UE40JU6000 Picture issue

radionotme

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just submitted an issue to Samsung Technical support, but wondering if anyone here has any ideas or has come across anything similar.

Shortly after receiving the TV, I noticed a fault with the screen, in that the tone of the image would flick, similar to the way in which the user can manually switch colour tone from warm to cool. It's also accompanied by a flickering in the top 20% of the screen

This happens automatically, and is not triggered by any specific circumstance that I can determine. It is also not constant. It tends to happen after the TV has been on for a while, about an hour or so. The issue will then come and go while watching, sometimes happening several times in a minute, and then nothing for ten minutes or more. It does not seem to be related to the picture being shown, as if it happens and I then rewind and replay the same sequence, the issue will not always reoccur.

I've attached a link to a video that shows this happening during a scene on the BBC iPlayer app built into the TV. It is particularly prevalent at the 26 second mark, where you can see both a flickering in the top 20% of the screen area, and the colour tone shifts.
20151223035428.mp4
Note, the image contrast appears to change in the video, everytime the camera angle does, but that's just the phone compensating for the change in light level. Look for changes in colour when the camera angle doesn't change.

I have demonstrated this happening with both the TV using built in apps, i.e. Netflix and iPlayer. I have seen it using my Sky+Box and using my Xbox One both with games and as a Blu Ray player.

I have switched Dynamic Contrast off, and Game mode on, as this is supposed to stop the TV from trying to do processing on the picture, but the issue remains.

Hi there

Apologies for not picking this one up sooner, I wanted to run it past one of our engineers before getting back to you. From the details you have provided they are pretty confident it is a fault with the TV. Obviously they can't be completely sure, not without seeing it, but did say it should be looked at by one of our authorised support centres.

It looks like you may already be in touch with one of my colleagues? Has there been any update from their side?

L.

Thanks, I was literally on the phone again as your reply came through, and after going through all the motions of switching it on/off, changing picture settings, and finally a factory reset, support have agreed to send out an engineer this Friday.

Hi... I have a question

It's maybe Eco sensor switch on or some intelligent smart led switched on? Updated firmware too?

I hope you can find a solution for that issue...

Let me know

Hi,
No, I'd tried all the settings, and switched everything off that I could, including Eco settings.
Finally today, I've had both main boards in the TV replaced, and so far the picture looks great.

Unfortunately, it's not quite perfect yet, as Netflix has decided not to work! I get an error saying that Netflix isn't supported on this device, despite me having used Netflix on it for the past few weeks. There's no update available for the app, and I've tried resetting the smart hub, powering down the tv and router, restarting the Netflix app manually, but nothing.
It happens on any selection, from Firefly to U rated cartoons, all of which happily work if I use my iPad. Netflix support went through all of this, and ran out of ideas.

Have you update at the last firmware version? Netflix and other apps come-out with last firmwares updates... But usually with a Smart Hub reset should be enough,...

You can try anyways a "Factory Reset" but you will lose all your settings. In this way it will be like a new TV out of the box...

How to do a factory reset:-

1) Put the TV into standby
2) Using the standard remote Press Info Menu Mute Power in quick succession
3) The TV will start up in Service mode.
4) Select OPTION and then FACTORY RESET
5) The TV will switch off
6) Turn the TV back on (it may be slow to start)

You'll now have to set your TV up again.

I've tried checking for software updates, I don't think the menu has a firmware update option?
Factory reset is my next option, and I'll probably try that tomorrow. Thanks for the steps.

The only option you can find on menu from the update firmware is under Support/Software Update you can choose Update now and switch on/off the Auto Update

You can also check from www.samsung.com the last firmware version.

No update available, and factory reset didn't work. Really frustrating!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom