is no way of backing up ultra hd bluray content either and what does get copied is missing the hd soundtrack and also the all important hdr. The quality drop is not worth it

That said I do have an idea of something you can try. I assuming your media centre is running a version of Windows here, but you could maybe use that as a media server? Check out www.plex.tv u can run plex server from your media centre and just leave that running, have that point to your movies on the nas, plex will use a scraper to find all the metadata and artwork for your movies. You can then install the plex app from the Samsung store. Your tv is fairly capable so transcoding will be minimal so the server could be run on the most basic of hardware. There is also an option in plex to set it as a dlna server aswell

Cheers

6. Dee82

Dee82
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks mate, yeah the case is old, but the GPU is a RX460 which is more than suffice for 4K video, the CPU is getting a little long in the tooth for heavy grunt work and is a low powered A6 APU. Since virtually all the video work is offloaded to the GPU my CPU usage is tiny, between 1-5% tops so I'm not too bothered about that.

The Lip sync cant be fixed with offsetting the audio, I tried that, the issue seems to get compounded over time, gradually getting worse, since the audio and video is absolutely fine on the PC, it can only be the TV or the delivery method that is introducing the delay, if I pause the video then play it again its fine for a short time. If I connect up the computer to the TV and play it back that way, its fine, it only seems to be via DNLA it goes wonky.

I'm starting to think its probably easier to just use the media centre for media content other than what can be streamed off the internet. its a bit of a pain as I was hoping to simplify things a little and the fact that nobody has a clue what is going on with PC 4K bluray drives just now I was hoping to retire the Media centre and just use the TV / k8500 bluray player.

Apparently BDXL players for a PC will physically do the job but the software guys are being held back, probably something to do with content protection which as I understand it, is why Amazon / Netflix are prevented from doing 4k on PCs as well.

If the TV cant pull it directly via my NAS setup then it looks like ill need my Media centre and the K8500 player to get the full works :(

7. chopples

chopples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Its a pain everything should just work but never does. Try plex though mate u can run the server from your media centre lob it in a cupboard and forget about it u should then have access to all content via the tv. Also it may solve lip sync issues. Ui looks very nice aswell which is a plus. If the cpu has a built in gpu you could probably ditch the 460 as it would be overkill and save a bit on the elecy lol

I think you will be waiting a while for 4k bluray on pc and even if it does come out I can see there being additional requirements to play the content (like netflix which will need kabylake) they are doing everything possible to not make the same mistakes re security as when bluray was first released

Best of luck

Cheers

8. Dee82

Dee82
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ill give that Plex a shot, I have a feeling I can tie it in to Media portal which is the media centres main job dishing out TV to the whole house, if it can do a good job on the TV then happy days, as you say, I can hide it away again.

The RX 460 was for HDMI 2, the motherboards built in Display port will pump out 4k
    @ 60Hz but converting that to HDMI 2 without losing anything is currently impossible, all the adaptors mess about with bit depth etc and the cost of the adaptor isn't much less than a new card anyway, the HDMI port is only 1.2 meaning 4k at 30 Hz.

the Bluray folk have really messed up the whole thing IMO, the tighter they squeeze to clamp down on piracy the worse it gets, from what I heard 4K on disk is almost dead in the water and Netflix etc can produce a picture that virtually no one can tell the difference for much less cost. Just seems that they are just hurting themselves more than anything, computers could have been doing 4k years ago were it not for these hurdles.

Still, I'm well chuffed with the quality of this TV, knocks socks off my old Samsung TV, even when upscaling.