1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Udo's System(s)

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Kenny Glasgow, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Udo

Since selling off some of your gear, what systems do you now have?

2. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Kenny, I actually only sold my Krell FBP600M monobloc amplifiers recently (and with it my broken Krell KSA 300S stereo amplifiers) as I couldn’t justify anymore the energy wastage which is inherent to all Class A amplifier designs. This sale has reduced my annual energy bill by almost GBP 800 as in Portugal a significant part of the cost is in the declaration (and hence potential availability) of the max. AC current required. And with 5 x FBP600m you need a small power station on its own.

Having said this, I have actually quite some surplus equipment but I tend not to sell as frequently the achievable price is very, very low, a fact that most hifi equipment depreciates enormously. Nevertheless I have listed some of my “sellable” equipment below – maybe somebody is seriously interested.

My main home cinema system consists of a 3.08m x 1.85m motorised Stewart screen, a Barco Cine 9 (which I had lacquered in piano black) fed by the AV192R (which includes all available options - most importantly for video the VSM2048 and the PSM192). Amplifiers are 5 x 250Ms and a 100x5R for the back speakers, with loudspeakers being Wilson Audio Grand Slamm (left/right), Wilson Audio Series V (centre) and 4 Definite Technology BP2000 for the surrounds (these are bipolar speakers including active subwoofers for bass extension). I do not use a 0.1 channel subwoofer as I found the result to be better when using only the Grand Slamms as full range (which go down to subwoofer level).

Source equipment is mainly the DVD32R, although I also use satellite video feeds, Laserdisk players and a D-Theater D-VHS machine from time to time. For the day to day DVD replay (which means playing the very same children DVD disc over and over again), I use a Samsung DVD-HD935 (which also offers DVI output). And if I listen to LPs (although many I have already recorded on CD) I use a SME20 turntable with PPA20 preamplifier.

All my video sources can be routed via a RS232 matrix switcher to 8 locations throughout the house in addition to a Component /DVI link to a 50 inch Hitachi Plasma for day to day viewing.

Music is in addition available in 3 key places, always fed by Aphrodite music systems linked to Calliope, Calliope+Bass modules and in the third case F1s.

Having said all this, 90% of my personal vieving these days is simply watching the daily news and I do this usually on a 14inch 16:9 Panasonic LCD tv. With small children a dedicated home cinema using a CRT projector (hence requiring very low ambient light) isn’t very convenient.

Finally, as promised, the surplus equipment I would love to sell (at the right price of course):.

Hope that answers your question…

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Udo

I know what you mean with kids running about! Still you have plenty of choice when you can find the time :)

I've got a 32SP + DAB and would love to upgrade to DP sometime next year so if you still have yours for sale you never know. You don't do buy now pay later do you? :D

4. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dr Z,
    A pretty impressive set-up in every room!
    . By the way, is the VSM one of the options installed?
    Regards,
    Phil

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Five Krell 600w monoblocs!!!! Thats an insane system Udo :D Despite the electricty bill reduction dont you find a big reduction in headroom coming down from 600w monos to 250w monos? especially driving monster Wilson audios :confused:

6. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Thunder, I actually found the opposite but that is most likely caused by the better output voltage/input sensitivity match of AV192R/250Ms. Furthermore large speakers tend to have a higher sensitivity than smaller ones, the Wilsons are no exception in this matter. And, let's not forget, 600W isn't that much compared to 250W when it comes to volume level as the wattage needs to increase by a factor 10 to achieve twice the perceived volume level.

7. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. boff

boff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HiYa Udo.

I've just upgraded my speakers to B&W nautilus, Having owned a 3802 for many years I've realsied that it just won;t cut the custard anymore!!

A friend of mine had a hifi shop and I've been looking for a DP ever since I showed them how to use TMREQ on their demo machine!!

Boffster

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Udo.
    I told you all those years ago that having children was a life changing experience, enjoy them as they grow up far too quickly...... At least my 11 year old doesn't poke fingers in the speaker cones anymore...but has found the volume knob for his "questionable" taste in music these days :rolleyes: Like Father like Son, according to the other half.....

10. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'll never forget those smileys painted on Dynaudio Evidence Temptation woofers (if the story is true) :)

11. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very nice systems!!!!!

So, do you live in Portugal? (sorry my ignorance) But I only get in into TMA world last month, with my AV30R 7.1.
    As you can see, I live also in Portugal, so do you live where? Algarve?
    Regards,

12. jungool

jungool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dr Zuker,

If the 100x5R amp falls under the list of 'sellable' items, What finish is it (Black or Silver) and how much would you consider letting it go for?.

Regards,

Jungool.

Jungool....Please read the forum rules regarding sales.....all items to be placed in the Classifieds section with a clear price attached....Dr Zucker has been made aware of this,and if he wishes to sell any of his items here,he will have to advertise in the appropriate section.
    Please do not ask for any such information,or via PM

13. jungool

jungool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I accept that i was wrong. It won't happen again.

Were the big red letters really necessary?

Jungool.

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Jungool....I'm not going to discuss typefaces....the warning is intended only to stop yourself,and anyone else who continues to post on this topic asking for either a sale/price,or offering via PM,from contravening the already clear forum rules on that subject.

Since I'd already edited the posts above your subsequent post,it should already have been clear that this was the case.

15. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Alexs

A bit harsh I'd say :thumbsdow

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Kenny...since you didn't get involved in the initial issue of asking for items,or offering via PM,I'd stay out of it.

My comment to jungool was to ensure his own clearance of forum rules,and to ensure those who had posted prior to him,or may consider doing so were well aware of that also.
    The post was also made a day after I'd edited the posts above,so it should have been fairly evident.

Considering all of that,the post is also getting well off your original,and very interesting topic,and Udo's fascinating collection of gear.

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Might I suggest that a link to the classified section be put on the top of the TMA forum and if possible people list their gear for sale in such a manner that the link goes straight to them? This might be good for North-South relations as well... :rotfl: After all people visiting the TMA area might actually be interested in TMA gear for sale :lease:

Just bringing sense to a complicated world......(quote Henry Kissinger)

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interesting idea,Graham,but one that you'd have to take up with Stuart(Wright),the site administrator.

It does however require any person who might be interested in selling to read the relevant rules,and post accordingly.

Now....time to get this back onto the original topic.

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I was thinking of making it bleeding obvious, along the lines of a big flashing banner saying "click here for TMA items for sale", and maybe another link for people to fill in when offering items for sale..... Any posts anywhere else were then fair game for the delete key....

Anyway getting back to the plot, I do wonder what Udo's air conditioning plant must have been costing with all those class A amps.....

20. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Whilst my own collection of Krells is somewhat older and smaller(!) than Udo's I can certainly agree with his comments about energy wastage,and electricity bills....it's vaguely amusing watching the meter whizz round when they're on,and in summertime it can get very hot in the lounge....the new Tact amps look rather nice,but I haven't heard them.

21. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    LOL....still a very nice idea,and still would need Stuart to see if it's possible,but I'd imagine it would need every brand forum to be similarly modified,and will still need the rules to be read!

My air conditioning is a bit cheaper and simpler,consisting of opening a few windows(luckily the neighbours live a reasonable distance away).

22. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry guys that I mentioned my surplus equipment without adding them into the Classified section. Ignoring the fact that I was ignorant of the existence of such section [I only visit the TAG McLaren Audio Forum and when going directly to it, there seems no obvious link to such section (or I can't see it)].

I merely responded, at least that was my intention, to the original question which implied that I had sold significant number of products. I wanted to make sure that everybody understands that I love my TMA equipment today as much as I did, when designing it.

Sorry to the forum's owners that they had to become involved.

23. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Udo...thanks for the reply.

My edits/further replies were/are intended only to prevent anyone falling foul of the rules,which are only there for everyone's protection.
    The link to the classifieds section is on the main menu on the opening page of the forum.

Your enthusiasm and love for the equipment you've designed is as clear as always,and the fact that this forum is used as much as it is indicates that a lot of others feel the same way....myself included.

24. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    alexs

Fair comment :clown: :beer:

25. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    The whole intention of my post was out of interest as Udo's passion for TMA was/is clear for all to see.

I did not intend for it to get serious :blush:

26. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

Kenny...no problems.....your original post was very intersting,and Udo's selection of gear is truly amazing,incl some of the older items(like the Apogee's,which I always loved).

My intention was to stop anyone falling foul of the forum rules.

27. jungool

jungool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny,

You will go far my dear sir.

28. jungool

jungool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alexs2,

Your point is also well taken and i do understand that you're only trying to keep things working in the right order.

I consider my wrist well and truly slapped.

Regards,

Jungool

29. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Like I said above....it's not wrist slapping,simply trying to avoid you,and others running into the rules regarding sales etc,which are enforced for good reason.

30. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225