UE Super Fi 5 pros cabling turned partially green :S

jmhduck

Hi Guys,

A rather strange thing happened recently. I suddently noticed that the cabling on my UE IEMs have got a green tinge on the bit that goes around my ears. It's inside the cable not on the outside.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this might've happened?

Cheers jmhduck

tut_gareth

mmmmm.

only thing I can think is that copper goes green when it is exposed to moist/damp conditions.............

could be wrong though......

jmhduck

mmmmm.

only thing I can think is that copper goes green when it is exposed to moist/damp conditions.............

could be wrong though......
Yeah I had thought of that although shouldn't the inside of the cable be sealed?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello jmhduck

Quiet a few low cost speaker cables suffer the same fate - either a reaction between the chemicals in the cable jacket and the copper cores or the jacket not being properly sealed to the copper and allowing in moisture.

Shouldn't be a problem (other than unsightly) unless the cables start to get brittle or the end terminations start to go green to.

I'd be tempted to talk to your supplier.

Joe

jmhduck

Ah that makes sense, I did notice it after being out in the rain :S. It was an amazon reseller so not sure how helpful they'll be but I can them a try I guess. Cheers for the info!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you paid using a CC your card Co. should be able to help out if the Reseller is unwilling to help!

Joe

jmhduck

That's a really good idea except I use a Maestro card for my amazon account :(.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Be nice and be firm about the solution you want then!

Joe

jmhduck

I'll give it a try when I'm back in the UK (currently in Vienna till end of July, work placement). Luckily I can buy replacement cable for them if the supplier won't replace the cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom