UDM Pro WAN Failover

Markr123

I have a fairly extensive home network comprising (in part) of Draytek 130 modem (fed by BT VDSL service) to UDM PRO and a number of other switches / AP’s down stream. Being in a small rural village, our service is not always great.
Im looking for a 4G failover and wondering if others have experience in suitable solutions. Tethering an iPhone is ok for a laptop but not viable for much else.
The 4G modem really needs to have the following specs
  • Ethernet port for UDMP (connection via WAN2 SFP port)
  • Ability to add external antenna (as my server cab in in the middle of house and 4G in not amazing inside)
  • Not carrier bound
I’ve seen the UniFi LTE that I think @mushii linked to in a post back in Dec.
Ive also seen a Netgear LTE device

Any real world experience including how well (or poorly) the UDM Pro handles the failover? Just to be clear, I’m not interested in load balancing and I don’t think the UDMP handles this anyway.
Many thanks

Markr123

How about something like this ? Though you might be double NAT when on 4G.

Thanks @oneman. Do you have personal experience of this? From what I’ve read, this unit has a directional antenna which given the geography, and not knowing which distant tower provides the best service would present some real challenges.
Also the double NAT may likely present a headache.

oneman

Thanks @oneman. Do you have personal experience of this? From what I’ve read, this unit has a directional antenna which given the geography, and not knowing which distant tower provides the best service would present some real challenges.
Also the double NAT may likely present a headache.
Nope, but if you call broadband buyer they are pretty knowledgeable.

I personally have an Asus router that I can plug in an Android phone via USB to give me redundancy for my WAN connection.

Markr123

Thanks have used them before but ideally looking for real world experiences rather than reseller opinions.

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
I run Unifi with a 5G connection as primary and a DSL line as backup.

The Unifi’s aren’t great for failover. It’s not very intelligent and nowhere near as good as offerings from dedicated routers such as from Cisco and SonicWall.

It’s just ok, and a little slow to switch over. It’s also impossible from the interface to route different computers over different WANs; that can only be done via the command line, which is fairly poor from Unifi.

oneman

I run Unifi with a 5G connection as primary and a DSL line as backup.

The Unifi’s aren’t great for failover. It’s not very intelligent and nowhere near as good as offerings from dedicated routers such as from Cisco and SonicWall.

It’s just ok, and a little slow to switch over. It’s also impossible from the interface to route different computers over different WANs; that can only be done via the command line, which is fairly poor from Unifi.
I think OP was asking what modem you are using for your 5G that will work with a low signal.

inkinoo

Distinguished Member
I think OP is trying to avoid double NAT so is looking for a straight modem rather than router.
To be fair, even with a router only, you still get double NAT as nearly all mobile connections don’t give you a direct, external IP.

oneman

To be fair, even with a router only, you still get double NAT as nearly all mobile connections don’t give you a direct, external IP.
That is true but hopefully their NAT is better implemented than most domestic routers.

Markr123

Thanks all for the input so far. Taken the plunge on the Netgear as linked in the original post. There was a used example for £96 (down from ~£130) on Amazon so can return if it doesn’t work out. As a modem, with Ethernet pass through it “should” avoid the double NAT. Also can add external antenna if needed.

I like the UniFi device but at this time, can really justify the ~£250 asking price.

I ordered an EE PAYG SIM and a 10Gtek SFP transceiver. Use these modules quite a bit across my home network and are fantastic in terms of reliability.

Kit arriving Friday so will update here on how well / badly it performs soon after. Still looking at external antennas but will see how I go getting the UDMP switching WAN connections before I dive into that.

Last edited:

Maverick567

Thanks all for the input so far. Taken the plunge on the Netgear as linked in the original post. There was a used example for £96 (down from ~£130) on Amazon so can return if it doesn’t work out. As a modem, with Ethernet pass through it “should” avoid the double NAT. Also can add external antenna if needed.

I like the UniFi device but at this time, can really justify the ~£250 asking price.

I ordered an EE PAYG SIM and a 10Gtek SFP transceiver. Use these modules quite a bit across my home network and are fantastic in terms of reliability.

Kit arriving Friday so will update here on how well / badly it performs soon after. Still looking at external antennas but will see how I go getting the UDMP switching WAN connections before I dive into that.
How did you get on with this??

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom