1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDMA133 advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Nov 20, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have carried out a few rebuilds over the last couple of years, but this time is the first time that I am going to change the hard disk.

I am using an UDMA 133 hard disk, I have some IDE cables come supplied with the motherboard.

My question is how can I tell from the looking at the cable whether it is a UDMA rather than the standared IDE type?

I read that the UDMA cable has 80 wires whereas a standard cable has 40

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What you've read is right, a UDMA cable has twice the number of connections. It should be obvious whether the lead has 40 or 80, but if in doubt simply connect the drive, boot up and see what the BIOS thinks of the transfer mode it's established.

However, my experience is that motherboards over the last 3-4 years have always come with UDMA cables so if this is a recent purchase it's a pretty safe bet it'll be an 80-pin one.

3. big@l

big@l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UDMA cables are colour coded different from normal IDE cables. The motherboard connector is coloured Blue, the master connector (the on on the end) is coloured Black and the slave connector (in the middle) is coloured Grey. Normal IDE connectors are all coloured Black.

HTH

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thanks for that, mine is a rather luvely bright yellow ribbon with blue, black and grey connectors.